760 replies to this topic

#1 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 16,873 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

This is my KA24DE swap and 77 620 Kingcab refresh.

I've had this truck in storage for a while...now it's time to clear out the unit.

Truck as purchased for $100 a few years ago, it's been stored inside since then. Some of you guys might remember this one from the 'Dude leave a note' thread on NWDE.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

5-Speed and diff from a 1983 720 KC with the Z24

Posted Image

Got the truck and motor to the house on May 4th 2010.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Better shot of theKA24DE going in.

Posted Image

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

Picture004-5sml.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#2 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:06 AM

Not sure why people used the tar based undercoating...it sucks. Whoever did it to this truck sucks...but, it's coming clean.

Before:

Posted Image

End of the first day of cleaning:

Posted Image

Fun shit...chemicals :D

Now I have a set deadline, on May 13th I registered the truck for Canby on June 13th. :D

Posted Image

My buddy Brad came over that night and lent a hand, thanks buddy. While I was scraping and playing with more chemicals he did some disassembly and inspection for me.

He pulled the trans off the motor and the clutch. The clutch looked brand new on the outside, but was nicely burnt in a couple places.

I got the flywheel resurfaced, a new clutch and gaskets and seals for the motor.

Here's some pic's :thumbs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got the trans and the most of the parts clean.

There was actually I nice looking transmission under 27 years of grime.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Picked up the stuff to delete the power steering.

Posted Image

Picture004-5sml.jpg

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#3 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:07 AM

Made a little progress the weekend of the 24th...then I rolled it out of the garage and got ready for my annual Memorial Weekend Camping Trip.

Here's the few pics I took of what went down.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Had to pick up some more exhaust washers and nuts. Thanks for the nuts Frank. :lol:

Posted Image

Drilled the starter, both the starter and the trans are threaded....The next starter for it will have to be from a 720.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Removed the front crossmember and the center link for clearance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got the motor set.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm gonna flip the centerlink for more oil pan clearance. Looks like it will just need some slight massaging after the link is flipped.

Picture004-5sml.jpg

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

#4 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

Finished up the motor mounts last night. I sectioned them and then dropped them 5/8". Then reinforced them with some 1/8 sheet.

Pics :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dropped my steering components off on June 4th, cost about $120. Spent $240 in nickle and dime stuff on the 5th. Had to get a truck slave cylinder as the 240 one puts a kink in the hose and smashes it against the torsion bar.

Brad came over ont the 6th and we got the brakes adjusted and bleed, nice solid pedal. New 720 accelerator cable is installed. Got the fuel lines ran at the motor, still have to splice in the new pump by the tank. Drained and flushed the tank and put some fresh fuel in it.

Picture004-5sml.jpg

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

#5 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

Got the steering column and the idler arm swapped for the reamed parts (couldn't get the pitman off and I had a spare column). I only had to clearance the oil pan a little. Center link flip is a success. I also picked up a truck slave cylinder and hose, the new slave blew a seal as soon as I bled it.

Anyways here's some pics from the last couple days. :D

Fuel connected to the motor

Posted Image

Drivers motor mount

Posted Image

Passenger motor mount

Posted Image

Titans...cause Nuff is a slacker getting me my 15"s

Posted Image

Looks almost stock.

Posted Image

Slave cylinder issues...gotta use the truck one...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Reversed center link taper

Posted Image

Steering column out.

Posted Image

New idler arm with reversed taper

Posted Image

1/4" clearance all the way around at full lock. :thumbs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Picture004-5sml.jpg

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

#6 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:17 AM

Icehouse came over last night and wired the motor, fuel pump and fan in for me. Dropped it off at the exhaust shop at 11pm (way past my bedtime) to get a new downpipe made. Runs like a bat outta hell. Loud as fuck :lol:

Thanks again Jeff, you fucking ROCK!!

Edit: My stupid camera quit working last night, I'll get a couple pic's when I get it back from the exhaust place.

Picture004-5sml.jpg

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

#7 Nas

Nas

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Cars:74 datsun 620, 84 pinarello track, 98 land shark road bike

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

Incredible progress!
Are you going to be able to make it to the show?

