The MOST important thing that You can do!!!!!

Steroid

I have wanted to start this thread for years. I finally did this the other day to My 1972 1/2 620 pickup. As it was a desert truck for most of it's life, much dirt had accumulated as well as eukeliptus leaves, etc. This is in the area under the cowl and I am going to show You how to clean it (I strongly suggest YEARLY) to keep damage from occuring to Your truck. This will also explain why leaves, dirt and dust blow out when You turn on Your heater's vent as well as why 620s commonly rust out in the lower rear side of the front fenders. This is NOT the truck's fault!!!! It is because of a simple lack of attention so.......... Let's get started!!!!

First, open Your hood and prop it up. You are going to be removing carefully with a 14mm BOX END wrench Your windshield wipers. Next, use a stubby phillips head screwdriver to remove Your cowl. There are, if they are still on Your truck, 4 black plastic "grommets" under the windshield where the 4 cowl "tabs" stick in. KEEP TRACK OF THEM. Either leave them in place or CAREFULLY remove them, as well as the screws. You do NOT want to vaccuum them up!!!!! Next, lift out Your cowl away from where it sits backwards from the hood. It should easily come out. What You are going to see is the ducting that leads air from outside into the top of Your heater. You will also be seeing Your windshield wiper linkage and the two "squirters" for the windshield fluid. There is also, on the passenger's side, a metal plate with 2 screws. Remove it. You can now access easily the whole inner cowl area. The fun is about to begin!!! Using a vaccuum cleaner and an old toothbrush, take Your time to fully clean and vaccuum out the whole area. Especially reach back on each side to the farthest areas where the top of the rear front fender is, under the windshield corner. THAT is where dirt and debris collects to plug up the drain causing it to fall down behind the lower fender and rust begins on a lot of trucks. Not more to explain on how to do this. It's a "hands on" chore!! Clean all around where the hood hinges are spot welded on and also the windshield wiper posts come out. After You have vaccuumed out the entire area, take a drop or two of oil and place on the hood hinge where the bolt goes through. I use synthetic oil. Next, CAREFULLY remove the rubber caps on each windshield wiper post. Add a drop or two there and replace the rubber cap. Put back that plate with the 2 screws after cleaning it or painting it and then the cowl. You are done!!

I have sent some pictures to Mark that He will hopefully post, but get this...............

I removed 33 OUNCES of debris from that area!!!!!!! Also, the hood will not bind now. This should be a summertime chore for You guys as You don't want to be messing with mud or wet leaves. A strong vaccuum will remove it all if the dirt is dry. I use a "Rainbow" water collection vaccuum so I was able to pour out all that had collected and photograph. Hope this helps!!!!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My question is what device did you use to get the specific ounce measurment of that debris you weighed :blink:

:rofl:

USPS Scale :P ,,,,,,,,,,,, hoping he didn't walk into the grocery store to use the "fruit/vegetable" scales :rofl:

You is a man of a tousand questions ! tankyou come-again

• 2 weeks later...