• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Hawaiian620 said:

Seems like adequate brakes for the stock A15 haha 

When it comes to brakes, I prefer "overkill" to "adequate".  😁

The real issue is fade. Those brakes will stop the car great, until you try to do it 2 or 3 time in a row. Then you might want something beefier. 👍

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Haha 1

They still sell drilled rotors???

Looks like the 210 used the same calipers and rotors as the first gen 200sx. The 200sx weighed about 2,300 pounds to the lighter 1,900 pound 210 so the 210 should outbreak the earlier car.

Takes quite a bit to get them hot enough to fade but very scary when your brake pedal goes to the floor and nothing happens.  The rotor is a thermal heat sink that will absorb any panic stop, then disperse the heat over time. Unlikely you will encounter multiple panic stops in a row in normal driving. I guess the 210 didn't come with vented rotors. 

You might get better results with a more aggressive pad compound but they tend to wear the rotors faster. Ultimately your braking performance comes down to the tire size contacting the pavement. 300zx brakes won't stop you faster on skinny tires.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Takes quite a bit to get them hot enough to fade but very scary when your brake pedal goes to the floor and nothing happens.  The rotor is a thermal heat sink that will absorb any panic stop, then disperse the heat over time. Unlikely you will encounter multiple panic stops in a row in normal driving. I guess the 210 didn't come with vented rotors. 

You might get better results with a more aggressive pad compound but they tend to wear the rotors faster. Ultimately your braking performance comes down to the tire size contacting the pavement. 300zx brakes won't stop you faster on skinny tires.

I replaced the brake pads with Dynamic Friction ceramic pads. Those were the "best" pads on rockauto for whatever thats worth haha Tires are 185/60R14. New wheel cylinders in the rear. The drums look good, but I'll probably replace the shoes this winter. The new master cylinder comes in today, so I'll be replacing that and the front soft lines that connect to the caliper hard lines. Everything combined should hopefully work pretty good. 

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Unlikely you will encounter multiple panic stops in a row in normal driving.

Who said "normal driving"?  😁

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I guess the 210 didn't come with vented rotors. 

Until the mid 80s, everything came with solid rotors except some of the 6 cylinder cars (280ZX, Maxima, etc). 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hey there fellow 210 fellas! I'm looking to get an '81 B310 so I can put the 5-speed (and maybe the A/C equipment) in my '75 B-210 coupe, but now I'm curious about doing a little street ripper on the B310. Does 510 rear suspension really just bolt into the B310? I see in the service manual that it uses coil springs and multilink (upgrade from my leaf springs!) buy I'm not 100% sure. If it does, I see the T3 rear coilovers for 510 and they look pretty slick.

Seeking advice and knowledge! Thanks a bunch.

Edit: I'm not worried about front suspension, as 280ZX coilovers bolted into my B-210, no doubt they'll fit in the B310.

Edited by ToastyBass
Poor wording

The 510 IRS does not just 'bolt into' a 210 and why would you want it???? It has it's own faults. Stick with what you have.

I also doubt that zx front coils fit the 210 or the B-210 strut towers. They are too wide. The zx struts can fit and just use the 210 coils.

You need to do more research on this.

Datzenmike, I'm sorry, idk what to tell you, but my '75 B-210 has 280ZX coilovers & brakes on the front, they work great, stops on a dime. Pretty sure they're the complete T3 assembly (sucks bc you can only adjust the spring seat, basically like cutting springs)

I apologize for not being more specific.

Looking through a service manual, I noticed the B310 changed to using coil springs & multilink on the solid rear axle, an upgrade from my leaf springs. When I was asking about 510 compatibilities, I was referring to using 510 coilovers on the solid axle in place, not converting to IRS. That alone sounds like a nightmare I don't want to deal with unless I was making a whole tube chassis from scratch.

Coilovers yes but not zx coils.

Yes the zx calipers and vented rotors are a great up grade on any Datsun. I have Maxima front struts with larger calipers and they are vented rotors also. The Maxima is a large heavy car at 3,100 or close to 1,000 pounds more than your 210 and 300-400 pounds more than my 710.

• Like 1

Sorry I didn't differentiate coilovers from coil springs! My b!.......{210}

Anywho, thoughts on possibly using 510 coilovers in a B310?

The shock absorber dimensions look very comparable to each other, but the 510 does have heavier springs. (yes, I know it's the factory suspension but I'd assume that any coilovers, unless stated otherwise, would closely mimic the factory specs to imitate factory ride if not improve it)

Here's the set I'm looking at rn:

Silver Mine Motors COILOVER SUSPENSION KIT FOR DATSUN 510 1968-1973 with 30 STEP DAMPER COILOVERS NISSAN COUPE OR 4 DOORS (DOES NOT FIT STATION WAGON)

The coil over is basically a shock absorber with an adjustable coil on it. Any thing that matches the 210 rear shock for length and mounting will do, doesn't have to be for a 510. (they are probably more expensive just because they are for 510) Just like the Maxima struts and brakes are about the same as the zx but wrecking yards give them away. But if you say they are zx the price goes up because they are collectible.

'84 Maxima station wagon struts I got for nothing.

iu2VvTA.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/29/2023 at 3:22 PM, ToastyBass said:

Sorry I didn't differentiate coilovers from coil springs! My b!.......{210}

Anywho, thoughts on possibly using 510 coilovers in a B310?

