620 race truck

Abe Froman

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really like to know what part number griffin radiator he is running, looks like it fits very well.

Amd for some reason 123mph in the standing mile just does not seem that fast to me, neither does the 132 record at bonneville. Maybe these vehicles end up weighing a bit extra becausae of all the safety equipment.

Well, take your Datsun out to a long stretch of seldom traveled road and see how fast you can go. Don't really do this by the wayunsure.gif

The truck owners should know that they are allowed to put a spoiler under the bumper in the PMP class.

It may not seem fast but it must be hard to do or they would be going faster.

well what are the chassis rules for that class?

prolly limited to stock gearboxes and stock gearsets for the rearend is my bet...

my guess is hes prolly working with like a z car 5 speed and 410s 437s and is at redline when he gets the 120 somethin.

Well, without know all of the rules for the classes, i find it very easy to do 100 in my 620.

Stock L20, 5spd, and 3.89 rear gears, nad when reading 95mph i am only turning about 4k rpm, and still pulling.

So, to think that this is with a stock motor, a few performance goodies would certainly allow the speeds to increase a lot. I just dont think that it would be that hard to get another 20-30 Mph out of a one of these trucks. They dont weigh very much either. Mine hits the scales at 2450 with my fatass in it.

in a one mile sprint though?

Well, 60+ is not a problem to do in the 1/4 mile drags with this stock motor, so with a few goodies i bet that it would not be too hard.

Do we have a challenge here?

Always wanted to go to Bonneville salt flats. I would be happy to give my truck a top speed run.

Don't forget to check your tire size against that 100mph at 4k, just in case

http://community.rat...for-620-trucks/

I think if you are going under 175 you have to pull off the course at 2 or 3 miles. And my guess is getting from 100 to 130 is much harder than it seems.

The class rules allow for certain changes and I don't think you are limited to stock rear end. The grill has to be uncovered, but you can add a spoiler, there are very specific rules for how the spoiler is built. I ordered a rulebook for 2011, hopefully I will get it soon.

The safety requirements for an SCTA event like Bonneville are very restrictive. the role cages would limit your trucks use as a driver, most LSR cars are purpose built for land speed racing.

Check out this site, the 130 club is the most simple way to run your driver on the salt

http://www.saltflats.com/

They won't look at anyone like you are crazy, unless you are.

I think a 620 with a built l20 should own the PMP (production mid-sized pick up) class

• 4 years later...

I just thought I'd bring this thread back up, since we have a team building a Datsun 620 trying to beat that little VW this year at Bonneville.  As soon as the cab goes on, I'll post more photos, but at this point its a mad scramble against the clock.  

I've been blogging the build here:

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,2952281

datlow.JPG