84 turbo Maxima: finishing up for the summer

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to him also, how bad is the rust. the way he talked the car would need a body swap.

On a side note, I wish my girlfriend would ditch her J30 for something this badass.

Rust is not TOO bad. I'm just going to have to weld up a few little places... doing that tomorrow.

Looks a lot better than the brown '84 Maxima I had. Mine had a tired L24 with auto... sluggish

This car is anything but sluggish. haha its good enough to give me some chills on boost. Its definitely a rocket ship.

The look from 240sx guys is hilarious when they hear the turbo spool.

The base of the shifter looks very different from a T5 to the Nissan L-series transmission. If you take up the shifter boot and post some pictures of what the shifter looks like at the base then we can tell you what the prior owner swapped in there.

Oh, I just noticed you have a Z31 turbo ECU swap on that thing! Very nice :D

The base of the shifter looks very different from a T5 to the Nissan L-series transmission. If you take up the shifter boot and post some pictures of what the shifter looks like at the base then we can tell you what the prior owner swapped in there.

Oh, I just noticed you have a Z31 turbo ECU swap on that thing! Very nice :D

Well its a stock Maxima 5 speed, very rare option, not swapped. I have no idea which transmission the stock Maxima 5 speed is.

*EDIT*

Should be a FS5W71B, identical to the "78-79" 280zx transmission. I'm wondering if an 80-83 280zx N/A FS5W71B can be swapped in for the better .745 overdrive gear.

So today I:

Pulled the gas tank (Looks to have been redone within the last several years)

Pulled the R180 with CV axles

Cleaned up the R180 with a flap disc and painted it hunter green with rustoleum professional

Welded the 4" cracks with good weld penetration

Welded some 3/16" plate to the front side of the trunk floor crossmember/diff mount crossmember to strengthen for the 200hp L28ET's massive amounts of torque.(welds had good penetration and will hold; but am not 100% satisfied with my overhead laying on the floor MIG welding skills...)