FS5W71B Teardown Project

I've had this tranny for 8 months and am getting around to taking it apart. I don't remember draining it and it was in a crushed vehicle, upside down and had a bitch of a time wrestling it out. Some may have spilled and I stuck a spline in the end to plug it. Pulled the magnetic bung and ...... oops

FS5W71Bteardown001Large.jpg

Not good. I've seen this before on a Z22 tranny and it was probably the reason the truck was scrapped. The FS5W71B is a great tranny but 100s of thousands of Kms and little or no maintenance and this is what you get. About 2 quart of GL-4 changed every 30 to 50K miles and stay out of 5th for passing, climbing hills or towing and it'll outlast the truck/car.

I removed the reverse light switch (not totally necessary) and the 5 cover retaining bolts behind the clutch arm. Here's how to loosen the cover plate without hammering on the nose and breaking it off. Use an extension and smack it and it should separate. I had to tap it the opposite direction as well but was easy to get off.

FS5W71Bteardown002Large.jpg

Well here's the weak link., the front counter shaft bearing.

FS5W71Bteardown003Large.jpg

Two ball are missing. They aren't in the back and they didn't fall out so the po may have changed the oil to try and fix the growling noise and not seen them.

FS5W71BteardownLarge.jpg

Interesting that the diesel tranny has the up graded 62mm counter bearing yet not the improved shift forks and larger 1st/2nd shift rod. Otherwise just a normal FS5W71B with larger counter bearing. The later cover plates are modified for better oil flow.

I hope to slowly tear this 5 speed down to learn more about it.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This one was from either an SD22 or SD25 so mid 1980 on in the 720 truck.

This tranny, the FS5W71B was used for almost 10 years by Nissan and used on no less then four different engine types, five if you include the LD28 diesel in the Maxima. By using a specific front case they will bolt up to these motors: the L, Z, SD, CA. (the next generation FS5W71C was used on the KA E and DE as well as the VG30) It was most common in a long 31.5" length but short 26" ones were made also that would fit the 510 without shortening the drive shaft. By mixing and matching clutch arms and release bearing collars the FS5W71B from an '80s diesel will fit up to and bolt on the U20 motor in the old Roadsters. A very versatile 5 speed transmission.

Introduced in '77 the 'B' type was used in the 620 and 280z and is basically an F4W71B 4 speed with an over drive 5th gear added. By '80 it had already been up-graded with an improved short throw shifter and 'slightly' better shifter bushings. Over drive in the new 280zx was raised for the larger more powerful motors and to provide an increase in economy at cruise speed. By now it was in the Maxima L24E and the diesel option as well as the S110 (200sx) and 720 with the Z series motors and there were about 6-7 different gear sets depending on vehicle. '83 saw the larger torque heavy Z24 in the 720 and the future CA18ET looming in '84 S12 and the 'B' was up-graded again with better oiling to the larger counter bearing. Gear diameter couldn't be increased so they were widened, and much stronger shift forks and a larger 1st/2nd shift rod added. This allowed the 'B' to limp on but the VG30 was too powerful for it , the KA24 was on the drawing board in the mid '80s and the stronger FS5W71C, (debuted on the 300zx non turbo) was available. Just 6 months short of ten years the 'B' was retired and the FS5W71C was fitted with CA and Z series bell housings.

• 2 years later...