The Mission's 1972 240z SR20DET Build

Thanks! - It's been a long journey and I'm feeling so much better with it after getting the new turbo on and getting in dropped.

I finished the drop today and tried to bleed the brakes, but kept draining the mc resevoirs and had a hard time getting it bled right. I'll get it next time and bring a bigger bottle of fluid. I almost need three people to do it right.

Unfortunately, after I tried to turn the front wheels, the lower valance on the front rubbed the front tires, so I lost a lot of time trimming that down. I also had huge toe in issues on the front wheels and had to adjust the toe on the right wheel.

I took it up the street, turned around, and back into the garage, as the pedal firmness gave out on me for the brakes and it started to smell hot (looks like the new turbo is just heating up and the smell was just seals/the paint on it browning out.)

Then I was out of time and had to bring the kid home to sleep. Darn. It's getting really close to being able to bring out, it's just the few last issues to hammer out.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked into that as well. I like the MS setup as it's a quick change to MAP tuning (which I really want to run... I hate MAFs), built in boost control if I want to run it, I dig the software a bit more, (tunerstudio and megalog are sweet packages) and the support online is extensive and always innovating with software updates and tweaks.

I first wanted to run the AEM V2, as it's tuned here locally all over the place, but looking at the tunerstudio software, any tuner should be able to handle the tables and settings without blinking.

I'm longing for the day to get rid of the MAF sensor, Recirculating BOV, and all that piping.

I've ordered the brackets for the maxima rear caliper swap, now I just need to hit the yards to find me 4 rear maxima calipers from an 85-86 to rebuild. The rotors are cheap online, but the calipers get spendy (They range from 70+ a piece online). After that it's finding a good local machine shop to help me contruct the two caliper bracket.

I'll hopefully get some pics out on Friday of the drop, but I have to bleed the brakes again and get it right this time. If I can get everything worked out friday, I may try to bring it to Portland C&C this or next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Got brake issues to hammer out now, but ordered the one inch wilwood to be able to run the toyotas up front and maximas in the rear... Once I get that in, I should be good to go to drive around...

Took some great pics today of the look now... (Some Artsy Shots Too)

2012-04-07_16-24-24_827.jpg

2012-04-07_16-28-06_884.jpg

2012-04-07_16-27-20_267.jpg

2012-04-07_16-30-03_891.jpg

2012-04-07_16-27-20_267-1.jpg

• Like 1

My end goal is around 300-325, but I'm still waiting on ECU and Injectors to make the jump. I'm really on the fence regarding whether to try to go risky and take on the Megasquirt PNP v2 for the SR20DET, or just run the AEM V2 PNP. I can save a ton of cash running the Megasquirt, but the AEM is more proven and every shop locally will tune on it. All I know is I want to get rid of the MAF, get my BOV to open dump and start turning up the boost on the new turbo.

Right now I'm prototyping the dual caliper bracket out of plastic, as it's quick and easy to cut and machine. Once I get that all checked out, I'll have it made it Aluminum and then get back to work on the engine stuff.

Right now I'm prototyping the dual caliper bracket out of plastic, as it's quick and easy to cut and machine. Once I get that all checked out, I'll have it made it Aluminum and then get back to work on the engine stuff.

Let me know about this, if my plan doesnt fall through yours may be an alternative rout, are they going to be for the 86 maxima calipers?.

Well, decent speedbump today as the wilwood one inch m/s leaked horribly due to one of the adapters being out of spec. The good news is that it allowed me to adjust the rod on the booster, so my brake pedal feels much better. Now I have to wait until a new adapter can get to me and bleed my brakes for the 50th time...

It'll be nice to hopefully hit up the ratsun meets here soon.

Well, have the fitting being shipped to get my wilwood master cylinder back up and running and have finished my prototype for the dual caliper rear bracket on the back.

I'll have one caliper set up with my standard braking system and another for my hydraulic hand brake.

I don't need it yet, but it's a fun project anyways. Turns out the guy I bought the Z from owns a machine shop and has the ability to machine me up in aluminum my brackets, so if my prototype fits nice, I know I've got my measurements sound and can have it made!

Here's a pic of my prototype... I used plastic, as it's quick and easy to cut, machine up, and prototype with.

photobucket-1596-1334531732188.jpg

congrats bro, cant wait to see it in magazines

It'd be nice. I'd still want to do some suspension work and get the ZCC Spoiler on the back prior to doing anything like that...

I blew out my brake booster yesterday though... oops.

I think it was the heat from the manifold that was too much for the booster sitting so close... It was the original booster, so it probably needed replacement soon anyways. Time to add a heat shield.

Here's some really nifty pics from the TrackForged BBQ.

1410e03c.jpg

e074bf9a.jpg

f6c6c30e.jpg

It'd be nice. I'd still want to do some suspension work and get the ZCC Spoiler on the back prior to doing anything like that...

I blew out my brake booster yesterday though... oops.

I think it was the heat from the manifold that was too much for the booster sitting so close... It was the original booster, so it probably needed replacement soon anyways. Time to add a heat shield.

Here's some really nifty pics from the TrackForged BBQ.

1410e03c.jpg

e074bf9a.jpg

f6c6c30e.jpg

Looks great! I just did the Wilwood MC swap and I upgraded to a 8.5 inch 280z brake booster. I havent gotten it on the road yet because I'm doing coilovers, but it was pretty easy and HBZ has a great article on the conversion.

• 2 weeks later...

I've already upgraded to the one inch wilwood M/C, but I may pop a later booster on to get easier pedal feel. I'm planning on just running a simple aluminum heat shield in the near future to protect it from possible failure down the road.

I've got a kid coming soon, so projects are a bit on hold, but there is still a lot more in store...

damn that paints nice, I'd really like this car if it had some louvers and the victory ducktail, but its not my car, that color looks like ford grabber blue, which is what I wanted to paint my z but went with volvo red and black.

• 3 weeks later...

Had another little kid, so I'm in kid mode lately, but still doing little things here or there and hitting up some meets. I'm switching to a 4.11 final drive and working on a front splitter setup as well as still plugging away on the rear brake mods, but it's taken a hit schedule wise as sleep is a priority now.

For the time being, just updates of pics and events.

Got a Decent shot of the Engine taken...

ec70a278.jpg

and a wider shot of what she looks like now...

fa5de101.jpg

A 4.11 rear is on it's way from California! Next week I'll get it in. The original final drive on a SR20 is near that, so I believe it'll help me a bit, as I've been having to overrev a bit to get it going up hills and such with the original 3.5ish setup.

I've been working on adding a splitter to the front. I'm waiting on the support rods, but it turned out pretty decently.

photobucket-14507-1338002246910.jpg

photobucket-18668-1338002260118.jpg