1969 SSS Rusty Bird Coupe

Here we go again, another Datsun, but this one is something special. Victory and I pick up this 1969 Bluebird Coupe in Long Beach in January this year. Not necessarily looking for a Coupe, or any other Datsun at the time, I spotted this one on the Dime Quarterly. We were in the area on vacation, and decide to take a look.

Some of you know we sold a green Bluebird Coupe last August. I had Commando for 5 years and had gotten use to driving a Datsun on the right hand side, not to mention Victory and I had our first voyage out of town in that car. So we missed it.

We made a deal on the car, cash and trade for another 510 we had at home. Saturday morning we headed the 8 hours home, dropped off the White Knight, picked up the truck and trailer along with an orange 4 door, and headed back to Long Beach. Sunday morning picked up our new Coupe and headed home. WOW that was a lot of driving.

DSCN0715.jpg

DSCN0718.jpg

Once at the shop the coupe set for awhile, then we dropped a L20B 5speed in it.

IMG_0252.jpg

Working on other cars and business, we didn’t get much further then that. Till an April swap meet in the bay area. A guy named Roger was selling a complete SR20 S13NA package deal, $1500 included almost everything you would need to drop it in and drive away. Bought the package deal, got it to the shop and started thinking about the Coupe. However, things got put on hold again.

In June we headed to Canby, and became friends with people that make engine installs look ez. Started thinking and talking, and made a deal with Jeremy sssr20det510. So I decided to pull the L20B and clean up the engine bay and get that SR installed.

So here are some pics as things went.

The Rusty Bird, has great floors, but the rockers are history. But for the most part it has factory paint without the question of what’s already been done.

With some help from Atom we pulled the L20B / 5 speed set up.

P1010065.jpg

Next day cleaned the shit out of the engine bay. Had not planed to paint the engine bay but after cleaning it, I could not see installing the SR with out doing so

If we are going to sand blast we need to remove everything from the firewall. So we gutted the front end.

P10100712.jpg

Victory as always eager and ready, took care of the sand blasting.

P1010085.jpg

Shaved the battery tray and other areas of the engine bay.

P1010090.jpg

P1010092.jpg

P1010099.jpg

I will be doing a how to on shaving the battery tray soon

Now for the welding up a large number of holes.

P1010100.jpg

Time for grinding and filler.

P1010108.jpg

Now ready for primer DP40LF, this stuff is the best. 2 coats, let it sit 24 hours then wet sanded any imperfections with 600, dry completely and seal with DP40LF.

Was going to paint it white, but the white I have does not match the white of the car. So, with Victory’s help we decide on a very nice silver, base / clear.

More pics to come

• Like 1
  • Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this time we only have one Coupe, just one. Victory hangs with me a lot in the shop. Last night till 10-11pm.

More pics yeppi

Sealed ready

P1010109.jpg

Based and cleared

P1010117.jpg

Installing a few parts

P1010119.jpg

On the trailer to Oregon

P1010127.jpg