Project 620 - Build Thread

79D50

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The radiator has been re-cored and is is cooled by an electric fan. Upgraded 55 amp alternator as well. Come hear it run, yard it out (I've got a picker) and take her away. PM me for price and details.

DatDoug (RIP) helped me rebuild the top end.

• Like 2

With the little turd gone we go from 90 to closer to 180 HP and that is without the blower. Now you see why I had to wait for the suspension/brake upgrades. This will mate to a performance built  5 speed.

I designed and built this like you would a big block motor:

Marnal Head / Balanced and Blueprinted bottom end / Stage 2 CAM / Schneider springs and valves / Ported and polished head, intake and header. Header is tri y Doug Thorley. Header and intake is port matched to head. Bottom end is clevit bearings forged rods, hyperutectic flat top pistons, ARP bolts throughout....On top sits a 38/38 built with plastic floats and over sized jets to accommodate a C2 procharger snail hanging where the P/S pump used to be. This will blow through an intercooler and straight into the carb. Boost will be set around 8 PSI and produce roughly 35-45 HP. Full MSD ignition system and an 8PSI electric fuel pump lights the fire. There's  more but I am forgetting it...hell it was built almost 10 years ago. Lightened fly-wheel and a centerforce clutch get the power to the back.

engine_1.jpg

engine_2.jpg

engine_3.jpg
  • Like 3

I will post more pictures of the suspension and brake build as Jason sends them to me. He should have the rear wrapped up by this weekend then we can start on the front end. Getting excited to see how it will handle even with the little turd still in it.  :thumbup:

BTW - I made some posts a long time ago when that engine was built. If you know what it is then let others take a guess. 

Hint: It is punched to 2.8 liters. It is an era correct motor originally built in 1977. Was used all the way up to 1992. These can be built up to 800 HP with the right mods and were in some pretty hot cars back in the 80's. Guess away. 

• Like 3

Yes..4G54 which is a distant cousin to the 4G63 Sirius motors that were so successful in the EVO's. My original plan was to build a DOHC 4G63 but at the time, they were expensive and not readily available.  Keep in mind I had a 1979 Dodge Ram 50 Sport which was planned for a full restoration. I built the drivetrain first for the 50 and then when I started in on the body, a 620 caught my eye and there you have it.

If I was to do it over again, I wouldn't - haha. Buy turn key, you'll save a small fortune.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

It has been 3 months since I shipped the truck to Oregon and the 620 is now back in my garage. It is  sporting a full suspension make-over with 100% new parts all around. Everything was replaced or upgraded.

QA1 Coliovers and Disc brakes on all 4's. BeeBani's kits are high quality components and killer fit and finish. With a brand new 280ZX MC, 4 piston 300ZX Calipers, and vented/cross drilles rotors, this truck will stop on a dime. The montero rear calipers and rotors are a huge upgrade as well vs. stock drums. It should handle like a brand new car with modern equipment - I can't wait to drive it.

Next step is to get the bed and gas tank back on the truck. Once it is whole again, it goes down to Lakewood to get the motor/tranny/exhaust installed. Post transplant, I have to spend time tweaking the suspension and brake setup to finalize the build.

Once done, this is truly a 100% complete restoration of the truck. Nothing mechanical will be stock - all custom. The truck will then get cleaned up for the upcoming car show season. Ultimately we are working on a marketing plan to get it submitted to multiple magazines and shows - this is a very competitive effort as there are a million hoops to jump through. I've got quite a bit of "re-do" items to truly make this a high quality restoration. Paint and body needs a minor refresh as well as some custom interior parts which will be changed.

Hopefully, all you folks can help me get over the finish line with a few parts:

1. Brown Dash Bezel - I painted mine black and it is nice but I regret the carbon fiber inserts in the gauge pods. They are glued and screwed into the plastic.

2. Stock RH Fender in good to great shape - Mine is an aftermarket fender and has never had the fit and finish that looks good on all reveals. Door has never shut properly.

3. LSD 3rd Member - I am now committed to an LSD and new axles/bearings etc to lay the power down and perform as expected. I know these can be spendy so shoot me what you have.

This is all I can think of for now - thanks in advance!

Heads Up!! FOR Sale <will also post in classifieds>

• L18 Peanut Head 32 Weber with recent head gasket/valve train overhaul - many other upgrades
  • Strong Clutch mated to a dog leg 5 speed

Take the whole longblock and tranny - $500 bucks **It truly runs fantastic.

• Like 2