mklotz70 1969 wgn

mklotz70

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll just deal with the irritation and delay....

After bending the backing plate and not having any luck with heating everything up to get the bearing and retainer off....I found it was much easier to simply cut the off! I used the cut off wheel. I carefully cut into the retainer, leaving about .010" left so that I didn't actually cut into the axle. Then, I took a big cold chisel(not the air chisel in the pic) and put it in the valley of the cut. One good whack and the .010" of metal gave way and let it slide off. I did the same for the bearing. I actually cut the outer race in two places. I couldn't quite get up to the edge because of the backing plate, but I cut what I could, then split it with the chisel.

100_2827.jpg

100_2828.jpg

100_2829.jpg

Make sure you don't mess up these pieces...

100_2841.jpg

100_2842.jpg

Bearing's just a wee bit small (about .080") to fit :(

100_2847.jpg

I was going to pull the spare rearend's axles, but figured I better to a test fit of the brake drums....nope...don't fit. They still have the extra lip on the backing plate so the fins won't let it seat. The backing plates are in perfect shape, so I don't want to mess them up for this. I'll straighten the one I bent and clean them up. I'll leave the spare rear end in one piece for now.

100_2834.jpg

World pack has them in stock in Redmond Wa.Part #42355-H1000 5 door wagon bearing retainer.Don't know if you know any one who buys from them. If you get in a bind let me know I can order them and send them to you.

Interesting....that looks like a stock part number. The dealer here could get them for me by saturday, but they wanted about $20ea. I have them coming from RA for less than $5ea. Any idea how much the World Pack ones are? Thanks for the offer!!! I think it will work out, just not anywhere near as fast as I wanted it to.

Mike. I like the pic with the sparks flying :cool:

When I was actually cutting, they were flying a lot more than that....that was left handed just for effect :)

I'm thinking I may just machine my own bearing retainers if I can get the correct bearings tomorrow! About how much should I undersize the ID of the retainer to make a strong press fit?

The backing plates have to be trimmed to make the Z car finned drums fit. When I did that I had very little in the way of tools.. Over 4 years ago!

I hadn't really noticed they were trimmed...just thought they were beat up....until I put them on the other rearend. I'll clean them up a bit. I'd love to powder coat them, but that's just not in the cards right now.

The second axle may have popped on the press, I didn't even bother trying. I did all this on my first wgn and didn't mind it as much....I had a lot more love for that wgn...it was my first and a automatic....I'm sure I'll be much happier with this one once I get this rear end done and can drive it daily :) I just can't take too much time away from Mend.

I'll probably put the pics up a bit later.

It dawned on me that I could simply use the spare rearend's axles if the bearings were good and just settle for the steel drums. I pulled the axles...yep...bearins seem really good. Turns out that the outer flange is different on each rear end. So, the backing plates have to stay with the housing. I thought about swapping the entire housing, but didn't. I could put the used stuff in, but I know I wouldn't feel as confident about the rear end unless it had the new parts. So, rather than do this all twice, I'm just going to wait...as hard as that will be!!! :(

I went to pick up the bearings from Knecht's. Turned out that one of the boxes had the retainer in it...the other was supposed to, but didn't. I'll have the other bearing monday. I'll put the Rockauto stuff on the shelf for spares when it comes in. Or, I may rebuild the spare rear end at some point. Just a note...these were $43 each...I got all seals, bearings, retainers, (most likely an extra set of retainers) from Rockauto for $63 shipped. I end up buying all of it....that's how I end up with "new in the box" spare parts laying all over the place. I use the first set that comes in, the second is on order at the same time as a backup in case there's a snafu with the first parts. I don't want to end up finding out monday that it's actually the wrong bearing and then putting in a RA order. It's definitely a waste of money sometimes, but I'm also covered this way in case the RA order comes in with the wrong stuff. So, the first day I knew I needed the bearings I called Knecht's and placed an order with RA. Got the wrong ones at Knecht's, had to wait another day for the right ones...didn't get both...have to wait two more days....meanwhile, my seals came in from RA and the other parts will be here wed. Anyway......I hate waiting for parts. When I have a few extra bucks, I try to buy up some great deals on parts that end up in a box until I need them. More often than not, I forget I have them and go buy new ones anyway :( Read the siggy!

