New guy here... new little engine.

Hey guys.... I may be new to Ratsun but not new to Datsuns... I have a good amount of knowledge around the L series engine(mostly L6 engines), so I figured I would use L series parts, among other parts, to build my powerplant. Just showing what I'm doing here.

The parts I have gathered so far: Pistons, reconditioned rods, reconditioned crankshaft (.5mm on mains, .25mm on rod journals), fresh bearings.

2010-04-22%2012.27.00.jpg

**EDIT** Now using a closed chamber A87 head**

This top end is about to get worked completely over... fairly fresh Z24 head with some 45mm individual throttle bodies, prepped rockers, port cleanup, new valve guides and I'm looking around for some better valve springs.

2010-04-22%2012.27.17.jpg

I'm prepping an L20B block to house this assembly.

Should be a good little torque monster.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vroom, can't wait to watch this build, any renderings of the car you'd like to share?

This is a very early, very rough sketch....

DSCF9600.JPG

Physical parts layout....

DSCF9596.JPG

I haven't really seen many L series 4 cylinder based builds that made any kind of real power other than the Turbo-Tom built L20B engines of fame, and one aussie built N/A engine that involved changing the angle of the intake valves. Hopefully that is about to change. This bottom end is good for way more horsepower than I will need (350+hp), but can I get the top end to flow enough?

whats the plan for the suspension?

4 wheel independent...unless I get a deal on this quick change rear end that I'm looking at. Upper control arms will be circle track stuff, first generation Z car front spindles are modified for upper control arms with toyota 4x4 brakes, 7/8" master cylinder, and a brand new series 1 240Z brake booster (already have that Z stuff laying around). If I decide I need more braking, Z32 brake stuff will go on there.

The race wheels are 15x8 diamonds and will have 225/45R15 hoosiers mounted on them.

Z24 heds flow as much as a stock l20 head why are you using that?

There won't be much "Z24" left when I finish welding. Z24 heads aren't that bad once you can fix the sharp inner radius, plus packaging of the engine is better with a crossflow design, since I have a narrow engine bay.

Plus I like the idea of having 2 plugs per cylinder for a boosted engine. Ignition will have coils for a wasted spark distributorless 8 cylinder engine, although I won't be wasting the spark. ;-)

Did I mention the 2006 Holset sitting in my closet?

There won't be much "Z24" left when I finish welding. Z24 heads aren't that bad once you can fix the sharp inner radius, plus packaging of the engine is better with a crossflow design, since I have a narrow engine bay.

Did I mention the 2006 Holset sitting in my closet?

Ahhh I thought you where trying to do this na I was going to say you are crazy lol

Ahhh I thought you where trying to do this na I was going to say you are crazy lol

There isn't really a good datsun N/A head to use on the old blocks without spending way too much time working the intake side of things, but a KA24DE head would work fine if you could get enough bore out of the block to give clearance for the valves. I like having an engine that can be rebuilt one or two times without having to get a new block each time because of a rediculously huge bore.

(not saying datsun heads suck, but far from ideal as there are much more sucky heads out there)

I'm using a very conservative bore and a fairly long stroke on this engine. Torque is very important to me in this car. Good streetability in low RPMs but should flow well enough for higher RPM boost (limited until I find some better valve springs that will work in a Z24 head). Obviously this is not an all-out 10,000RPM race engine, but its not a slug of a truck engine either.

I have my doubts on this, no offense. From the sketch to the final product is an insane amount of work, time,and money no matter how good you are and thats not even counting the tools you will need for the body work.

But if your like me telling you it cant be done will only motivate you more. Good luck on this

Seriously!!! I want to see lots of pics on this project. Like the mod to the struts to use an upper control arm. Looking forward to seeing what kind of tools and skills you have to bring this about.

Awesome!! I say go for it!!!! I love the design!!

Where is SE?

You don't say much about the motor except L20B block so that must be a Z22 crank, 6" rods? Pistons aren't L or Z nor KA24Es so must be custom. So how much larger than the stock L20B's.

2010-04-22%2012.27.00.jpg

The turbo will go a long way to correcting the Z head's poor breathing.

Seriously!!! I want to see lots of pics on this project. Like the mod to the struts to use an upper control arm. Looking forward to seeing what kind of tools and skills you have to bring this about.

Awesome!! I say go for it!!!! I love the design!!

Where is SE?

Here is another little toy I picked up from a friend of mine.

2010-04-25%2013.27.02.jpg

Spins smooth, no play.

You can build up an L series engine but by that time, you could have gone to like a KA or SR motor and probably have spent less. I thought about building up an L series engine and could not make up my mind with either KA or SR and just decided to stick with an L18 rebuilt engine....not much more power than an L16 but it's just a DD and suits me fine...

You can build up an L series engine but by that time, you could have gone to like a KA or SR motor and probably have spent less. I thought about building up an L series engine and could not make up my mind with either KA or SR and just decided to stick with an L18 rebuilt engine....not much more power than an L16 but it's just a DD and suits me fine...

I got all my parts for very cheap, and this isn't going in a daily driver. Plus it helps that I have access to a machine shop to machine my little bits.

Not everything I do is for the best power/$ ratio.

I have a friend that is practically giving away a perfect low mile SBF 302... that would have beat the pants off of any datsun engine for the power/$ ratio.

Lets just say this is a bit of an experiment.

Building a hot rod from a scratch ???!!! Are you kidding ??!!

350+ hp !!!!! How much of torque ? which tranny can take it ??!!

Designing and fine tuning suspension??!!

You have just opened the gate of HELL . Good luck

Haha! I'll be more than overjoyed if this motor ever made that kind of power. The bottom end is being built stout to support 350+hp.

Will this head ever flow enough for 300hp? I doubt it. Overbuild the bottom end to last, then build the head to flow as much as possible and you won't outgrow your strong bottom end.

Planning on using a $50 240sx tranny in an L series bell housing. Maybe one day an S15 6 speed if I can figure out how to get it mounted in that bell housing.

I have a basically new SPEC clutch left over from my Z car stuff that should hold 300hp, considering the weight of this car.

Every day I work on race cars. Sunrise to Sundown. I see what works and what doesn't.

Like I said, this is an experiment. I have no idea how much power this engine will make, but it better make at least 180hp. LOL