The History of Lil Hustler

sparkle

Can anyone shed any light on the history of Lil Hustler?

As far as I can read, it was a factory option decal for the informal name of the truck.

Was this just an American option only, or was this also available in Japan and elsewhere?

Any other info would be choice!

Cheers

Sparkle

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I see it "lil hustler" is the proper term for the truck. you know theres chevy blazer, and dodge neon. Well datsun lil hustler is really the proper u.s term. But as you may know in japan they label there cars a little different and usually the name is shown in the vin number I.E eg-6(honda civic hatch), AE86(86 toyota corolla), FD (rx7). Well datsun little hustlers are HLG620. You will never see a lil hustler labeled 620 in japan because that was a u.s market only thing. So basically datsuns are not normal in this aspect. Kinda like how we call 510's 510's instead of bluebirds.

I went to Ebay and did a quick search and found a 1969 Datsun truck advertisement where they called them Lil Hustler. I'm pretty sure it ended in 1979 when they quit making 620's :crying: A sad day in history.

my guess is that it was just an American marketing thimg to make them cute so people would buy them.

Worked for me!

so the sticker was just a factory option in America? I've heard it mentioned before down our way (New Zealand), but not 100% sure if any of our utes were branded it.

Hey Sprak.

Ive seen two, one is still where we left it. Ive only known them as being called Datsun Hustlers here. Although unsure how the hell we got them..all ive see are RHD also.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Devils advocate.

What does the registration say. Lets do a quick survey. State to state and Canada and USA are most likely different. A registration says dodge "neon" and Chevy "blazer" or Chevy k1500? What I am saying is that "Datsun pickup" is the actual name for the vehicle and lil hustler is a dealer or factory marketing term.

A d21 doesn't say Nissan d21 or Nissan hustler it says Nissan pickup. On the reg here anyway. The Datsun says Datsun pickup. I've plated 520s 521s 620s 720s and they always are called Datsun or Nissan pickup. That's the official make model just like dodge neon is on its reg.

It is not factory in my opinion. An ad is an AD and what that is is a marketing campaign for "lil hustler or hustler". Think of it closer to a slogan.

When you go to the parts dept. be it a napa or Nissan it comes up as Nissan/Datsun 620,521, d21 etc. because that's the body style code. Because if you went and said I have a pathfinder for example it could be confusing.

I can be wrong. But show me a plate registration, factory service manual, owners manual, or warranty booklet with a Datsun lil hustler or Nissan hustler. What it's plated as and or looked up as parts wise or Nissan service wise is what I think your truck is.

Radio

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Yes, the name of the truck is "Datsun Pickup".

The model of the truck is

* Datsun model series 521 (1968-1972 model years)

* Datsun model series 620 (1972-1979 model years)

* Datsun model series 720 (1980-1986 model years, 1983-1986 were rebranded Nissan 720)

Li'l Hustler was official and was branding applied to the Datsun Pickup by Nissan Motor Corporation in U.S.A..

th_100_2341.jpg

Long bed (five-hooker) "Li'l Hustler Stretch"

th_IMAGE_004.jpg th_Picture279.jpg

Short bed (four-hooker) "Li'l Hustler Standard"

th_LilHustler4.jpg

King Cab

76kc-2a.jpg

Variation

100_1712.jpg

• Like 4

No special equipment indicated a Li'l Hustler.

Not even a tape stripe package.

B31423.jpg

B31483.jpg

pizzazzy.jpg

ALTHOUGH, Datsun marketing in their infinite wisdom came up with something called the "Li'l Hustler Package" which was a dealer add-on package

4081372495_aebd24ddbe_z.jpg

* Walnut or vinyl shift knob

* AMCO Console

* Side steps

* Exhaust chrome tip

* "Li'l Hustler" Stripes

* Front bumper guard

• Like 3

Datsun 521 "Li'l Hustler" branding began by November 1969

1970-lil-hustler.jpg

datsun+lil+hustler+1971.jpg

Datsun 620 "Li'l Hustler"

Datsun 720 "Li'l Hustler"

Datsun 720 Trail Hustler

32460540001_original.jpg

Tim Deese designed, engineered and manufactured the first years production under contract with Nissan Motor Company. Tim manufactured these vehicles in Jacksonville, Florida and Anaheim, California where the chassis were drop shipped and the truck was then built and shipped on to the dealers. The truck made its debut in the ’83 New Car and Truck showing and was ordered from the Nissan truck book for 1984 production. On the dash of those initial Trail Hustlers, which in ’84 became the Pathfinder, was embossed "Tim Deese Production".

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I have seen the "lil hustler" logo on a 521 before back in the 80's. in fact I may put it on grimace once I get it painted plum crazy purple, but I if I do it will be in a stainless steel color to match the bed hooks and different touchup areas that I use that color and then clearcoat it afterwards so it won't fade out. any thoughts about it

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

No special equipment indicated a Li'l Hustler.

Not even a tape stripe package.

B31423.jpg

B31483.jpg

pizzazzy.jpg

ALTHOUGH, Datsun marketing in their infinite wisdom came up with something called the "Li'l Hustler Package" which was a dealer add-on package

i love the research , anyone got more ????

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...