720 power steering on a 620

newguy

Until now, the information on this site regarding the powersteering conversion is very confusing. I, myself had alot of wrong information when I started mine. I actually bought a 720 steering box at first before I figured I needed the 280z/zx. So let's list this and you guys can correct me if I'm wrong. I'll be doing a write up once I'm done with mine.

So here's what you need for Powersteering conversion for 620:

1.) 280z or 280zx steering gearbox (enlarge one of the bolt holes and use the 620 pitman arm)

2.) 720 2wd or 4x4(tilt steering) steering column (You'll have better fit with the non tilt steering as the tilt steering one has a u-joint rubber piece that interfere with the brake master cylinder)

You're choice on either the pump or electric pump

3.) Manual PS Pump from 280z/280zx , Datsun 810 maxima L-series engine plus all the pulleys to go with it

4.) Electric PS pump from either 2nd gen toyota mr2 or the 3rd gen mr2. Preferably the 3rd gen if you have the budget.

That's it for now...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most 280z/zx were R&P steering. I think only the early years of zx had the boxes you want. Maybe late 280z. I have no idea wht this came off the car was crusjed at the time. I posted a picture of it earlier.

Mine came out of a 280zx but I guess the really earlier ones. You're right, majority of them had rack and pinion. Heres a thought, have you tried Rack and pinion from the z?

anythings possiable but R&P is going to be very hard. Alot more fabbing then most are willing to do. Most are looking for a days work, an 18 pack of beer and power steering done by the end of the day.

For those guys who race datsuns on a track would love to do R&P

Mine came out of a 280zx but I guess the really earlier ones. You're right, majority of them had rack and pinion. Heres a thought, have you tried Rack and pinion from the z?

Negative. The 280zx R&P is mounted behind the front wheels. If we look at just the driver's side front wheel the steering tie rod would have to pull the rear of the tire towards the center of the truck to turn left. If the R&P is mounted in the 620 location in the front a left turn will pull the front of the tire towards the center of the truck resulting in a right hand turn! The 280z pitman arm on the reg steering faces forward... when using the 620 pitman, it faces the rear and this makes it work. Steve this make sense???

The R&P would have to be mounted in the 290zx location behind the front wheels. Good luck with the torsion bars, frame, exhaust, rear sump oil pan and steering column tilt down, not to mention connecting to the spindles.

• 1 month later...

hello fellas

i am doing another sr20 s13 into a 72 datsun pu my last one was a 72 luv truck sr20det combo

looking to convert to power steering and am unable to find a 280zx power gear box. the pics you guys posted of the mounting and gear box look insanely identical to early isuzu pups. ill compare next weekend and get back to yall. good thing is if it does fit you could use a gear box all the way up to 86 pup.

do yall have any more info the 280zx gear box

hello fellas

i am doing another sr20 s13 into a 72 datsun pu my last one was a 72 luv truck sr20det combo

looking to convert to power steering and am unable to find a 280zx power gear box. the pics you guys posted of the mounting and gear box look insanely identical to early isuzu pups. ill compare next weekend and get back to yall. good thing is if it does fit you could use a gear box all the way up to 86 pup.

do yall have any more info the 280zx gear box

Take lots of oics and post them.

just a pic or two that might help out.

from this picture it looks like the steering shaft has a slip joint a u-joint and a rag joint, i dont think there is any reason why you couldnt make it work. the pump is mounted on that blck bracket on the front of the head and also bolts through the fuel pump bolt hole

DSCF1941.jpg

Well, close. It will set on the correct side of the frame and could be made to work. The unknown is, will the 620 pitman are fit it? The pup's pitman looks sort of like the 620 arm.

The 521 and 620 use a solid one piece steering column and integral steering box. The 720 has a rag joint, a small U joint and a splined slip joint so check out one of those to fit the pup's power box..

371388115.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another option for the steering column, on 55-57 Chevys when changing over to modern power steering if you want to keep the stock column, you cut it from the steering box, then shorten the outer housing more than the shaft. After that you install a rag joint on it and connect to the new power box. If you did this it seems it would be easier than converting to a 720 column, no wiring issues, mounting issues, and a stock look. I think this will be the route I will use, if I ever find the 280 box. I saw a 280 in the bone yard with the right looking box, and that's what sparked the idea that I might be able to change to power steering. By the time I found out that it would work, the 280 was gone, and every one I've seen since, has had rack and pinion. I hope this helps, Danchuck sells a kit to do the Chevy columns, but I'm sure if you look hard, you could find the right parts to do the 620 column, all that is needed is a bearing to support the shaft at the bottom of the column and the rag joint the right size to fit the shaft. :cool:

• 1 year later...

Old thread but I was wondering about putting PAS on 620 too.

Cutting and welding a pitman arm sounds very dodgy to me! They are under so much stress, even more so with power steering, and if that broke, you would probably wind up dead as you would suddenly have absolutely zero steering.

Anyways, thes all seems to be for USA (LHD) cars, I was wondering if anyone had done PAS on a RH drive Datsun truck? Would it be exactly the same (except opposite of course)?

Is a Hardbody another name for a D21?

• 2 years later...

I know this is old topic but i'm looking into doing this zx steering box swap... and they have them at summit racing if anyone is having trouble finding a good used unit.  CARiD has them for $117  :thumbup: I will post pics to my build thread.

• Like 1