1968 Datsun 520 SD22 diesel build

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got around 30.2mpg going 75mph most of it, there was some city driving(30 miles??), but normally I get 27mpg at best going that fast and when I come to a hill I am not going that fast anymore, this time I was doing 75mph no matter what hill I came to, and EGTs were not an issue, EGTs have always been my issue driving that fast, and I am not even running an inter-cooler.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I think the sd22 is done. I driving last night the truck was stalling at every red light the oil light would come on and the oil pressure gauge was reading 0. I changed the oil and filter this morning but it did not make a difference.Now I'm looking for a different engine, maybe a ka.

• Like 1

I don't know if I have the skills or tools to rebuild the engine. What would be causing the low oil pressure, could it be something that is fixable? The engine starts easily and the is no knocking that I can hear.

• Like 1

I have no idea why you would have lost oil pressure, I have an issue myself and have low oil pressure also, at least lower than I have ever seen before.

My 521 kingcab diesel is also turbocharged now, it ran great for a couple months and then started losing power on the freeway like the pre-filter was plugged, but it was not plugged, it idles funny sometimes also now, I am not losing coolant, and there is no smoke of any color coming out the tail pipe, I started to think headgasket myself even though it turns over evenly and starts easy, but it may be the injection pump

Do you also have power loss?

When I rebuilt my SD22 I had a shop take out and install the cylinders/sleeves, they measured everything and said everything was standard(mains/rods), they also rebuilt the head when I gave them a good one(first had cracks between the valves), I did the rest from a book about SD series engines, everything worked out fine except for the valve lash, it appeared I didn't tighten them down, as they were loose in no time.

I understand you thinking KA as you will never see power from one of these diesel engines without a turbocharger, I will never drive one without a turbo again, it's not a giant increase in power, but it makes the freeway enjoyable which was the biggest issue I had, around town was no biggie, but the freeway sucked unless you always drove 55mph, I cannot drive 55mph, it's not in my DNA, I like going 75/80mph, and the turbo makes it possible, the 521 kingcab diesel has 3.50 gears in the rear, the 720 has 3.30 gears in the rear, they both scream down the freeway at 75mph turning around 2500/2600rpms or less.

Keep in mind that I have SD25 engines(71hp stock), the 521 is likely pushing 100hp or more when running properly, and the 720 a little more, but that one the injection pump has been turned up, it has a shitload of torque even with the 3.30 gears in the rear, I can easily tow another diesel truck with that one, they both have heavy duty tow packages now.

If the 520 is your daily driver right now I would look for another truck to drive, find another diesel engine or rebuild the one you have, nothing can touch the mileage these engines get.

• Like 1

The wire was grounding out when I stopped causing the dpc to shut the engine off.

OK, I get it now, it was shutting down because it thought there was no oil pressure, I suppose I should put some electrical tape around my hanging wire.

I wonder if that could be used as an anti theft device somehow.

• Like 1