How to paint your car with Rustoleum

Its looking good, i bought a gallon of safety red to do my 620, my buddy has a wagner sprayer that i plan on using, i have done alot of body work over the years but never done a paint job, i have the truck striped down to just the cab, i wanted to run 1 coat with all the parts off then put it together and paint it. any tips i might need befor i start

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i sprayed my first coat today with the rustoleum....im shitting a brick it ran purdy bad and i look like a coors light can not to mention im not a body guy but the rustoleum will hopefully fill the imprefections in my primer/bondo work. think im gonna leave mine at a 400 grit i used there aluminum color and that shit will blind you in the sunlight :cool:

• 1 month later...

I just want to add that you shouldnt do any buffing or polishing for at least 14 days to let the paint fully cure. At least that's how it is with auto paint, rustoleum may be different. Awesome write up. I'm going to give it a shot on my 240. Did you get down to bare metal and primer first it just right on top of the old paint?

I just want to add that you shouldnt do any buffing or polishing for at least 14 days to let the paint fully cure. At least that's how it is with auto paint, rustoleum may be different. Awesome write up. I'm going to give it a shot on my 240. Did you get down to bare metal and primer first it just right on top of the old paint?

Scuff the old paint before a new layer...

and 24 hours should be good before sanding. I have even sanded as soon as 12 hours after applying a coat on a very hot day.

• 10 months later...

Just painted the Girl Friend's Mom's 1991 Toyota Corolla

3 parts aluminum/ 2 parts blue + 10% mineral spirits.

This was sprayed with a Snap-On HVLP gun, but I had pretty decent success with the Harbor Freight HVLP gun on other projects too.

2011-10-12%25252020.27.07.jpg

2011-10-12%25252020.26.54.jpg

Coat 2 is going on first thing in the morning.

Probably should have used rustoleum primer with spraying this stuff... now I know lol

we have $38 in this paint job as far as paint goes. Probably $20 worth of rags and sand paper for the DA.

I love the look with a little texture. This idea is winning my vote. On the Mopar forum theres alot of guys who have pulled this off and from the pics could'nt even notice that its rolled on. I would much rather spend some elbow grease then money. And you'll blow peoples minds when they find out how you painted your car. Keep the pics coming!!!

Guest kamakazi620

This thread is funny as Fuck!!!! Hondar guys have been doing this for YEARS!!! the paint jobs only last for 2-4 years its Not automotive paint,i say fizz can for cheap paint + save$$$$ for A REAL paint job

Guest kamakazi620

This is the same thing that Radio does. Cept in Canadia it is called Tremclad not Rustoleum.

I can't flip you shit,You gots A REAL paint job,and it looks great + it will last ya 10+ years

I can't flip you shit,You gots A REAL paint job,and it looks great + it will last ya 10+ years

Cept it looks like crap, and Im going to repaint it in a year or 2... Basically I didnt do my prep work right... And I need to get a new door...

• 1 month later...

This thread is funny as fuck... just not funny like hahaha.

It's been about three years since I painted my bumpers, door handles, windshield wipers and steel wheels with Rustoleum. I stripped everything to metal, applied an acid wash and then metal conditioner, two coats of DP Epoxy primer and three coats of Satin Black Rusto thinned with synthetic reducer ( I used to use Acetone but found this reducer @ Industrial finishes that flashes faster and lets you use a smaller orifice for the finish coats).

It held up really well for about the first two years... but now it has started to oxidize a little. It's pretty much like I thought when i heard all this bullshit about painting a car with Rusto... IT'S PHOTO-CHEMICALLY REACTIVE! That is why automotive paints are so expensive.

I found that I can take an oily rag and wipe the bumper so it looks better but the reason that I used Rusto was that my truck is a daily driver. I wanted to be able to touch up paint easily and it is easy to do. It's a pretty tough finish and has held up really well on the wheels and bumpers. But, I did all the right prep too.

It seems like if you are going to all the trouble to prep a vehicle, that it is just stupid to use crappy paint, what a waste of time... and money.

When I was in high school had a '58 VW microbus. I used to go to Scherba's (member Scherba's??? I think they got bought by Schucks or Autozone) and buy rattle cans for fifty-nine cents. It took about five or six cans to do the whole thing, but it was a different color every month.

About '85 or so my 620 got retired from being my work truck. I started to park it on my job sites as a dump truck. I had lumber racks with plywood sides and would drive it to the dump every week. It was rusting all over and starting to melt... plus it looked horrible in front of the multi-million dollar homes I was working on. So, I painted it with a gallon of Marine Enamel that was $21 a gallon.

I didn't know to wash the truck before and after I sanded it. I used rattle can primer and hosed on THREE coats of that stuff. It oxidized in two years too, held up great as a finish... on the sides of the truck... but on the top where the sun hit, the primer failed and it just flaked and left a rusty mess in five years. The bummer was all these years later it was a major-league bummer to have to remove all that crappy paint to do a decent paint job. For that alone I would say fuck Rusto or cheap paint on bodywork.

As with any paint, it's how you apply it.

I've done a few and will definitely do more.

You guys who try to rip someone off when they are just trying to have some fun restoring their car in their own fashion:...you must hate this kind of thing. You probably hate Ratsun, since it is the epitome of your antithesis. It will be fun to pass you by.

Oh, BTW, this works so great in the NW because it rains so much. Once there is any water on the finish, it glows like a $20,000 paint job. Just like it.

My sons helped me with a black 720 king cab. When we got this S130 from Eastern Washington, it just cried out for a Rustoleum gloss black conversion. And my boys now knew what to do and we painted it behind our house.

I picked up a gallon of Tremclad when I was in Canada. It's a VOC thing re why we don't have it in the US. I think the choice of colors is funny with these paints. Recognize yo. http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb237/DAW_cars/selling%20my%20cars/96MercedesBenzC280000153.jpg

• 1 year later...

Krylon Fusion Rattle can sprayed 5 years ago. Has sat in the weather since then, sun, snow, rain. Hit it was some polish each year like you would normal auto paint and it stays nice and shiny. Total cost of paint $89.

I have used Tremclad as well, it does not come out with as deep a shine and it goes chalky after a year or so. The only issue with the Krylon is you MUST do it all at once. As the paint begins to set the next will react and you will get spider webbing and sever orange peal. Each coat needs to be done wet on wet. Helps to have 2 ppl spray the car at he same time.

gze009.jpg