521 charging problem I think

kansascity1

I have problems with my charging system I believe. I don't know if it's wired wrong or what. I recently relocated the battery to the bed. The only thing different I did from the way it was is, instead of the 10 gauge wire coming from my battery to the firewall I tied the wire from the firewall into the terminal on the starter where the hot off the battery goes. I ran 4 gauge from the battery to the starter and I ran a 4 gauge ground from the battery to the frame. Also a 4 gauge ground from the block to the frame. I'm not sure if the battery is getting any charge. After I jumped it today and let it run for a while (30 minutes) and drove it around the block, I pulled it in the garage and turned the lights on. As soon as I pulled the knob for the lights it killed it, and it wouldn't do shit after that. If anyone has any clue what I could have done wrong please let me know. I thought it could be my battery, but I'm not sure. I do know my battery is shot though.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put a new battery in it, started it and disconnected the battery. The truck stayed running, until I turned the lights on, it died instantly. Hooked the battery back up, restarted in and turn the lights on with the battery connected, no problem there. If I turn my air compressor on with the battery connected it works, no battery no workie, and kills the truck. Then I started wiggling wires off the alternator and tried the lights again with the battery disconnected and it worked and I was reading 14.5 volts on the battery cable. I found wires exposed coming off the alternator. Probably a big portion of my problem. It still won't hold my compressor though, unless the battery is connected. Then it is strictly drawing off the battery. I am going to have to upgrade to a Saturn alternator to do what I want. My compressor draws around 70 amps I believe. Hopefully replacing that wire will solve my problem running the accessories and charging the battery.

It is never a good idea to run with the battery disconnected as it prevents voltage spikes that could harm any electronics. My old Cutlass was unconnected once and when I reved it up, the headlights lit up briefly like someone was arc welding. Wow that was close.