My first car, a 510...And ZX N/A->T

Edit 2/5/12, go to last post... ollz.

Technically, my Toyota Cressida is my first car. Though this is the first car I have bought myself.
My first post, I thought i'de share my 72' wagon, a pretty long project on a low budget.

The guy I got this from loved 510's, he also had a 71' coupe. He had a kid, and they both where sitting non-running for about 5 years.

So I bought his wagon, it does not have an engine in it, he sold it to me with LOTS of parts, a rebuilt L20b and 280zx 5-speed, ect.

Here it is with 684,00? miles on the chassis.
imag0027.jpg

Its in pretty damn good condition for the storage time, all rust is exterior. Nothing is rusted through. I removed the seats to clean it out when I got it.
img01001z.jpg
imag0020m.jpg
imag0024fa.jpg
280zx coilovers!
imag0023up.jpg
imag0012t.jpg

So more will come later. I'm currently waiting for the rest of the transmission rebuild kit. Just stocking up on all the parts I need before I can assemble it.
Unfortunately I cannot garage it because my dads S2000 is kept in there, But I keep it covered.

Anyways, this will be a work in progress for the next year or so, but I'm hoping to drop the engine in the car within a month.
I'm rebuilding all the brakes, I will upgrade them to ZX front brakes later. I still need a clutch/flywheel for it also. From there I can drop the engine in and see what i'm missing, hehe.

This is my first time messing with cars, so any tips or advice would be helpful.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WELCOME!!! Ratsun is the coolest place ever and you will learn that fast. that thing looks real nice a very sweet project.... For your first time project my advice is to take everything real slow get one part done at a time and do everything right... I cant wait to see the progress.... I LOVE the color. :D

Yeah man! Welcome to the forum. The Wagon in my picture is the first car I bought with my own money back in 1995. (i had a 78 celica before it) Your wagon looks clean. Read through all the posts so you can to learn more and more! Ask questions if you need to. Most people are willing to share info. Others, like to make wise-ass remarks, so beware. (If you don't want your factory radio send it my way.)

Welcome aboard....Very nice goon

X2 on what every one else says, read up, take your time, plan it out, and don't take any of the smart ass comments personally...most of all have fun with it

^Thanks guys, I'm definitely taking it slow. Just like my first driving lesson. biggrin.gif

It will take a long time, but it will be great when its done. And eventually painted(original color!!!).

Yeah man! Welcome to the forum. The Wagon in my picture is the first car I bought with my own money back in 1995. (i had a 78 celica before it) Your wagon looks clean. Read through all the posts so you can to learn more and more! Ask questions if you need to. Most people are willing to share info. Others, like to make wise-ass remarks, so beware. (If you don't want your factory radio send it my way.)

I'm sorry to say I love it too much to sell any part of it. wink.gif

wow man, you got some cool ass shit for your first car. welcome to ratsun. what all did he give you?are you planing on puting all of it on your wagon?

Yep, he had collected alot of parts for it. Most of it is going in it.

The wheels are 13x5.5" enkei's. I've never seen them on a 510 before of all my browsing(the one in my avatar). :)

Parts... I'll try to remember most of it.

L20b rebuilt except for the distributor, 280zx(rebuilding), Weber carb(new), Kosan fuel pump(new), shortened driveshaft, radiator(new), starter motor, alternator, two ignition coils, spark plugs(new), fuel filters(new).

Stock brakes/suspention all around(rusty, but the ebrake works hehe), 14x6" wheels on the car, extra set of rotors, one extra caliper, 280zx coilovers with tokico illumina BZ3099(MR2 ones), NOS tokico rear shocks(new, but stored for a long time), new bushings and little rubber parts for suspention(forget the word for these), extra hinges.

Acura integra seats(bolt-in!!), orgiginal rear seats/dash/gauge cluster/side panels, no carpet, F1 style mirrors, and probably more stuff i'm forgetting.

And also, an orange 5 ball for a shift knob which i'm going to drill out and epoxy onto the zx shift rod I bought.cool.gif

imag0031f.jpg

imag0022v.jpg

Thats my brothers 350z in the background.

edit, oh here is a pic of some of the parts.

imag0025hv.jpg

Great project and welcome to Ratsun! It's awesome to see a younger guy start with something not running and plan on getting it back on the road. Instead of the usual kid gets driver and makes it a project... Big thumbs up!!! Can't wait to see the updates.

Wow great start. I really dig the steering wheel you have. That's some vintage stuff right there. And the wheels that are on it are pretty cool as well.

