turbo z24?!

tomcat

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well 8 PSI is about 50% more air so theoretically 50% more power. You're at about 150 ish HP.

215/450 isn't a big cam. Bit more lift though. The stock cam is 248/413" lift but this is absolute duration and not measured at 0.050" lift like most cams.

E85 contains mostly alcohol which contains about 20% less energy in it compared to straight gas. It's also more corrosive to older fuel systems. It is more knock resistant though.

thanks mike. my cam is a regrind of stock. 216@.050 278@.006 lobe seperation is 99 which makes me wonder about the boost. and looking up aftermarket cams im in between street and race on lift but stock on duration. i traded smogs for my cam, told him go as big as poss with regring, basicly paid $30 and an hour for cam. noticed a big diference with cam. what do you think will create more power with 8psi stock or my cam, i have both. and really interested timing advice. like do i need boost retard or is it not worth the money for this low of boost. and with e85 i can run more timing(more power) right?

I would run stock duration to keep the overlap at minimum. Lift, you can go as high as you like, just remember the rule: "a turbo will make any engine breath better" so I don't think you have to go crazy here with resultant wear and tear and piston clearance issues.

Z engines run BPR6ES on the intake side and a cooler BP5ES on the exhaust because they run hotter. I would run stock until you get the turbo sorted and then make a decision based on plug color. Definitely get a wide band so you know your a/f ratio when boosting. This is invaluable for tuning and can keep you from blundering into a pre ignition condition from too lean mixture.

i plan on a fuel cell going in and replacing all the rubber lines so there wont be any older fuel system. i was just thinking with e85 i can get away with more timing which will mean more power right? and its only 3 something a gal compared to 10 for race fuel and close to the same octane (e85=110, race=114)

good to know, i have a boy with a 650 hp point n/a point on e85. i have to send my carb back for blow through, very little more to make e85. from my knowlage of n/a, jetted properly e85 makes more power then pump. so shouldnt turbo be the same. im really hoping someone here will know weather pump or 85 would creat more power under boost. both ways built right what will create more power?

or sugguestions, e85 or pump. im a few months away from a desision so give me your opinion and why

i have a cheveron that sells it 20mins from my house. i know high compression loves it but doesnt boost love the same high octane. i know american v 8s and how to build them, but this 4 cyl thing is all new to me. so with 8psi what will create more power e85 or 91. both will cost me the same fuel milage to gal price.

Discussion about z22/z24 intakes/heads.......For what it is worth I have had great luck w/a z24 intake/weber on my z22 long block. I know they are diff shapes but w/ a paper gasket & Permatex #2(non hardening) I have had Zero leaks. Motor runs as strong as any z24 I've driven so I do not think the difference hurts "flow". Turbulance in the port helps aid fuel/air atomization.

• 9 months later...

Kind of a revival from the dead, but it's along the same lines as this thread so why make a new one?

Anyways, going back to the difference in intake ports. Is there enough manifold on the Z18ET to be able to make the ports the same size/shape? If there is who's to say you couldn't just use the gasket as a template and machine out the ports? Or if there's not could you weld the Z24 flange onto a Z18 intake, thus giving the same size/shape and bolt pattern? That would solve the possible gasket blow out from boost and give that little extra air flow somewhere to go instead of just hitting the head and loosing some of the boost potential.

00770026.jpg