Rebuild the stock carb or swap it out?

Gensaiken

I've been working on my truck it has a stock carb and it works but the auto choke seems to not function very well. I thought I fixed it but it just runs way too rough for average driving. It will frequently die and it's just annoying.

I prefer a manual choke over a automatic just because I like to set it where I want it rather than letting it figure it out on its own. :rolleyes:

Anyways, is it worth rebuilding the stock carb? or do I spend the big cash and go for the new webber? Look for a used webber? :huh:

A friend has a set of SU's "off a running 510 a year ago" :rolleyes: but if I remember correctly they won't fit quite right in a 620?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's the stock Hitachi, chances are the choke pull-off diaphragm is leaking vacuum and not workin properly. I just went for a used Weber for a little extra power as well. It's a water choke, so all I gotta do is run water lines to it, and I don't have to worry about running stuff for manual choke or wiring an electric.

I rebuilt my Hitachi when I rebuilt the L16 in my 521 4 years ago(kit was $23). Hasn't given me problems since. I don't think a 32/36 will do that much better for you, but that's just my opinion, based on my experiences. Other people I'm sure would disagree.

What's your buddy want for those SU's? ;)

I rebuilt my Hitachi when I rebuilt the L16 in my 521 4 years ago(kit was $23). Hasn't given me problems since. I don't think a 32/36 will do that much better for you, but that's just my opinion, based on my experiences. Other people I'm sure would disagree.

What's your buddy want for those SU's? ;)

I haven't quite made up my mind if I'm buying the SU's or not. Has manafold, linkage, no air cleaners or heat shield.. might be just cores at this point and rebuild is very expensive but I think he wants some where in the $100 range?

Where did you buy your rebuild kit?

if your carb is ok anytime else I would try the cheap choke conversion. YOu pull out the auto choke coil and take the new cap and you soemwho fit it on lever to pull the plaTE OPEN.

have you tried ajusting your mixture and timming also.

Be honest once I fucked with my auto choke it was either on too long or not on enough.(once you start driving it)

stock carbs are smooth and quiet with the stock aircleaner. But to rebuild is a bitch. a weber is ezer and pretty cheap when they come up for sale.

if your carb is ok anytime else I would try the cheap choke conversion. YOu pull out the auto choke coil and take the new cap and you soemwho fit it on lever to pull the plaTE OPEN.

have you tried ajusting your mixture and timming also.

Be honest once I fucked with my auto choke it was either on too long or not on enough.(once you start driving it)

stock carbs are smooth and quiet with the stock aircleaner. But to rebuild is a bitch. a weber is ezer and pretty cheap when they come up for sale.

Thanks for the insight hainz. I just got word from my dad that his friend has a connection for carb rebuilder. So I might get hooked up with a decent price to rebuild the stock hitachi. :D

Well, it looks like I'm going to get the carb rebuilt. I don't really have a clue when it comes to rebuilding a carb so I don't think I could accomplish it myself. Looks like it'll cost me about 100-125 for the rebuild. Doesn't sound too bad considering how long it should last.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like a few pieces for the hitachi are NLA mainly a piece for the automatic choke and one threaded part was completely stripped out. The guy who was rebuilding the carb did manage to find a new (old?) after market hitachi that is an identical match to mine. Guess he found it in some one's back room of crap?

Anyways, what do you guys think $200 for an older "new" after market hitachi? Cheaper than any other new hitachi and cheaper than a new webber (which I hear aren't as good quality as they used to be...) :unsure: