Where have all the 70's 200sx's gone?

Sure the US version had ugly ass bumpers, but you just never ever see them. With a drop, the right wheel tire combo... and if we could do something about that grill... I don't know.

Then again, maybe there is a reason they are not around any more, but I admit, I like them.

I hada cheesy 1982 Dodge Charger 2.2 as a teen. Man I loved that car, I did some serious heavymetal head banging in that puppy. (LAst pics) That might explain my soft spot!

351487_21_full.jpg

SCOTT.JPG

77_200sx.jpg

351487_13_full.jpg

B185.jpg

dodge-11.jpg

Charger22-thumb.jpg

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an '82 Dodge Omni, black and it had a rear spoiler??? I found a black Charger hood and then the two front fender vents like on the Firebirds. Converted it into a Charger, drove across Canada and back twice, totally reliable motor.

Oh man that Charger 2.2 had so many fake spoilers on it it was hysterical! But a tough little engine for sure! The guys with 80's 5.0 mustangs used to laugh at the proud little 2.2 stickers all over the place.

But man it has nice cushy seats that totally reclined, and you could look up through that massive moonroof. Oh man the girls loved that shit, and two people could fit pretty well in that passenger seat if you catch my drift!:cool:

I dove mine back and fourth from GA to VA more times than I can remember during college. I broke a timing belt once. A total hassle to get it back on, but ran like a champ after that! I was always jealous of those guys with there Shelby versions!

I have my dad's '90 Sundance now and plan a road trip across Canada next week!!! These seats don't recline! The last winter road trip like this was 15 years ago in the Omni. I spent a night in Brandon, Manitoba during the second week of February. LJ's, clothes, parka and big ass sleeping bag on reclined front seat. I was fine, but DAMN it was freakin' colder than a witch's tit.

Really liked the reverse hood scoop. At a quick glance it looked like a 5.0 with the rear spoiler. .... I'm dreamin'...

As for the 1st gen 200SX, I'm afraid the crushed pic is too true. I've seen five in the Spokane Upulls in the last three or so years. And just yesterday, I saw a sixth one there. It was one sad little SX. Must have been sitting out in the woods for years. Pine needles under the hood on either side of the engine, I mean full level with the top of the block. Sorry to know it will be crushed though. I got the dogleg shift knob from it for a buck. One of the few parts on it worth getting. I've seen maybe another 8 to 10 of these cars live in the wild in the same time period. Well maybe not live, usually parked and likely non-running. One for sale in Spokane right now ($500 I think), although auto trans.

And then there is the '79 parked in my driveway. My daily driver, at least until my 510 is back together. I bought the SX from a gypo car lot for $100 cash and two six-packs of Rolling Rock. It was non-running due to bad gas, but I got it running and saved it from the crusher. I have to smile nearly every time I look at it. It is just so weird looking.

Len I'd love to see a pic of your 79 sx! Ice I agree with you about the 610 2 door. There is one south of me with super low miles for $500. Automatic though. But my awesome datsun-supportive wife just HATES the look of the 610. I even bought an original sales flier to try to convince her. No dice.

She would rather me get a 320 or 411 or even an early 60's sedan than a 70's 610.

I like the look. There's an orange one near me (710???)but I haven't seen it for some time. A little old lady drives (auto) past me while I'm working and it takes me by surprise. Usually near the hospital so maybe she does volunteer work?? Should go and ask around. There's an old guy in town named Joe who has a 620. It runs but doesn't move for months at a time. The old boy talks through a hole in his throat with this vibrator thing. Doesn't really need the truck but csn't bring himself to sell either. I asked if he would leave it to me in his will and he laughed through the hole. Weird, but he's an alright guy. Told him I'd drop by every year or so in case he changes his mind. Couldn't let mine go either but maybe some young'n will ask and I'll leave it to him.

I know a guy with a 200sx with box flares. The thing looks like a freakin' transformer! IMO, some of the ugliest cars datsun made (next to the 2+2 Z's), but their ugliness makes them kinda cool.

Robot in disguise...

normal_IMG_1452.jpg

Okay, so here is my little sweetie. It doesn't look so bad in the pic, but maybe not so good in real life. I mentioned I paid $100 and two six-packs of Rolling Rock. People who've seen the car have suggested I seriously overpaid. But it has been a faithful little driver, and taught me a lot about Datsuns. And makes me smile a lot.

200SX_web.jpg

"...if it ran". Huh? What fun would that be? Actually, it was real close to running, but had to be hauled home. Siphoned out the old gas (I've somewhat acquired a taste for stale gas since I've taken up Datsuns), did an inept job of cleaning the carb with spray carb cleaner, and it finally fired up.

It has a good L20B and dogleg tranny. I thought of pulling these and sticking in my 510 when I got it, but didn't have the heart to kill the SX. Also, when driving $75 and $100 cars, it's good to have at least a couple, in hopes one might be running. Maybe a third would be a good idea. There is a 521 truck I'm trying to resist.

Another thing that made the 200SX well worth the money - it annoyed the hell out of my wife for quite a while after I got it. She had some strange idea I should buy a decent car. I think when I hauled the dead 510 home, she finally gave up. Now she accepts the Datsuns as unexplained weirdness on my part.

The pink tractor is a 1948 Case VAO. The original Case color was an orange-red, but it faded fast. I've read Case dealers needed to sell them fast, because they would start to fade while still new.

The wife is pretty much stuck with me. I've suffered with her horses for so many years, she owes me a few dead Datsuns showing up in the driveway. I sidetracked our Christmas shopping Saturday to hit Pull & Save. She started to object, and then admitted I'd waited for her outside tack stores many, many hours. She has even held an umbrella to shade me while I was pulling parts in the summer. Can't beat that kind of service.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the Tigard U-pull-it last weekend and there was a 77 or 78 200sx. Pretty sure is had a 5-speed in it. Didnt realize that these cars had the Doglegs. And the 200mm 6 bolt flywheels.

Just a heads up for anyone interested, cause i cant go pull these parts.

I did manage to get the intermittent windsheild wiper switch from it to hopefull install into my 620.

Jason

These S10's are supposed to be pulling a small fortune in japan these days.

I reckon they are cool as, weird looking - yes, but one restored to factory specs but lowered would be cool as.

They have that kind of spaceship look about them, like the pacer in waynes world.