The Roadsterstein Rust Rocket build thread!!!

Nice little project car. Really is coming along nicely.

Now in this picture you are wearing safety goggles and loves to keep yourself protected. Smart move. I do the same thing.

Stillgrindingbolts.jpg

BUT HERE.........WTF......OVER!?!?!?!?!? I would NEVER ride without a helmet. ESPECIALLY on a dirt bike........when I'm standing on the seat. Even with my riding abilities. And I ride A LOT!

Do you have a special helmet that takes too long to put on. I'm pretty sure it would take longer to put you in a box.

33606_156560457700355_100000392040682_341053_261281_n.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, looks like hes doing about 2mph in that pic

Exactly! lol. I have full gear for when I actually go riding, but I had just done a bunch of work on the bike and decided to test ride it real quick. Of course, that rapidly turned into a show. I was barely moving when the pic was taken, so if I had fallen, I could have just jumped off and landed on my feet. No big deal, lol. Funny observation, though! :lol:

Actually, there is a pic of me in my gear earlier in the thread... I have been riding for 20 years now, and my gear has saved me plenty of times. If I am doing anything more than a test run, it comes out! :cool:

Stupid awesome build threads... They have a tendency of inspiring me to get a lot done on the car, except that I don't have the money right now! :crying: So anyway, I expect to get this baby rolling again in a couple of weeks. I have also decided that I should give this car a little more character in the process, since the mechanical aspects have been mostly ironed out. My plan for this summer:

1) FINISH THE BRAKES!!!

2) Install a GM alternator. (Mine went up in smoke... long story.)

3) Fix the window regulator. (The driver's side window falls down as you drive. I have the parts already.)

4) Fender flares! (My tires stick out too much, and I figure that would look cool, and solve the problem! I am thinking about using either 510 flares or 240z flares, but any opinions are welcome! Also, where can I get them for cheap?)

5) For some old school bling, amber fog lights! If anyone has suggestions on where to score some amber lights with a chrome surround for super cheap, let me know.

6) Rob the stereo from my 300zx, and install it in the datto. I just need to find some speakers!

7) Engine bay clean-up. Working on the brakes went a long way in this department already, but I think I can do more. I kinda want to pull the motor, and repaint the bay. I also want to re-do some wiring, but I am not sure what kind of time that would require. Maybe tuck some of it!

8) Valve adjustment... it is NOISY. Always has been.

I want a nice, clean ratsun to take to events. The motor is definitely on it's last legs, but hopefully I can wring some more life out of it. Anyone know how to get it to stop putting gas in th oil? I am assuming it needs new rings, but if there is a simpler fix, even if it is a crappy one, I'll take it! Otherwise, the motor runs pretty well.

I am so excited for this!!!! :frantics:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got around to doing some work... just not on the brakes. For the entire time I have owned the car, the driver's side door has been a mess. The window wouldn't roll all the way up and stay there, the door stop was torn free from the door, the seals were shot, the lock and the handle was loose, and the thing had a million pounds of bondo on it. I had left it alone because I plan to swap the whole body out at some point, and I didn't feel like it would be worth the hassle. Well, I decided that was the wrong approach today, and now I am in the process of switching everything over to the door from my donor car, which is missing all the parts, but the door itself it completely flawless. No rust, no dents, nothing. The hinges are even in great shape!

DoorlessDatsun.jpg

I am pulling everything out, cleaning and fixing everything I can, and then putting it back together. My door won't match anymore, but who cares, right? It will just make it look like more of a Ratsun! Right now, the car is sealed up with plastic, as I work on the car inside. I will post some more pics of what I have done later.

PlasticwrappedDatto.jpg

So, here is the super awesome bonus part: I needed some wire brushes for cleaning the parts, and decided to make a trip to the parts store... While I was there, I browsed the clearance rack for a while, and found some window tint with no price. When I asked the guy how much it was, he said it was five cents!!!! For a 6 1/2 foot roll!!! Looks like the Datto is getting window tint!!! I just have to figure out how to get the stripped screws out of the wing window, and this will be a perfect opportunity to do the job right.

