Building a NAPS-Z24

Spades

Well, the "rebuilt" motor I got from bill's datsun in clackamas is pretty much done for. over the course of the last few months I found that nothing had been touched on the motor except a mis-installed timing chain set. I pampered it along up until a month ago, when the oil getting past the rings and valve guides left a blue smoke screen behind the car puttering along under 2k rpm.

So, now that the Z20S is pretty much done for, I am going to be buying a engine my boss has had sitting around for a while. He was going to put it in his roadster, but decided on a japanese crate motor (ca18det) instead.

I have some questions about what to do with the motor before I install it. The first thing I want to do, since it was a machine shop, not myself, that rebuilt it, I want to pull the front cover and head BEFORE I put it in my car(painful lesson from this last experience), and I am wanting to maybe do a few more things to it before I install it.

he has receipts for the work and parts, this is how it sits right now:

naps Z24 8 plug motor from a (84?) nissan pickup

bored over, nissan rings installed

new rods, pistons (not sure if crank is new will have to dig through the receipts)

timing chain set,water pump, gaskets, ect all from IMC(they sell high quality japanese parts)

all new studs, bolts, ect from nissan

mildly shaved head

mildly ported and polished head

new valves, seals, valve springs, ect

the camshaft is from oregon cam grinding, I will have to see if I can find the specs for it, it is slightly more aggressive than stock, but not radical enough to cause problems

it also comes with a new electronic distributor, ngk platinum plugs and plug wires, and tons of little extras.

so, at this point, I am thinking I want to pull the timing cover and head off and have a look, and maybe see about getting like some ARP head bolts or studs. Is there a better head gasket out there than the stock nissan or a good quality japanese one? what are the best head bolts? is there any thing else i can do to hop this motor up while it is out of the car? anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about your "rebuilt" motor, did you get paperwork that said rebuilt on it? That is why I have mine rebuilt, I got to see mine in pieces so I know what went into it, not to mention I only deal with Kevin Sweeny, when it comes to auto mechanics. Finding a mechanic you can trust are far a few between anymore, and even rarer is one that doesnt try to pay his rent on one customers bill ever time.

I thought Mike said 1.8 liter. Sweet.

Good luck with this, hope things work out better than last time.

He will be putting a 1.8 in his roadster now(CA18DET), the engine he had prior that he never installed was a Z24.

Sorry to hear about your "rebuilt" motor, did you get paperwork that said rebuilt on it? That is why I have mine rebuilt, I got to see mine in pieces so I know what went into it, not to mention I only deal with Kevin Sweeny, when it comes to auto mechanics. Finding a mechanic you can trust are far a few between anymore, and even rarer is one that doesnt try to pay his rent on one customers bill ever time.

Yeah, our shop had done some business with Bill's Datsun, and several people told me I could trust Jock, so I never bothered to ask for all the receipts or even tear into the motor before installation.

Anyway, at this point, I am going to finish putting the Z24 together, and need to figure out what head gasket and head bolts to run with, and what else I want to do with it before I install it.

pull the plugs an look inside before you pull the head.

save a HG... if it was done like you are expecting, much less hassle.

stock HG w/the carbon coating are great.

pull the pan as well and look at the bores.

that should be sufficient to determine whether its worth anything.

for this mild build stock will suffice.

i like the ARP studs (dunno if they sell head bolts), but its an additional cost that may not be necessary.

& if its really crap, add the empty Z24 block to the R seat trade ;)

He has several spare parts, including a new head gasket...I was debating on pulling it so that I could check the bores, get a good head gasket and bolts/studs, and make sure the head was properly torqued down.

the oil pan and valve cover are not on it yet, everything looks good.

I will end up using my ported intake manifold and weber 32/36 from my z20s, and I will need to buy another flamethrower coil and find a wiring diagram so I know how to wire the 8 plug dizzy.

any other thoughts or help on what i should do while the motor is out would be great!

sorry to bump this thread, but does anyone have any suggestions on anything else I should do to this engine before I put it in the car? Has anyone ever even bothered to hop up a Z24? I am hoping at the end of this month to be able to yank the old motor out and finish building the new z24...does anyone have any thoughts, tips, or ideas would be helpful?