86 720 4x4

720 dustin

i have a 1986 nissan 720 4x4 i love the lil truck the interior is shot and under the hood dont look to great but i love it its a blast to drive besides all that i was wondering if the body panels from a hardbpdy model nissan would fit my 720 im also curious about suspension and other modifications im aiming for a baja style prerunner look with the exception of four wheel drive i am new to these forums if you guys have any web links go info please let me know i will post pics soon when i figure it out lol

1986nissan7204x4.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The D21 is the next generation truck and totally different from the 720. The complete body and box could maybe be swapped but nothing else will match.

yeah i was thinkin it might be wider and maybe a lil bit longer than the 720 you dont think any of the front suspension pieces will work mine is the 86 the hardbody which you already know came out in 86.5 im just lookin for the rear squat and flex

i have a 1986 nissan 720 4x4 i love the lil truck the interior is shot and under the hood dont look to great but i love it its a blast to drive besides all that i was wondering if the body panels from a hardbpdy model nissan would fit my 720 im also curious about suspension and other modifications im aiming for a baja style prerunner look with the exception of four wheel drive i am new to these forums if you guys have any web links go info please let me know i will post pics soon when i figure it out lol

1986nissan7204x4.jpg

Nice looking truck.....why did you remove the lift and 33s......MPG issues? ;)

Guess they go hand in hand......

Anywho.....There are people always looking for that lift kit if you ever want to 'flog' it.

Nice looking truck.....why did you remove the lift and 33s......MPG issues? ;)

Guess they go hand in hand......

Anywho.....There are people always looking for that lift kit if you ever want to 'flog' it.

thanks. yup mpg issues over heating huge power loss top speed was i think 55 or 60 its doin alot better now and the lift kit is only the body but anywasy im lookin for any info on after market or what i should do im for sure swappin the z24 for a vg30de with a side mount bolt on supercharger matchin rearend and trans

thanks. yup mpg issues over heating huge power loss top speed was i think 55 or 60 its doin alot better now and the lift kit is only the body but anywasy im lookin for any info on after market or what i should do im for sure swappin the z24 for a vg30de with a side mount bolt on supercharger matchin rearend and trans

When the Z24 4X4 came out Nissan switched from 4.375 down to 4.11 rear ends to save gas. A good swap is to put '81-

82 diffs in, specially with larger tires.

Did you change the speedometer pinion for one that corrects for the 33" tires? If not you were likely doing better than 55-60. My 620 with 4.11s and 33s would do over 60 and that was with an L20B motor.

As to the 86 and 86.5, I think some of the front disc and spindles may swap. The D-21 is maybe an inch wider on each side, not noticeable on a 4X4 really. I have a 'Yoda SAS that is an inch wider on each side and I can't tell looking at it.

When the Z24 4X4 came out Nissan switched from 4.375 down to 4.11 rear ends to save gas. A good swap is to put '81-

82 diffs in, specially with larger tires.

Did you change the speedometer pinion for one that corrects for the 33" tires? If not you were likely doing better than 55-60. My 620 with 4.11s and 33s would do over 60 and that was with an L20B motor.

As to the 86 and 86.5, I think some of the front disc and spindles may swap. The D-21 is maybe an inch wider on each side, not noticeable on a 4X4 really. I have a 'Yoda SAS that is an inch wider on each side and I can't tell looking at it.

Ya.....he could add 15+% on his (55-60) speedo........

A little better.

Was the parking brake possibly engaged.....and or uphill?

:P

Actually...running my 30's don't reflect much of any loss of power on hills.....guess the engine has a little snap left in it... :cool:

A little better.

Actually...running my 30's don't reflect much of any loss of power on hills.....guess the engine has a little snap left in it... :cool:

the rims are from a toyota got the truck like that they are 7'' wide im now running 30x9's and to add to it it is carb'd and yes my truck does sit bit higher than yours there rear leafs are stock i think and the torsions have been played with i think they are swayways not to sure also the guy that did all the work to it just put the body lift on and was runnin 32's i swapped to 33's and lost a huge amount of power didnt affect the four wheel low just top end i have only had the truck for about 6 months or so so still learning about it its pretty tough tryin to find parts for it any ideas on where i could find the fender flares ?

think i saw a kit once and it was 1500 dollars. a solid axle swap is a do it yourself thing really. the kit is retarded, it came with universal parts. Better off finding a yota and yanking the front off it and fabricating it to your truck.

think i saw a kit once and it was 1500 dollars. a solid axle swap is a do it yourself thing really. the kit is retarded, it came with universal parts. Better off finding a yota and yanking the front off it and fabricating it to your truck.

thats what a friend of mine told me also can the faberglass front fenders from a d21 be modified to fit my 720 ? i know im ful of questions lol i just want to figure everything out now so im not throwing money away later no need for that im still tryin to figure out if i should go prerunner/baja with my truck or just jack it up with huge power but at the same time keeping it reliable

A little better.

where did you find your fender flares ? are they oem ?

thats what a friend of mine told me also can the faberglass front fenders from a d21 be modified to fit my 720 ? i know im ful of questions lol i just want to figure everything out now so im not throwing money away later no need for that im still tryin to figure out if i should go prerunner/baja with my truck or just jack it up with huge power but at the same time keeping it reliable

you might be able to graft them on there. Hard to tell. but with some $ and time/patience you could probably get something going for it.

where did you find your fender flares ? are they oem ?

Correct....OEM.

Have about.....1 to 5 pairs + - ......give or take.... ;)

Most are.... and or will be possibly in use

Always need backup...... :D

It's a hoarding thing....can't explain it......:rolleyes:..... :lol:

Correct....OEM.

Have about.....1 to 5 pairs + - ......give or take.... ;)

Most are.... and or will be possibly in use

Always need backup...... :D

It's a hoarding thing....can't explain it......:rolleyes:..... :lol:

lol yeah i understand that do you know where i could get a set i like they way yours looks with the on.....

Max out.. you mean raise the vehicle? The problem with this is that it will change the camber on the front wheels. As you go up the tops of the tires will tilt in toward each other placing more weight on the insides of the tire tread and wearing them smooth. There are some shims on the upper control arms that can be removed to allow the arm (and the top of the tire) to move outward, but it isn't very much. I think this inward tilt will also affect the toe in as well. The tires will be facing away from each other at the front. This can be corrected.

A couple of inches above stock is about it as they weren't designed by Nissan to go this high without affecting steering abd suspension geometry. I would have a front end alignment afterward, but don't be surprised if they tell you they can't get it right because it's too high.

i need to know if maxing out my torsions could cause any real damage i dont think it will i just want to be safe

How does it ride on the back roads.....when you hit a deep rut?

One of my trucks is 'cranked'.....not bad at all around town......but....off road....not good.

P2240003.jpg

How does it ride on the back roads.....when you hit a deep rut?

One of my trucks is 'cranked'.....not bad at all around town......but....off road....not good.

P2240003.jpg

well it rides alright i mean the truck has been beat on but to my suprise its still really solid...... There is some play in the stearing which i think is just common 720.... the torsions are crnked a lil bit and i dont think the rear end sits to stock height . Also im curious about the centering pon on the rear axle i want to squat the rear end but not sure how to exactly any siggestions ?