I do have one question though... is it a good idea to put window tint on the plastic window of my hardtop? It is a solid plexiglass window, but I don't want to screw it up. If anyone knows, let me know!

Well, once I finish up the brakes and whatnot, I know the chassis would be fine for a trip like that. On the other hand, the motor would likely spread oil all over the highway about halfway there, lol! The engine is not in good enough shape to drive that far. At 75mph, it is rapped up near the redline anyway. Once I shoehorn the KA24 in there, hell yeah, I would be down for a road trip!!! :lol:

its a big ratsun get together in canby oregon. there is a swap meet and a show.

most of Ratsun goes, but its not a Ratsun event.

its put on by Datsuns NW and its the biggest all Datsun show on the west coast

Well, I figured out why the tint was so cheap! It is "peel and cling" tint... so, not actual window tint. :< Oh well, I decided since I was this far, I would buy some real tint and do it anyway. After two tries, I finished the wing window. It has new hardware, has been cleaned and polished, and now has 35% tint on it. I also made a ghetto seal out of black silicone. It came out okay, and looks way better than the crumbly 40yr old seal! I will upload more pics as I get more done. For now, I have to go to work. :(

Well, I figured out why the tint was so cheap! It is "peel and cling" tint... so, not actual window tint. :< Oh well, I decided since I was this far, I would buy some real tint and do it anyway. After two tries, I finished the wing window. It has new hardware, has been cleaned and polished, and now has 35% tint on it. I also made a ghetto seal out of black silicone. It came out okay, and looks way better than the crumbly 40yr old seal! I will upload more pics as I get more done. For now, I have to go to work. :(

Darn, if I'd have known you needed window tint I have a crap ton left from doing my roadster.

• Like 1

Darn, if I'd have known you needed window tint I have a crap ton left from doing my roadster.

Man, that would have been awesome! Did you do the rear window in your car? I have a hardtop, but it has a plexiglass rear window... I am not sure what the tint will do.

• 2 weeks later...

Made more progress on the door, but I have been taking my time on it. I got new window seals from Dean at Datsunparts.com, and now I need to get around to reassembling everything. The car was rained on and in since my plastic wrap job fell off, but I am honestly not worried, as the thing never sealed up before anyway! lol.

I also went down to the new racetrack here in Colorado, High Plains Raceway. Holy cow, what an incredible track!!! I hitched a ride in some pretty neat cars, and got to experience the track from the best seat around, lol. Really served as some inspiration for me! Looks like the roadster is in for a long winter this year!!!

All along, I have been whining about a general lack of funds for the car. That is because I have been building this car with next to nothing in my wallet. I did most of the work using money I made at WalMart, and now I have been trying to piece it together with money I make at Best Buy... Working part time for $9 an hour. All while living on my own, and no, I am not the type to bum money from friends or family. Well, that is all about to change!!! I have been promoted at work (finally), and I am now a car audio installer! By the sounds of it, I will be full-time, and making a whole lot more than I did at either one of my last jobs! Time to go crazy on the car! :D :D :D

This means I am hopefully going to begin rebuilding the KA24 this winter, in preparation for the swap. I am planning on trying to run 11:1 compression, a ported and polished head with a mild cam, and run it on E-85. I think that should be good for about 160-180 crank horsepower. I still need to do some research. Honestly, I don't really care how much it puts out, I just want a nice stable and quick engine under the hood... I want to try my hand at High Plains Raceway! (Not in any division, just club track days.)

Stay tuned!!! Things are going to get serious soon!!! :devil:

Although late, I have pictures as promised!

This is my old door, full of bondo.

