L4N71B Transmission into Early 10-Series Car

zerow

Wahahaha I had that bookmarked!!!

:lol: I have had this saved for like 3 years. I have it at the ready for when I go to the transmission shop.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as that driveline question I threw out there, I meant for a Maxima. Are you guys fabbing the 2-piece into a single-length driveline? I think I found my L4N71B, I just need to know if I'll be able to do my harvesting off of a single vehicle. It's an 83 sedan.

Had mine at least 2 years maybe more. laugh.gif Had the L4N71B for longer. I'm going to do it myself.

Got mine here. Is this the same with yours because if different maybe there's a better diagram.

Same place I got mine. My saved date is from 2006. I thought there was another diagram out there, but I am wrong (so far).

:huh:? Mine is the single length driveline. I'm confused...???

You're using the 610 driveline.. not using the Maxima one to fab a new one? So there's no reason for me to get the Maxima driveline? I won't need the splined end that goes into the trans or the flange that mates to the diff? The 610 driveline is just bolt-in and go after a little shaving of the tranny tail-stock?

You're using the 610 driveline.. not using the Maxima one to fab a new one? So there's no reason for me to get the Maxima driveline? I won't need the splined end that goes into the trans or the flange that mates to the diff? The 610 driveline is just bolt-in and go after a little shaving of the tranny tail-stock?

To answer your questions:

Am I using the 610 driveline? Negative and No, not the correct spline count or length when using the L4N71B.

The Maxima driveline is required for the splined end? Affirmative and Yes, as the 3N71B and L4N71B have different diameters and spline counts.

Am I fabbing a Driveline? Negative and No, mine was part of the car that I took the transmission out of. (IIRC a 1983 Maxima Coupe)

The 610 driveline is just a bolt-in and go after a little shaving of the tailstock? Negative and No, I am having a part machined as an adaptor.

Don't shave the tailstock, there is a plan in the works for that. I am hoping the part will be available before the end of the month.

As for the Maxima driveline, the one I picked up from the J/Y has two U-Joints, so if I misrepresented the driveline I have as being two piece, then that would explain it. The actual driveline itself is one solid piece other than the two u-joints (one at the head, one at the tail). The driveline is +/- 1/8" of the total length needed for the conversion to the 610.

Did I get some rare find on my driveline? I will post pics this evening.

Crap, never assume! :angry: :angry: Never thought that the spline would be a problem. Fuck! Just checked and the usual Nissan drive shaft spline won't fit.

Zerow, I see that the turbo 3 speed also has the larger spline so a 280zx auto drive shaft spline might work too.

Question.. if you get the front spline that fits the L4N71B, will it mate to the front of a 610 or 710 drive shaft at the U joint, or is the U joint larger too???

Well, I have yet to check, but from what I understand, the U-Joints are the same, sooooo... *maybe* it will fit?

However, you still have the problem if you use the L4N71B - Driveshaft Length. At that point you might as well get the driveshaft made for the application, plain and simple. I guess I lucked out with my find. I will get the adaptor, and see how close everything lines up.

So it looks like it would behoove me to snag the driveshaft with the transmission.. thanks for blazing the trail, Zerow :)

Yes, and you're welcome :)

You know, I found out that the 300zx had 3 different drive shaft splines a long time ago. Guess what? The Maxima was built on the Z car platform so should have checked it out. Damn I'll never find one around here. Maybe a D-21 Hardbody? Again, the U joints may not be replaceable or something.

You know, I found out that the 300zx had 3 different drive shaft splines a long time ago. Guess what? The Maxima was built on the Z car platform so should have checked it out. Damn I'll never find one around here. Maybe a D-21 Hardbody? Again, the U joints may not be replaceable or something.

I have heard from others that there are some Maxima driveshafts with non-replacable u-joints. I am told that if there is no Zerk fitting for grease that was the tell-tale sign of that, but I don't know. Mine has Zerk fittings, but I still plan for it to get checked before I have it installed. Just want to ensure logistics before repair.

Alright, so I just got back from the Pick n Pull yard, and the catch of the day is my very own L4N71B. I himmed-and-hawwed over getting it once I got to the yard, for a couple of reasons. I read through Mike's Automatic Tranny sticky and the pics showed the pan on the 4spd to be a deep pan. The one I found is a shallow pan. Also, even though the tranny is out of a Sedan, the driveshaft is a 1-piece.. I haven't gotten to measure it yet, but as soon as I do, I'll give the info. The last thing that made this a difficult decision, is that the Yard's computer system showed that this particular trans is different than the 6/83+ trans. It listed it as "through 5/83". The date on the car is 12/82, so as per everything I've read so far, I figured it wasn't a 4-speed. Even looking at it, it appeared to be a 4-speed, but I just wasn't sure.. that is, until I found the VIN tag under the hood and wiped the dirt off. Trans/Transaxle: L4N71B. It is MINE now. :)

Ok, then it's not that surprising. About the 1 piece driveshaft.. perhaps the wagons and the sedans actually had different drivelines.

Here's a pic of the driveshaft(differential end):

Photo644.jpg

It's different than Zerow's...

.. and here's the overall length.

Photo645.jpg

Yep, different all right. This is starting to become very interesting.

I recall the car that I pulled my transmission from. It was a 1983 Maxima coupe. I don't know why I decided to look under the thing - that I could never tell you. All I know is that once I found it, I thought I had struck gold. Took me a couple of hours to pull it (it was just me and my back injury), and I realized something real quick after the pull: it had an L20A (6 bolt flexplate on a 6 cylinder). Was this Maxima setup for JDM?? I don't have the car in front of me anymore to verify that stuff. I was as happy as a pig in slop to get everything I needed (the flexplate and torque converter are different than the 3N71B) Not many L20As on these shores, and to get one and grab everything associated with it was a real treat.

I took my measurement while it was standing, could be a margin of error there, but it appears there is still 3/8" of a difference, which is not what I would call a "margin", thats a completely different animal. Could it be that the 3/8" comes from the front or rear yoke for the different body style(s)?? I will have to get some numbers for the center to center on the yokes to confirm that theory.

Sweet. :cool:

What kind of custom mount are you having made, Zerow? Does it attach where the L4 attaches to the Maxima? Or are you using an L3 mount and attaching it to the tailstock?

Using the stock 3N71B mount and cross member, and moving it back to the the two mounting ears on the tail stock. The adaptor will go between the trans and the mount. It's quite simple, really. I'm glad I have some metal shop experience and heavy drafting knowledge.

I went to my local NAPA to look at similar shaped mounts. I looked at mounts for like 3 hours, couldn't find anything worth remarking on the forum about. So, since the OEM mount was still available, I didn't need yet another specialty part. I figured, why not design my own adaptor. Now, to get the blasted thing...

Aren't they the same tail stock? the L4 and L3? Shouldn't the L3 adapter work? Or is this another one my my misunderstandings...

I thought so, too. No, the tailstocks are different. The OE mount for the 3N71B has both of the bolts 12mm (or so) from center, too far apart. The mount cannot grab the bolt holes in the tail stock of the trans. Hence, my dilemna. I have no way to start my L20B since install (no bellhousing or flexplate). The adaptor is a chunk f steel with holes neatly placed, but took time as there are some counterbored holes to ensure good grip. And I want to keep everything Stock except for this adaptor, in case I decide to do something else. Not likely, but you never know...