#8 Pacific coast Datsun

Pacific coast Datsun

Japanese trucking association

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,832 posts
  • Cars:76 Conqueror "Datsun powered" jet boat -73 PL 620 - 74 PL 620 - 94 D-21

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

Steve that freakin rocks!! The boys coming together to get it done :thumbup: We need a video of the exhaust too...loud = good :D

85 720--74 pl 620--94 D 21-- 64 L 320 [co-owner]--74 sundance 16 jet boat [L 20 powered]
Member- *Japanese trucking association*
*Southwest Datsun pickups*
http://www.southwestdatsunpickups.com/
HBbedgif.gif

#9 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

Yep, driving it to the show in the AM :D

Exhaust got fixed while I was at work today. I'll get some vid of it running though...as soon as I can get my stupid camera to open.

Picture004-5sml.jpg

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

#10 Creepy Cruiser

Creepy Cruiser

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  • Cars:Lots

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

Killer!

I lot of great info, and great pics.

#11 goes2fast

goes2fast

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • Cars:71 1200 Sport Coupe, 79 King Cab, 15 VW Golf TDI, 57 Chevy Belair, 64 Ford Fairlane

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

Steve, That is one sweet job, now I have a pattern to go by when I get ready to do mine. When you get a chance I'd like to see more photos of the steering mods, that last one was a little blurry. Keep up the great work, I've missed your updates on the other truck, I've learned a lot from you. Posted Image
Too much horsepower is almost enough!
Posted Image

#12 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

Thanks it's been a fun project.

Made it from Marysville WA to Canby OR. 9 gallons to get there 10 to get home. My foot was in it on the trip back :lol:

Motor pic. Don't mind the custom ECU mount :devil:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Good solid little truck. Hauls ass.

Posted Image

Picture004-5sml.jpg

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

#13 CharlieBucket

CharlieBucket

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Cars:77 b210, 74 620, 98 frontier, 94 altima

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:20 AM

So you have been doing a nut and bolt restore on the black 620 for ever! and then you throw this together in like a week! Great work!

#14 Dat620guy

Dat620guy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Cars:1971 510 Goon.....

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:06 PM

Glad to meet you at Canby. You did a great job on the truck. It now inspires me to get a KA and swap it in. :thumbup:
Street Fighter Bitch!!!!!!!!

#15 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

Ya the black truck I want to be perfect. Taking my time and doing it exactly how I want it. Plan to keep that truck forever.

This one I just want to run reliable and be safe for the next caretaker. I'm trying to clear out my storage unit and a few good parts are gonna go on this thing. Still a bit of work to be done on it. Disc brakes, better gearing, clean up the wiring and maybe buff the paint.

Good to meet you too Dat620guy, wish I had more time to hang out at the show.

Picture004-5sml.jpg

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

#16 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

When you get a chance I'd like to see more photos of the steering mods.[/img]

As far as the steering...it looks just like stock only the center link goes in from the bottom instead of the top.

It's a trick the Jeep guys use to do the opposite. They flip the tie rod top the top for better clearance offroad.

Here is a link to the 'kit'

http://www.ok4wd.com...e_rod_flip_kit/

If you look at the installation instructions it gives you a good idea as to what I had done. I had mine welded up and reverse reamed by Randy's Offroad a local 4x4 shop in Marysville. Cost $120 to get it done there. I will probably just buy the ream next time :D

Picture004-5sml.jpg

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

#17 Pacific coast Datsun

Pacific coast Datsun

Japanese trucking association

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,832 posts
  • Cars:76 Conqueror "Datsun powered" jet boat -73 PL 620 - 74 PL 620 - 94 D-21

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

Steve you need to use the Hainz technique to shine up the paint. Use hand cleaner & clean rags :rolleyes: I tried it on my 521 & it worked a bit.... :rolleyes:

85 720--74 pl 620--94 D 21-- 64 L 320 [co-owner]--74 sundance 16 jet boat [L 20 powered]
Member- *Japanese trucking association*
*Southwest Datsun pickups*
http://www.southwestdatsunpickups.com/
HBbedgif.gif

#18 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:31 AM

:lol: I'm gonna use that TR3 polish everyone raves about. See how that works out with my buffer.

Picture004-5sml.jpg

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

#19 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

you throw this together in like a week!

Haha I just realized the pics make it seem so quick...It took about a month and a week total to get to the show. :lol:

I broke a rib a couple weeks ago and haven't got much of anything done. I did get a gas door though, not sure what happened to the origonal. :confused:

I also got my vinyl cutter working. :thumbup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Promptly broke off the upper bolt, now I have to go by an angled drill...any excuse to buy a new tool is a good one. ^_^

I'll be buffing out the pink when I'm healed.

Picture004-5sml.jpg

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

#20 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,388 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:20 AM

is that paint or a vinyl stiker on that rising sun?
Throw on some Weber sidedrafts, Rising Sun hood.... call it good