2011-06-14143205.jpg

A pic of what made me realize how bad the door was:

2011-06-14143306.jpg

So, I tore everything out of the old door, disassembled it, and spent more time than the parts deserved cleaning them. Every part was pulled out, polished with steel wool, and re greased if needed. I even cleaned up and polished all the screw heads!

2011-05-30205652.jpg

2011-05-31130045.jpg

I also used silicone to rebuild the wing window gasket. I pulled the destroyed rubber out, cut it up and used it to hold the window in place, and made a new silicone gasket. I tinted the window before installing it too.

2011-05-30205718.jpg

2011-05-31160555.jpg

I am not quite done yet, as I have had some issues with the window alignment, but this gives you an idea.

2011-06-13160331.jpg

I also scored a sweet deal on some speakers at work! I got Kicker 5.25" speakers for $20! They are normally $100, but these went clearance because they are last year's model:

2011-06-14143641.jpg

I also bought a mirror from ebay for $5, but I am thinking about doing bullet mirrors on the fenders instead... What do you think?

2011-06-14143736.jpg

• 10 months later...

It has been a long time, but finally I have something new to report on the car! I sent it in to have the caliper mounts built about a year ago.I gave it to a guy who has been my friend and mechanic for about 6 years. It took him over a year to finish it! Not sure he will ever see the car again.... Anyway, he did get it done, and I have begun working on it again.

She sat for a very long time, and she is filthy now... The rattle can paint job has finally given up after 3 years. This is how it currently looks:

2012-04-24185456.jpg

The new brakes in the rear:

2012-04-24175920.jpg

Last night, I decided to do something fun and easy to get me back into the game since I haven't worked on it in so long, so I replaced the radio since the old one was a cassette player from the 80's or 90's...

2012-04-25195902.jpg

This new radio has an AUX port, so I can play music from my phone! Best part, the radio was free! It is used, and the FM antenna doesn't work on it, but I never listen to the radio anyway, so I don't care. I also wired the car for speakers, which will be a later project. While I was back there, I had to pull the choke cable to remove the center console, and as a result, I discovered why my choke has never worked properly...

2012-04-25195825.jpg

It is frayed very badly. I'm not even sure if one of the cables is still attached... I plan on using the instructions on the PMWIKI tech section on 311s.org to rebuild it, and will also relocate it to where the hand throttle cable currently is. I think the reason it frayed is because it got jammed behind the old radio. My hand throttle cable doesn't work anyhow, and I like that placement more. Problem solved!

I have also decided to try to repaint the car this fall, since the old paint has reached the end of its life. I plan to repaint the car its original color, which was white. I am going to do the Rustoleum in a paint gun thing, because I can get great results for about $50. Unfortunately, my car's body is a MESS. Rust, bondo, rust, fiberglass, bondo, bondo, bondo, lol! So, I am trying to figure out how best to tackle that problem... I have considered ZG style fender flares to replace the HORRIBLE rust around the wheel in the back (With front flares to match, obviously) and I have also considered replacing the front clip with the one from the yellow car.... here is why:

2012-04-24185522.jpg

There are visible welds all over the place, rust holes, and poorly done fiberglass everywhere. It looks awful. The yellow car's front clip appears to have a little bondo, but it is not bad at all. Has anyone just replaced the front clip? How hard is it to do? I am not going for a perfect showcar, but is it really hard to get things to line up?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I dove right in yesterday! I pulled the choke cable, removed the alternator, ordered a new air filter, removed the carbs, and installed speakers!

2012-05-07232202.jpg

My buddy came over to work on his engine, too. He is building a turbo Honda Wagovan RT4WD, lol! Should be quite a sleeper.

2012-05-04161922.jpg

The security system I purchased for the car... it has zone detection, so if someone reaches in the car (even with the top down,) the alarm will sound! I also bought power door locks, and will be deleting the key cylinders in the doors since I have no key (And they don't work,) in favor of the power ones with a key fob. :twisted:

2012-05-07174209.jpg

This is the choke cable... see how kinked it is? that is why the cables jammed, and ultimately frayed. The cable was stuck behind the radio. I will relocate the choke cable to avoid this.

