Part substitution or interchange information

Paul G.

I am starting this thread with the hope that will be a place to share information about available parts can be substituted for 410 and 411 parts that are difficult to find.

This post by Mike was my spark of inspiration. It lists some fixes and alternatives to the difficult to obtain water pump for the SSS and Sportwagons with the 1600 engine.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...the memory is a bit foggy...But, the RL411 has exhaust which routes through the driver's side fender wall. There is a donut clamp which hold the exhaust together. I tried a clamp from a L320, but it didn't work.

I was later able to source the proper clamp from an MG. Sorry I don't remember the part number, but the clamp was readily available.

the water pump for the sss cars is used off a roadster motor and you must use the original hub off your water pump to make it work.

the front brake pads for the disk brakes you can use 510 pads i believe thats the same app.

The RL411 thermostat housing can be rebuilt if it's not too badly corroded using inch and a quarter steel tubing, a grinder and JBWeld or equvalent but the better fix is to substitute the housing from a Kia Sephia. You need to enlarge the metric holes for the mounting bolts but once you have done that it looks virtually identical to NOS, The water chamber above the thermostat has a slightly different shape but unless you see the original and this unit you wouldn't know it was swapped. Use the gasket from a MOPAR aluminum V6, it has the proper spacing and seals very well.

BTW the MOPAR housing is almost perfect for the roadster but would shove the radiator hose right into the RL411 fan.

• 1 month later...