The shock absorber dimensions look very comparable to each other, but the 510 does have heavier springs. (yes, I know it's the factory suspension but I'd assume that any coilovers, unless stated otherwise, would closely mimic the factory specs to imitate factory ride if not improve it)

Here's the set I'm looking at rn:

Silver Mine Motors COILOVER SUSPENSION KIT FOR DATSUN 510 1968-1973 with 30 STEP DAMPER COILOVERS NISSAN COUPE OR 4 DOORS (DOES NOT FIT STATION WAGON)

I don't know if the shock will fit or not but don't plan to keep the coil spring on it without some added bracing to the shock mounts on the top and bottom.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anybody know if B210 door seals will fit a 210? I've been emailing with Brad over at Datsport and they have B210 seals but not 210. Wasn't sure if the pins were in the same location and if it could be made to fit. The rubber over seas sucks ass but at the time it was all I could get. The driver side door is already shredding after only a few years. Meanwhile, the very last passenger door seal I could get from Nissan is still like new and I bought them around the same time. If B210 could work I'd like to try Datsport's unless someone has dealt with them and had a bad experience. I haven't found anyone who has yet though which is why I decided to contact them.

• Like 1
On 7/28/2023 at 6:37 AM, datzenmike said:

I don't know Kimberly, but they are damn close for the door shape. Part numbers are of course much different. Rubber cross section may also be totally different.

Yeah I was wondering if the rubber shape would work but I figured it could stretch over the door. My concern was if the pins would be in the same place if I could get it to wrap around the door.

On 7/28/2023 at 6:37 AM, datzenmike said:

I don't know Kimberly, but they are damn close for the door shape. Part numbers are of course much different. Rubber cross section may also be totally different.

And also, I meant to ask if anyone thinks the windshield seals will fit.

B210 check in!
Been daily driving my B again this summer. Man I missed it. Life has been hectic and it needed a little work.

I have a new summer toy which means no funds to buy non US spec bumpers like I had planned to eventually do last 9 years... I put the front bumper back on so I could tow it to the new house last summer (previous owner has tow bar mounts welded to it, they pulled it near 300k miles behind an RV).  I decided to mount up the rear bumper again. After taking off the bumperettes, drilling the absorbers and pushing them in nearly 3" I don't hate the look. I am not sure I will drill the front as I would trust the tow bar (get out of jail free card) even less... I will post pics of the rear mounted back up after the bumpers and grille get the fresh coat of paint they got prepped for yesterday. 

Seats! I have had some Prelude sport seats I wanted to put in this car as well as some out of a less torn up 78 B I picked up ages ago. The prelude seats were going to go in when I weld the floors, well the floors haven't gotten worse so I haven't gotten to it. Those seats are destined for my other project now anyways. So, in effort to make room in storage I put the '78 seats in. The rails mount a little differently between 75 and 78, so I had to flatten parts of the 78s shell so there was clearance for the slide lever. Well I got them in to find myself sitting a solid 3" lower than before. @6'2 this is something I should have done a long while ago. Its wild what 3" can do, the wheel feels so high now and I am not used to having a blind spot. Pedal angle is way better and I can actually heel toe a little easier now. And if I ever get the auto/rally-X bug I can fit with a helmet on now! 

I am considering mixing up the direction I take this car with the Celica in the garage now. I have been itching to build a baja bug for a while but have no space for a 3rd project car. Considering a mild safari build on the B210. Probably no body cutting, not cause I am worried about being able to go back to stock, but because I love how the car is now and am not sure I am ready to commit to giving this up. 

I will share some pics soon after parts are freshened up. May even throw on the "fancy" headlights with led turns I got from 5280Datsun 9 years ago (along with the seats, spare grille, bumper trims, and other misc parts). Could free up the openings in the grille for some projector driving lights or something silly.

53090620957_464a6d6288_z.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So update about rubber seals from Datsport. I sent them some measurements and a stamp of the cross section of the door seal. They sent me what they had and it's incredibly different and no guarantee that it would actually fit properly. They wanted over $400 which is a lot of money for a what if. Guy I've been talking to said he's got a 210 there and that he'd try it on there. He said it might take some time though. Would be amazing if they could make seals for the 210 that weren't crap. So I'm waiting to hear back now.

I'm not doubting what you say at all, but did someone take over the Datsport shop?  I know Baz passed away a while back, and I heard that Tracy was getting out of the biz.

I got to know them reasonably well, as I bought ton of stuff from them when I restored my Aussie 510 wagon.  They were really great people to deal with.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

I'm not doubting what you say at all, but did someone take over the Datsport shop?  I know Baz passed away a while back, and I heard that Tracy was getting out of the biz.

I got to know them reasonably well, as I bought ton of stuff from them when I restored my Aussie 510 wagon.  They were really great people to deal with.

Thanks.

I couldn’t answer that. This is the first time I’ve ever dealt with them. Their website is still up and running which is how I found them. I’ve chatted with Brad and Cam via email. Cam more than Brad. Seems really nice and helpful. Time will tell if they actually test out the weatherstrip. I remain cautiously hopeful.

• 4 months later...