100_2882.jpg

I figured I'd work on the backing plates a bit by cleaning up the excess lip and then disassembling them for cleaning.

100_2887.jpg

100_2888.jpg

100_2890.jpg

100_2891.jpg

100_2893.jpg

100_2894.jpg

...couple of reference pics...

100_2895.jpg

100_2896.jpg

For those of you that have not been into your brakes....this is what the adjuster looks like. The threaded piece you turn has a squared cone on the other end. As you turn it in, the cone pushes the plungers apart. You feel a bump as you turn it because of the flat spots on the cone. You want to leave it on a flat spot at the end of your adjustment...the spring pressure on the shoes will hold the adjustment screw in place that way. These are very simple pieces, so if yours are stuck or won't turn, you simply take them apart, clean, re-assemble with a small amount of anti-seize or a thin coat of high temp bearing grease. You don't want so much on there that it might drip off when warm. Anyway.....

100_2898.jpg

100_2899.jpg

This is how much I bent the backing plate trying to press the bearing off :( I should be able straighten it out.....I kinda have to since the other backing plates are different. Both plates went into the parts cleaner for the night.

100_2904.jpg

100_2905.jpg

I did get the correct bearing from Knecht's yesterday, but the dang TC took up way too much time! I got the driveline bolts while I was at the s/y. I just need to clean/straighten the backing plates and start installing everything...oh...I still have to swap the spider gears.

I'm planning on getting this done or most done tonight after work.........SO I CAN DRIVE IT!!!! :)

• Like 1

Mike, just wanted to say what an inspiration you are for me and many of us. You've updated three threads, juggling how many things in your head? And I can barely update one thread.

Know you are appreciated dude!

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I appreciate you saying that :) You're more than welcome!

To put that in a bit better perspective...... I don't have a job that requires anything of me out side of work. I don't have young kids or a family that's into going and doing things. They're all homebodies. We don't give two hoots about a nice yard or washing the cars. When I'm home, I pretty much have all my time for what I want. I'd have more if I didn't spend it on the internet, but I enjoy that more than greasy work!! :)

The only downside I can see Mike would be the limited amount of money you have and it might be lonely in your shop with all those tools but I think with al those tools I could tinker hours and hours away and become a shop hermit! :lol:

Never enough money, but I can't complain too much...I'm doing better there than a lot of guys right now.

The tinkering part is definitely an upside. My prob is I really can't stand doing the dirty repair/dis-assemble part of working on cars. I much prefer the build/install part of it. Speaking of which....I should try to get into the shop this morning and get the backing plates cleaned up!! They're still in the cleaning tank.

The biggest problem with my life is me. I've very misanthropic(thanks Carl!) and tend to see the negative side of nearly everything. I need to change my outlook or get a lobotomy! :)

If I get the lobotomy, I can go into management and make even more money!! :)

Got the parts from Rockauto. Geez....I really thought I'd have the wgn on the road by now :( I did get the backing plates cleaned up, blasted, tack welded for reinforcement, painted. Maybe tonight I can get everything put back together...maybe even get the gear swap done on the diff.

100_2973.jpg

100_2974.jpg

100_2975.jpg

I'm pathetic!! It's been a week and I still don't have the rear end back together! :( I have made small advancements. I should be able to finish up tomorrow, but here's what I've got so far.

First up...I picked up the freeze plugs. The smaller, more expensive plug is for the hole in the back of the head(on the L20b, not me!) It's 25mm(1"). The other is a 40mm which should fit the holes in the block, but I got it to plug the tranny yoke thanks to a previous recommendation.

100_2978.jpg

When you put the arm through the hole, then the rubber....don't wait to put the rubber on until after you're done with mounting the slave or you'll have to take it back apart like I did :(

100_2983.jpg

Since the slave actually slides fore/aft some, it's a good idea to put a bit of high temp grease on the contact surfaces. You can use wheel bearing grease, I went with some Amsoil stuff I had.

100_2979.jpg

100_2980.jpg

100_2981.jpg

I took a pic of the sedan assembly....the wgn has one less clip holding it.

100_2982.jpg

Once the clips are on, you can pull the rubber over the slave cyl and call it good.

100_2984.jpg

How the adjuster looks before the parts cleaning tank and the bead blaster.

100_2985.jpg