Can Someone Measure Datsun 510 width??

I'm thinking of what the best (cheapest) way to get my Datsun 510 from Oregon to San Diego. Thinking of renting a UHAUL truck but I'd like to take some measurements first before I buy a one way ticket up there. I'd like to see if a 71 Datsun 510 4 door will fit inside a UHAUL trailer truck. Keep in mind the side mirrors are missing.

I don't suppose anyone would know how wide a UHAUL trailer truck is as well??

I don't want to send the car on a open trailer because it has bumpers in tact and I don't want to see them stolen. Open 18 wheeler frieght shipping would take up to a week or 2 sometimes and that scares me.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i hauled a VW bug with flared fenders in a u-haul (flat floored one)... keep in mind the flat floored ones are higher in the air.. so even if you get it in, make sure you have a way to get it out.

The 510 as built qualified for a Japanese license plate with a "5" prefix rather than a "3" prefix in the 1970s. The distinction was that a "5" car could not be more than 1.5 meters wide at the widest point, including outside mirrors [so the mirors were put on the fenders, also met the "rear view mirrors must be cleared by the windshiels wipers" reqirement then in force]. Add whatever projection due to your door mounted outside mirrors and you have your answer.

• Like 1

I managed to fit inside a really small storage shed in my flared 510....

I had to take the mirrors off to fit inside,,,, and the flares had 1 inch of clearance on each side....

Only problem: I couldn't open the door,,, , and it was impossible to get out of the car,, , and it was alot harder to drive back out than it was to drive in...

The 510 as built qualified for a Japanese license plate with a "5" prefix rather than a "3" prefix in the 1970s. The distinction was that a "5" car could not be more than 1.5 meters wide at the widest point, including outside mirrors [so the mirors were put on the fenders, also met the "rear view mirrors must be cleared by the windshiels wipers" reqirement then in force]. Add whatever projection due to your door mounted outside mirrors and you have your answer.

I never knew that about the fender mirrors! Thanks for sharing!

I managed to fit inside a really small storage shed in my flared 510....

I had to take the mirrors off to fit inside,,,, and the flares had 1 inch of clearance on each side....

Only problem: I couldn't open the door,,, , and it was impossible to get out of the car,, , and it was alot harder to drive back out than it was to drive in...

How'd you get the storage shed in the 510? ;)

I don't remember.......

It was many years ago......... back when my 510 was white and actually drove places..... .. It hasn't driven anywhere in 3 years, and it hasn't been white for 5 years........ I stop remembering things after six months (or after six o'clock)

• 5 years later...