WELCOME TO THE GOON SQUAD :D

olddatsuns.com ck out the tech section!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice wagon.

I DONT how a L motor can not run when they are so simple. The guy most have been a moron. If everything was there it will run.

But hopefully you can get it running.Soon

If the harness is still n the car and you have 12volt with Key on and 12volt to the Hotstart wire and to the starter this car will run!!!!!!!!!!!

he had no time to redo it.

Thats code for Lazy.

hope you get it going.

Ps I ran into a bunch of kids last nite with a wagon.

Open the hood I see a Ratsun Rising Sun Valve cover.

Then I see the turn sig wires not hooked up.I thought maybe I should fix it. Then said NO! I have been abused before helping people that dont appreciate it, This is a 15min job with new wire if that as they might have been stretched. i said to myself LAZY amd when he gets a ticket there goes the money for the Coilover he was more worried about getting.

But It was exciting to a see a wagoon in my part of the hood.

Good luck and get it running first. I mean this First as I seen alot of people spent there money on fancy shit then say they want to do a reharness(painless kit) then No monay and car never starts.

Get it rooling then you can do the suuspension stuff later. Coil overs are nice as they give more options but not required to still look cool and drive

he had no time to redo it.

Thats code for Lazy.

hope you get it going.

Ps I ran into a bunch of kids last nite with a wagon.

Open the hood I see a Ratsun Rising Sun Valve cover.

Then I see the turn sig wires not hooked up.I thought maybe I should fix it. Then said NO! I have been abused before helping people that dont appreciate it, This is a 15min job with new wire if that as they might have been stretched. i said to myself LAZY amd when he gets a ticket there goes the money for the Coilover he was more worried about getting.

But It was exciting to a see a wagoon in my part of the hood.

Good luck and get it running first. I mean this First as I seen alot of people spent there money on fancy shit then say they want to do a reharness(painless kit) then No monay and car never starts.

Get it rooling then you can do the suuspension stuff later. Coil overs are nice as they give more options but not required to still look cool and drive

He had three jobs and a kid... I think I can unerstand why he gave up his hobby.

I'm definitely trying to take it slowly, and concentrate on getting it running before the mods go in. Hopefully going to the junkyard tomorrow to find a flywheel.

Hmm, Thinkiing of trying to skimp out on the brakes to get it running for cheap, How bad is it to run stock brakes without rebuilding them? laugh.gif

Also, for a floorjack/jackstands I place them on the rail under the car that runs from front to back, right? Usually on most cars they say to put it on that little 'lip' under the doors.

Yes, thats how new I am to this.

I have been into 510s 22 years and never rebuilt a set of brakes. I just replace the rotors and put new pads on. But it doesnt mean your are good. I would just replace the pads and see what happens first. if it sticks than maybe look into it. I would C clamp them first to break them if stuck.

as for the jack I use the front X member near the A arm on each side. I guess you can use the inner under frame rail part.

rear I put the jack under the pumpkin then put jack stands under the axle(waggon/truck)

I have been into 510s 22 years and never rebuilt a set of brakes. I just replace the rotors and put new pads on. But it doesnt mean your are good. I would just replace the pads and see what happens first. if it sticks than maybe look into it. I would C clamp them first to break them if stuck.

as for the jack I use the front X member near the A arm on each side. I guess you can use the inner under frame rail part.

rear I put the jack under the pumpkin then put jack stands under the axle(waggon/truck)

Cool, thanks. I'll see how it turns out.

It will save me a few dollars to go without some of the brake parts i was going to get.

EDIT, also thinking a little ahead, I have no idea what color to paint the little components such as strut tubes, calipers, ect. Orange maybe?

edit2, Also getting the clutch/flywheel once I get payed Wednesday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/280Z-280ZX-New-4cy-Standard-Flywheel-1975-1983-/200201537696?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2e9cf108a0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.m748&item=110455416363&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D7659329874841602417#vi-content

OE flywheel + exedy clutch for a 280zx. These will work? Have been searching a while but, is there any better solution thats the same price or cheaper?

welcome!

wagons kick ass!!!

is there no FW now? :angry:

:hmm: looks to be correct...

... skimp out on the brakes ...

never a good idea to skimp! <_<

the stock brakes are adequate! just be sure everything is in working order.

Haha, maybe I used the wrong word. The brakes will be disassembled and cleaned before the engine goes in. Also will probably install the new rear shocks at that point.

Also I still only have the bearings for the transmission so I cannot rebuild it yet.