Qs about dog legs

datzenmike

Were all dog legs 5 speeds, was there a 4 speed, and were all the L series ones only on the '77-'79 200sx?

The '80-'81 HL510 dog legs were for use with the Z 20 carb motors? Were they long or short tail?

Does anyone have a picture of one? Does it look like a reg. FS5W71B?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont the early (L motor) HL's have doglegs too?

I think the PL510s were the 'early' ones '68-'73? the HL510 were late '70-'81?

Either way the early L16/18 510s didn't I think. The first gen. L20B 200sx did. The later HLs with Z motors had an extremely rare dog leg option ... help me out here Doug. I'm pretty sure these were the two dog legs but need to know if there was a 4 speed dog leg, especially for the Z motor.

The Dogleg (FS5W63A) was only used on the following stock:

'77-79 200SX (L20B) - was the standard transmission

'78-79 510 (L20B) - Option on sedans, standard on Hatchbacks, not available on Wagons

'80-81 510 (Z20S) Option on Sedans and Hatchbacks (wagon used a different 5-speed optional in '81)

I have heard, but never verified, that it was optional on 1977 710s. It would make sense since '77 was when Nissan reintroduced factory optional 5-speeds on almost all models again after a long hiatus.

There was also a dogleg-pattern 5-speed in the B210 in '77-78 (FS5W60), but it's much, much smaller.

All 4-speeds have a standard pattern. There were only 2 versions of the shorttail, floor shift L-series transmission- the F4W63 and the F4W63L. The transition was 1973- 1973 and before had the older, '74 and later had the newer. The Dogleg 5-speed is mount-compatible with the 63L transmission, not the 63, and shares the location of the speedo cable (it's on the other side on the 63). However both 4-speed versions use the older style shifter (the 5-speed shares the shifter with the 71B type transmission).

All 63 series (63, 63A, 63L) are the same length.

Well I guess 'aholic answered stuff... Should I still measure and take a picture of it? I remember people like the dogleg because it's the same length as the pl510 4 speed, and didn't really require any mods to bolt in...

I did a bunch of research when I bought my dogleg, and it didn't come in an 810 (behind an L24e)stock from what I gathered... When I found it in the junkyard it still had the shift knob, and I was like "WOAH, that can't be right," but it was... I told the junkyard to pull it for me (because it was the rainy muddy season, and I didn't want to deal with it... When I went to check on it before they had pulled it, someone had stolen the shift knob :( Wish I had one.

I'd think about trading the dogleg for a Z22 crank... Maybe... Or money... I dont know.

Well I guess 'aholic answered stuff... Should I still measure and take a picture of it? I remember people like the dogleg because it's the same length as the pl510 4 speed, and didn't really require any mods to bolt in...

I did a bunch of research when I bought my dogleg, and it didn't come in an 810 (behind an L24e)stock from what I gathered... When I found it in the junkyard it still had the shift knob, and I was like "WOAH, that can't be right," but it was... I told the junkyard to pull it for me (because it was the rainy muddy season, and I didn't want to deal with it... When I went to check on it before they had pulled it, someone had stolen the shift knob :( Wish I had one.

I'd think about trading the dogleg for a Z22 crank... Maybe... Or money... I dont know.

When you said it was in an 810 I wondered about the length. I have an '84 Maxima tranny and they are long tail. If this fit the 810 then I would assume they used short tail trannys, that's all. Some when get a picture if you can. Thanks,

mike

RacnJsn95 - Just to be sure I understand, the tranny you posted the pic of is a 5-speed with dogleg shift pattern, for sure, for sure? You've actually put it in gear and turned the input shaft and reverse is to the left and forward on the shift pattern? I'm not trying to be a wise guy and say you're wrong, but I've just never heard of a long-tail dogleg before. I need to wade through the snow this afternoon and measure my two doglegs, but I'm almost sure they are both short-tails (26+ inches or so, if I remember). One is in my '79 200SX and the other is out of a '78 510.

As to dogleg shift knobs, the knob on the '78 I found had the pattern worn off. My SX still has a visible pattern. I've thought of trying to take a digital pic of the knob, print it on clear plastic, and glue it to one of my blank knobs, but I doubt if it would wear very well. If any transmission needs the shift pattern shown somewhere, it is the dogleg - at least if anyone borrows your car.

I just came in from the storage, and ran the trans through all the gears while turning the input shaft... It's deffinitely a dogleg, 100% sure of it. Yeah... If the dogleg ever goes into a car of mine, I'll make sure whoever drives it knows where reverse is!

Never seen a long tail huh? Hmm... Maybe it's special?

Mike, I had a long tail 5 speed dog leg transmission that came out of a wrecked pickup truck. I was told that they where very rare and where originally for the SD20's? Anyhow the L series diesel option. My friend has it now in his 68 4 door.

Mike, I had a long tail 5 speed dog leg transmission that came out of a wrecked pickup truck. I was told that they where very rare and where originally for the SD20's? Anyhow the L series diesel option. My friend has it now in his 68 4 door.

Yes, 31" is the same (more or less) as the stock 620/280Z car tranny and would be a long tail.

Jason the only diesel option for the truck that I know of (in north AM) is for the 720 truck, SD 22 and SD 25. There was an LD28 for the Maxima (a six.)

Thanks for educating me on long-tail doglegs. I'd never heard of such an animal before. I wonder if it could have been the standard 5-speed on at least some of the 810s? There isn't much info on 810s on the web; nothing I could find on the shift pattern. Most people say the drive train was the same as a 280ZX, but I found this page:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=277801&postid=2981350 The guy with the pics of the 810 2dr says the drive rain isn't the same as the ZX, but he doesn't say anything about the tranny. The 810 was also the same vintage as the 200SX and later 510s which used short doglegs.

One of the U-Pulls in Spokane had a 720 PU with the remains of a diesel engine. Both the head and trans were gone, so no way of knowing what the trans was. It did have the mechanical injector pump on the side of the engine, is how I noticed it was a diesel.

I suppose I could mark the input and output shafts and run it through the gears to get a rough estamate of what the gear ratios are... I bought it because it was behind an L6, so I wanted to put it in my z car... I later found out that they only used doglegs in 200sx's and hl510s, so I figured it wouldn't work... Stuck it in the storage for the day I actually found a 510... But now that won't even work!

An SD diesel bell pattern is very, very different from an L-series bell pattern. For one thing the starter is on the other side.

The one pictured looks kind of like a normal, short-tail L-series Dogleg except that 2-hole bracket on the very end looks out of place. However, it could be a LD20 transmission, which wasn't a US spec option at all. Or out of an 810, which would have had a longtail. Ted (tdaaj) swore the 810 that was in the PAP a couple years ago had a longtail, I was skeptical. Maybe that was normal, but I sure as heck haven't seen a longtail 63A transmission. I've seen SHORT 71B transmissions- they're strange 720 4X4/married T-case transmissions.