2012-05-07232019.jpg

This is damage I will be fixing today! The burned/corroded wire is the white power wire for the car. I will replace the damaged section and maybe beef it up a little since I have 8awg wire laying around. More on this later.

2012-05-07232112.jpg

This alternator is IDENTICAL to the old one as far as pulley size and mounts. I don't think the old one was the original though, because it said "Mitsubishi" on the back.I plan to wire the new one up to the safety brake light in the dash. Now the "B" will mean "battery," lol.

2012-05-07232138.jpg

NEW SPEAKERS!!!! These Kickers sound INCREDIBLE. They mounted right in the hole, with no mods other than screwing them in. This is the first time the car has had a working radio, and it is glorious. I hooked the battery up to a trickle charger and we jammed all night while we worked. Amazing bass from 5.25" speakers, they vibrate the whole car! Oh, yeah, and the beer is home made. A friend brought it over to help us work, lol!!!

I also bought a UniSyn, so hopefully I can get the carbs dialed in a bit better.

Oh, I also changed the name, as it was suggested to me that the car was no longer "cheap," and it is rapidly becoming the Frankenstein monster with all of the various parts from other cars being used to cobble it all together. I hope you all don't mind!!! ;)

I also spent more time working on her after work, and got some cool stuff done!

Still working on the wiring harness... I deleted the factory fog light wiring, and all of the wiring for the external regulator. I already replaced the main battery cable with a nice new fine strand 4awg wire, and made a new harness for the starter. Next I will be adding my own wiring for my amber fog lights that will use a relay (safer), and the wiring for the new alternator. The main charging wire is already there and replaced. You can see it, it is the 10awg white wire. This means all the damaged wiring has been replaced!

2012-05-09233721.jpg

I moved the choke cable to the place where the hand throttle was, (Hard to see) after rebuilding it according to the instructions on the PMWIKI tech section!!! Holy cow does it work nicely now!

2012-05-09233749.jpg

You can really see how dirty the car has gotten after sitting for two years.

In order to move the choke cable, you have to grind a tiny amount of material off the edge of the housing... just enough to match the round front. Then it slides right in the hole like it was meant to be! This way, the radio doesn't interfere with it.

2012-05-09214243.jpg

And finally... NEW AIR FILTER!!! This has been in the plans for a long time, I just couldn't afford it. Then, I got a brilliant idea. Why spend so much on a new original one when I could go high flow! Moreover, why use a pricey E1290 K&N when Spector exists? I cross-referenced the part numbers, and the guy at Autozone sold me this filter for $20. Sweet, right??? It is a cotton/oil filter just like the K&N, and can even be cleaned and oiled with the K&N cleaning kit. It is a great alternative!

2012-05-09233657.jpg

I also got this nifty little thing for $20 on ebay! Score.

2012-05-09233915.jpg

Did your buddies Honda RT4wd wagon have a crack in the block before and was it for sale on craigslist? Pretty sure I was trying to buy it at one point and he never answered me back :D I got a 1976 civic out of it anyways Awesome looking roadster, I would have loved to build an Awesome KA when I had my 260z. Should be a fun Roadster when your done.

Did your buddies Honda RT4wd wagon have a crack in the block before and was it for sale on craigslist? Pretty sure I was trying to buy it at one point and he never answered me back :D I got a 1976 civic out of it anyways Awesome looking roadster, I would have loved to build an Awesome KA when I had my 260z. Should be a fun Roadster when your done.

Haha, maybe! He did buy it off craigslist, and the previous owner said it had a blown engine. He got it for $500. The engine wasn't blown though, it just had a lot of issues. He tore it all apart and has been fixing it piece by piece. He wants it to be a WRX killer, just to see the expressions on people's faces. lol. His is red, was the one you looked at the same color?