4 linked Wagon

I figured I'd make this my official build thread.

So I finally had time to finish up my project. This is a true adjustable 4 link setup. Everything is mocked up, just got to finish welding the brackets and supports brackets on the rear end. Rear end is a ford 8.8, shortened using 2 short side axles out of a ford ranger. The link bars are aluminum, with a urethane end and a spherical bearing end. Articulation is great with hardly any binding. I should still be able to modify the seat, have it be functional and at the same time serve as a cover for the gaping hole. I can't wait to see how it handles. ;)

DSCF5527.jpg

DSCF5535.jpg

DSCF5540.jpg

DSCF5536.jpg

DSCF5529.jpg

More pictures to come once i get more progress done!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is that a common design for the 4link bars in wagons? Seems a bit different than what I am used to seeing. 8.8 is the way to go...c-clip eliminators, explorer brakes, moser axles, TA cover, and a decent posi unit will be good for 800-900 hp.

now get me 800 hp!! hahah

that link set up is a Satchel 4 link setup, pretty much an upside down tri 4link. Its known for its handling characteristics. I am able to adjust for a lower roll center amongst other things such as anti squat.

I wouldn't run c-clip eliminators though, unless im straight dragging. I would swap over ford 9" ends.

the wagon finally gets all 4 on the ground. It hasn't done that in awhile! The picture is the wagon at its highest adjustment point. Floor to diff clearance is pretty tight, only a couple inches. If I could adjust it for 0 anti squat I should be good, except for bumps. Might have to get higher offset wheels though. Clearance is pretty tight and I don't even have the breaks on yet. That would add another 1/4 inch. And no, I will not be using those fatty tires. :D

DSCF5556.jpg

DSCF5564.jpg

DSCF5558.jpg

DSCF5572.jpg

DSCF5554.jpg

And here is my hybrid seat that I will be using.

DSCF5566.jpg

• Like 1

the wagon finally gets all 4 on the ground. It hasn't done that in awhile! The picture is the wagon at its highest adjustment point. Floor to diff clearance is pretty tight, only a couple inches. If I could adjust it for 0 anti squat I should be good, except for bumps. Might have to get higher offset wheels though. Clearance is pretty tight and I don't even have the breaks on yet. That would add another 1/4 inch. And no, I will not be using those fatty tires. :D

DSCF5556.jpg

DSCF5564.jpg

DSCF5558.jpg

DSCF5572.jpg

DSCF5554.jpg

And here is my hybrid seat that I will be using.

DSCF5566.jpg

looks good man...is the seat hybrid becuz you used 2 different recaros? lol

nice stance on the goona by the way will look much nicer once the right wheels are on it. :D

hahah, the bottom are sport seats out of an e30 bmw, and the top is a recaro (i think trophy seat) stock on the older vw rabbits. Found them in the junk yard. The recaro's bottom was all messed up, so i took the tops and vice versa for the bmw sport seats.

Looks pretty cool I did a ladder bar setup under my goon recentley with urethane stuff but I used the stock axle and a lsd. What spring rate are ya gonna use. I have 400lbs springs on mine and they feel pretty good, but I haven't drove it much at all.

That is awsome... can't wait to get my 8.8 done... this gives me motivation, all I need is $$$ now.

Are you running C-clip eliminators?

no, no c-clips. Not enough power for that. I wouldn't run the c-clips even with a lot of power though. I would get 9" ends instead so I could hit turns! :)

hey cool project, i bought a 8.8 for my truck but i am not sure how to shorten it. did you do you own?

yes i did. But if you want it a certain width then you need to cut the axles. I just went with 2 short side axles off of a ford ranger and only shortened the housing.

yes i did. But if you want it a certain width then you need to cut the axles. I just went with 2 short side axles off of a ford ranger and only shortened the housing.

What housing did you use and what is the total length (face of hub to hub) after what you did?

What housing did you use and what is the total length (face of hub to hub) after what you did?

The housing was out of a mustang. Doesn't really matter as long as its 28 spline axles, because it will be shortened anyways. Mustang are one of the rears that have an LSD. However, the mustang housings do have more stuff to cut off(all the mounts) as compared to a housing that was on leaf springs. Hub to hub is approx 53 1/4