Brake Pedal Bump Stop

Hi Everyone, I have a 1976 Datsun B210.

Has anyone had a problem with their brake lights staying on. I've discovered my brake pedal bump stop has crumbled into 4 pieces and no longer closes my brake light switch.

I was able to find the following question on WikiAnswers. On 1980 Datsun 280zx rear brakes lights remain on due to the yellow plastic spacer between the brake pedal and brake light switch deteriorated what is this spacer called and can it be replaced?

Answer

It's called a bump stop. See My link http://datsunparts.com/1343 for an older datsun model - not sure if this will will work in a 280zx. Or you can make your own.

My Question to the collective RATSUN intelligencia: Does anyone know how to make a successful bump stop? My first attempt failed because I used soft rubber and not hard plastic. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this same problem, but I forget what I ended up using. I remember it being a pretty trivial fix though, as you just need something to push on the switch when the brake pedal is in the neutral position. I will take a look tomorrow.

not familiar w/the switch, but id guess that any hard plastic that you could drill through should be sufficient to replace it.

or a JY search...

what about something that uses a rubber bump, like a MC R brake lever adjuster?

I JB welded a Penny on there

awesome!!!

tails, right?

Funny you should say JB weld a penny. I duct taped a penny to the brake pedal. I found the fix online doing additional searches after I posted to Ratsun. The fix I found used a quarter duct taped to the brake pedal. It was difficult getting the duct tape wrapped around the brake pedal.

My B210 has been very cheap to keep fixed and running for the past 20+ years. Even here it cost me a penny to fix, AHAHAHAHA, plus another penny for the duct tape. I think it was tails side up.

I'm not sure how long the duct tape will last. The problem is when the duct tape fails, the brake lights will stay on after I turn my B210 off and I could end up with a dead battery. I would have to push the car and pop the clutch.

I used an even cheaper fix than a penny! I reused and flipped the clip that the bumpstop screws into and then readjusted the position of the switch.

brake-2.jpg

You could probably still get one from your local Nissan dealer. Can't imagine they are too costly. I'll try and throw up the part # Monday.

• 1 month later...

I know it may be a bit late for this, but I had this happen recently as well on my 200SX. I actually found the stop under the carpet as I was tearing it out and thought I'd post a pic as some people seemed confused as to what it was.

40638_145537198800593_100000329402154_295281_5683714_n.jpg

now to find some duct tape and a penny ;p

• 2 weeks later...

i'm glad i stumbled across this post. this just happened to me a couple weeks ago and i just took the fuse out. i'll do the penny and duct tape, or ask someone for some jb weld. my bump stop also broke into 4 pieces and i found it under my floor mat. lol at least my b210 has been cheap to fix so far