Story time: My 1974 B210 4dr. It ain't easy being green.

Dguy210

So after seeing the new B210 section I decided to tell the story of my sedan and to satiate you oic whores :fu:

My 1974 B210 sedan, I bought it with 78k on it back in '99 after I wrecked my B110. Back then it actually had reasonably decent dark green paint, with only a little fading on the roof and hood. I then proceeded to drive the ever-loving piss out of it with a long daily commute, and I ended up rolling the odometer twice by 2002 (250k now).

The car started life as an auto but I converted it to a manual in 2000, I also upgraded the rearend from a later model. I rebuilt the A13 in early 2001, but ended up dropping a valve in late 2002 and trashing the engine. I was pretty broke so I got a franken A14 made up of spare parts and some new gaskets from my Dad (my family has had several Datsun's past and present and alot of spare engines, parts etc, were kicking around in the garage). The carb is a total hackjob, but strangely runs pretty well. By 2004 I had bought another car (the benz) and the car sat outside of my craptastic apartment, I had pretty much stopped driving it except to move it once a week for street cleaning. Unfortunately, it then proceeded to get vandalized, and hit several times, including by the mailman, and a couple of hit and runs. After a couple of those nasty orange abandoned vehicle stickers, I put a coat of rattle can black on it in 2007, so it was at least all one color. Thankfully, by 2008 I was able to get a garage, and get it off the street. Since then it has been acting as the backup car, and the parts hauler. Last year I discovered Ratsun and I finally decided to fix it up, and correct alot of the broke-ass "farmer fixes" I had used previously.

So far I have replaced the clutch slave cylinder, and rebuilt the master, shot a new coat of black on it, and started replacing the suspension bits (made more difficult by rockauto sending me the wrong tierods, albeit in the right part numbered boxes blink.gif). I have a long todo list to get it where I want it, this will probably get updated slowly as work is usually kicking my ass.

So onto the pictures:

myb210sm.jpg

I added the extra driving lights as I was doing alot of driving down unlit country roads. They also work well when a dumbass big 'ol pickup driver decides to tailgate and blind you with their brights :devil:.
front.jpg
b210-dash.jpg
I really like tie-wraps.
engine.jpg
The 12v socket is actually one of the most useful things I added.
charge-port.jpg
data-plate.jpg

Replacement fenders, that I will someday get around to installing.
new-fenders.jpg
Some fun books.
books.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 3
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i like that dark green, i dont think id ever seen one with that color before, must be for the earlier models

It's just a touch darker than John Deere Green. I actually used knockoff tractor paint from a farm supply store for touching up the roof when I first got it, and it matched pretty decently.

I have a similar story with my '76 B210 Sedan.

CIMG0138.jpg

I got mine in '87 from a friend, it had 102K miles when I bought it for $500, I now have 232K miles on it. I just passed smog again after putting on a new CAT, Check valve and EGR valve. I'm still running the original engine.

CIMG0146.jpg

I'm working on a new look, 14X6 mags in the back and keeping my 13's in the front.

CIMG0137.jpg

I found a nice 74 Fastback B210 on ebay, I'll post a link later.

I found this 1974 B210 Coupe on EBAY, there are two days left in the auction, the current bid is $1,324 and the reserve price has not been met.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270612501188&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I bet they are asking $5K. The car is in NY and the headlights don't work because the fuse keeps blowing out, so they say. I guess you can't drive it at night. :poop:

well it does only have 54k on it, as they say. plus people outside of the west coast dont realize how rare b210s are. my grandma left me mine- from california- ten years ago and since then ive seen only one other running b210 in or around my city. im not saying that i would have paid 5k for it but they are rare.

Note the dash has also been hacked up to fit that radio and the external gauges. Also looks like the dash might have some of the radio speaker cracks, but the picture is at kind of a bad angle to tell. I'm surprised we didn't get an engine shot.

• 1 year later...

e823ce93.jpg

Most recent pic. I may need to drop the front a bit still, or go with a larger tire. Running 280zx struts and chopped B210 springs. I still need to swap bumpers and get an duckbill or something. Made a lot of changes but been really lazy about updating.

• Like 1

Im liking those mirrors

also you could get a mk1 golf duck bill for like $60

I was surprised by how well the fender mirrors work once you get them adjusted. They're the ebay Thailand mirrors, although strangely they shipped from Germany :huh:

Yeah, I've been thinking about one of those duckbills. I've been hoping one will show up local at the pick-n-pull, as the wife sometimes wonders about how much I'm spending when large Datsun shaped packages show up at the door :lol:

Some of the changes:

Engine: then and now

engine.jpg

P1030734.jpg

New front and back seats:

P1030739.jpg

P1030740.jpg

Old rear seats:

c4f92748.jpg

I absolutely love these front seats btw. Even my wife remarked on how comfortable they were.

78 Porsche 924, tombstone seats. Pretty easy conversion. I posted them in one of the B210 seat threads awhile back.

its alot easier of a conversion if you dont have a cadi im guessing :P i felt like i had seen them before but wasnt sure. alot of the seats people swap never look right to me, these look confortable and period correct.

• 2 weeks later...

First time trying this, still working out the details, this was a test to see if it would destroy the original emblem with the silicone. The bubbles are from a reaction to the mold release, and were not there when I poured :angry:. Looks like I can skip the mold release anyways though. The little piece I just made using some leftover epoxy really quickly and colored with a paint pen so I would have an idea. No where near good enough quality yet. I need to go pickup some real resin and proof the defects in the mold.

a893ee6a.jpg

So just as soon as I get this perfected, this is next:

0761f926.jpg