1980 Datsun 210 (310) Sunny

Ok guys... Here's a pic as promised taken at the Old School Showdown on Oct 2, 2011. They only took one picture because it always come down to the trailer queens and who's in what crew and etc. I've been meaning to take more pictures, but I've been busy helping my brother with his pad. As soon as I can I will post some up. Enjoy!

Old%252520School%252520Import%252520Meet.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I've been doing a lot of searching for over a year or two, (ebay, Yahoo! Japan auctions, NZ's trademe, forums, etc.), and I finally did it! I've managed to get myself a set of bumpers. Check it out!

2011-10-22_12-16-06_831.jpg

2011-10-22_12-17-09_731.jpg

And to think I was very close to giving up... patience is key. Now I need the brackets in order to slap them on.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Good news, I did progress a bit on Saturday with measuring up some brackets for the rear bumper. This past week my father took some measurements and brought home some steel or s/s pieces from his job to mock up some brackets. Although we didn't get to weld them, we used some hardware to secure the pieces in place. Once we get the stick welder back from a neighbor, we will weld the pieces in place and remove the hardware for a more "professional" look. Lot's of props to my dad for being on my side, and helping me with materials/everything else... I can't deny the fact that I'm blessed with great people in my family.

I was able to snap some pictures of how the brackets look, and how the bumper will sit. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do.

2012-05-05_14-25-57_136.jpg2012-05-05_16-40-33_749.jpg2012-05-05_13-59-07_437.jpg

The bumper was pretty oxidized, so I gave it a quick buff... look at the difference.

2012-05-05_16-41-15_470.jpg2012-05-05_16-41-30_184.jpg2012-05-05_16-57-04_261.jpg

Unfortunately, no mocking of the front bumper was done due to conflicts with my schedule, but I'm crossing my fingers to get it done this friday. I'll definitely keep you guys updated.

I haven't decided on the manual swap because I have another project to work on and finish. As of now I'm only focusing on minor things like the bumpers and suspension. Once I begin on an engine/trans swap I'm pretty sure you guys will be updated asap.

• 4 weeks later...

You can put the Ground Control springs on the stock 210 (B310) struts, they are the same size as the 280ZX struts. You can also put 280ZX inserts in the 210 struts.

The only reason to use the 280ZX struts would be to get the vented disk rotors. You can actually fit larger rotors to the 210 struts, but buying the whole 280ZX strut/hub/brake assembly is an easy way to do it.

• Like 1
The only reason to use the 280ZX struts would be to get the vented disk rotors.

There are at least 5 reasons I can think of just off the top of my head... :P

Bigger brakes (WAAAAY bigger)

Better parts availability (I can always walk into the parts store and get 280ZX stuff, 210 stuff is always special order)

Shorter strut housings (less bottoming out on a lowered car)

1/2" per side decrease in track width (allows you to run deeper offset wheels)

Better steering geometry (better scrub radius)

And if you also use the 280ZX ball joints and steering knuckles there's a slight increase in steering gear ratio/ackerman angle.

There are at least 5 reasons I can think of just off the top of my head... :P

Bigger brakes (WAAAAY bigger)

Better parts availability (I can always walk into the parts store and get 280ZX stuff, 210 stuff is always special order)

Shorter strut housings (less bottoming out on a lowered car)

1/2" per side decrease in track width (allows you to run deeper offset wheels)

Better steering geometry (better scrub radius)

And if you also use the 280ZX ball joints and steering knuckles there's a slight increase in steering gear ratio/ackerman angle.

Thank you very much sir! This is great info for future references :thumbup: Now I just gotta find myself some 280zx struts.

OK, it took me about a month, but I got to mount the front bumper. With my work schedule and rain getting in the way, it's a bit hard to get things done. This is not the finalization of the bumpers, of course, I have to weld the metal pieces that form the bracket in order to remove all the hardware holding everything in place. I also ordered a pair of new bumper lights from ebay to put in place of the old cracked ones, which will soon be coming in from Thailand. BTW, Im trying to figure out what kind of male bullet connectors were used on the USDM signal lights, since the Asian/Eastern market used different connectors. I did order some 16-18 gauge bullet connectors from summitracing.com, but they weren't the ones (too big). Any idea guys, before I start splicing and cutting the wire harness?

Anyways, here are the pics:

2012-06-06_18-20-53_337%255B1%255D.jpg]2012-06-06_18-21-37_313%255B1%255D.jpg2012-06-06_18-25-10_632%255B1%255D.jpg2012-06-06_18-23-50_750%255B1%255D.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought some bullet connectors off of ebay for old japanese motorcycle wiring and they matched, regular ones from my store didn't work.

Quick question regarding the 280zx front strut assembly, what's the lowest one can go with the ground control coilover kit? I want pictures, too. I'm purchasing a set soon, and if I go with the ground control kit I want to be sure I could go low as my car sits now, or even a bit lower... I want to get some camber. Speaking about camber, what camber plates would fit my B310?

The strut tube length and insert size is the main factor with how low it can go.. You can go this short:

c36020110116172709.jpg

You don't have to lower the car to "get camber". Using adjustable strut tops is the way to go, as lowering alone will only do a little. For better handling you want less camber then stock, so the tops of the tires are in.

• Like 1