Battery Voltage Drop????

laniadude

does anyone have this problem? When the truck is on and the Headlights are off, the volt guage reads...14.** when I turn the lights on, it drops down to just above the 12 volt line... sometimes it goes below the 12 volt line.. I just replaced the voltage regulator and had the altenator tested a shucks with a load and without a load.. From what I just explained, it might not sound like a problem but one time while I was on the freeway, I glanced at the volt guage, and saw that it was all the way down to 0..and the motor started sputtering..I had to jump start it and let it charge with the lights off....And it charged...:confused::confused: This is confusing...I don't know what to else check...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone have this problem? When the truck is on and the Headlights are off, the volt guage reads...14.** when I turn the lights on, it drops down to just above the 12 volt line... sometimes it goes below the 12 volt line.. I just replaced the voltage regulator and had the altenator tested a shucks with a load and without a load.. From what I just explained, it might not sound like a problem but one time while I was on the freeway, I glanced at the volt guage, and saw that it was all the way down to 0..and the motor started sputtering..I had to jump start it and let it charge with the lights off....And it charged...:confused::confused: This is confusing...I don't know what to else check...

In addition to Brian's ideas also check the belt tension. Under heavy load there is increased resistance to being turned by the motor. If the pulleys are glazed or the belt is oily and slipping it wont keep up and the battery will begin to discharge. Is there oil spraying onto the alternator? It will get on the brushes and affect the charging. Break cleaner should remove the oil without damaging anything.

The '74 620 had an alternator output of an unbelievably low 28 amps!!!! Is it any wonder that the heater fan speeds up and slows down when the turn signals are flashing??? The 'newer' 720 were 60 amp but I would go for a 90. Check the FAQ for a conversion to a Saturn alt. Well worth it.