• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks man :D

some more progress;

was about to get into doing rear main, checked bearings and they were alright but found a set was worth 50 clams so thought id wait and get some of them while i'm at it. a delay but new bearings, and new rear main that i hope wont leak anymore :( was set to get most of it done tonight, but when refitting the little plate behind the cam pulley i snapped one of the three bolts :( was a stupid mistake, i was tightening for far too long waiting for it to bite (really didnt want things leaking behind), it felt loose cos the bolt was literally stretching outward, shoulda known better. that cut my night short, i didnt have the tools on hand to remove so ill do it tomoz. olddatsuns.com to the rescue for torque settings ;) excellent work whoever knocked that up, saved me gooood

15-04bearings.jpg

15-04rearmain.jpg

on the upside i was lookin about for the last two days for tub lining stuff and ended up getting some cool shit. cant get plastic ones for mine (wouldnt want em anyway) and herculiner and another product pitbull or something was available but stupid expensive (299+ to DIY, 500+ and a day for them to do it for me). i found rustoleum's kit in a place not so far from my house for 139, and also found raptor in the same place which was a touch more expensive at 175. some quick research to find that quite a lot of jeep and F series guys found they were both pretty good, raptor being a bit less coarse which suits me better, so i went with that :D easier to clean and i dont really care for grip, just want something stronger than auto paint and will hopefully help with sealing the bed to help with rust

15-04tubstuff1.jpg

cant wait to get it on, ive seen a couple 620/520's with their tubs lined and i reckon looks awesome

more progress from last couple of days;

have only been doing a few bits to the tub, nothing major other than chopping into the front of it to find quite a lot of rust. looks like they used bathroom sealant to seal the back of the tub, which must have trapped moisture cos its rusted out all around it. all removed now though, got a little more to remove before i can fix though. the plan is to make a new section from some sheet i got, weld it in and then do the panel replacement over the top

18-04tubrust1.jpg

did i dun put it on backwerdz?

18-04duhurr.jpg

ive been avoiding working on the tub by working on the engine and box :( crank is back in, new bearings are in, rear main looks alright now, sump is back on, now full of fresh oil, clutch and flywheel are back on too, i turned a quick alignment tool that did the trick;

19-04clutchalign1.jpg

box is back on, i snapped the breather when removing it so i turned another one to fix;

18-04breather1.jpg

18-04breather2.jpg

radiator had lots of leaks innit thanks to the bolts i used to hold down my thermo, pinched two tubes and made some holes. i tested em today, pulled fins out around the area (they were busted on one side anyway) isolated leaks, then araldited (epoxy) the shit out of em. no more leaks! :D so radiator is back in and full, thermo is back in and wired and hopefully no more random drips in the face when im under it. enginebay is back to normal now, lookin cleaner from the underside anyway

19-04under1.jpg

heres one of the other two surviving bolts behind the cam pulley i overtorqued, reasonably impressed that it stretched like that for as long as it did

16-04boltoops.jpg

tomoz getting into the tub, hopefully have some of the rust fixed up and maybe the top rails treated and primed, ready for some more action later

spent some time on the tub today for a change;

got the hammers and sharpened some screwdrivers (didnt have any chisels :() and got hammerin away seperating some spot welds and removing that lump of rust from the front of my tub, ive since treated whats left, ill cut it back again roughly and treat again before priming to keep it happy for a while i think

20-04tubrust5.jpg

i made the new section to replace the one i cut out from some 2mm sheet i had, wasnt long enough so gotta lengthen it a touch, then cut out some more edges so it fits flush, get the surface rust out of it then get it in where it belongs

20-04fresh1.jpg

these bits i still gotta tackle, fresh sheet for the holes, the rest im cutting back and treating then putting the tub liner over the top

20-04tubrust1.jpg

20-04tubrust2.jpg

20-04tubrust3.jpg

20-04tubrust4.jpg

i welded up the seams at the back of the tub just next to the tailgate too, needs cutting back to see what i missed then some more welding which ill probs do tomoz

20-04seam1.jpg

heres a quick pic of what im doing to whats left of the headache bar. ive since cut off the extra bits below either end and filled it to help seal the tub for later

20-04toprail.jpg

i was lookin at fontanas build and saw his reversed tailgate latches... mine dont really work anymore and i reckon looks great when its behind the tailgate so thinkin about doing it myself. not needed for RWC at the mo though so maybe later

not heaps of progress last few days, had some other things to do

went for a spin round to the previous owners house after he told me he had an original dash in great condition, which would otherwise have been impossible for me to find over here so i got some of that :D my current one is busted up pretty good, this one isnt perfect but its uncracked on top and the glovebox hinge isnt busted!

22-04dasssh1.jpg

got a nice datsun badge with it too, its currently my desktop :D wasnt planning on having badges but this one is cool, so might have it on there someday. if anyone wants full res of this, just say

datsunbg1.jpg

ive been itchin to get onto the cab since i got that dash :( need to pay attention to tub first, so i have a little. i finished making that replacement panel, trimmed it up so it fit nice, then primed the bits i wouldnt be able to reach once fitted, then fitted it up with some G clamps, then plug welded to support like it is from factory (although they spot welded it, obviously)

23-04replacement1.jpg

23-04replacement2.jpg

23-04replacement3.jpg

needs a little more primer, the bed needs some grinding back, then the panel above it needs a bit of cleaning up, then ill cut out replacement sheet for it, tack it in place and hopefully weld it in properly by end of tomoz. with that one and primed i can put the tub on the right way

long weekend this weekend :D so provided i dont get up to anything else im hoping to get the tub repaired completely and stripped back at least, maybe get to re-lining it but mainly aiming for it to be ready for relining for tuesday

ran outa welding gas :( getting more is going to be a big ask this weekend, no more E bottles from the place i get mine from and most other places are closed

i did get a few things done today though;

finished welding in the new support for the tub

cut back the welding i did earlier and trimmed the top end of the bed

made a new panel to go in front of the support i replaced, trimmed it and fitted it

began welding it up, its in there nicely for now just needs to be stitched in then cut back

24-04progress1.jpg

24-04progress2.jpg

24-04progress3.jpg

24-04progress4.jpg

thanks man :D gettin there

more updates;

was lucky and got some more gas for my MIG, i swung in and they sold me a 2/3 full E bottle they had hooked to a hire 220A MIG. funny story while i was there they were stressed as, they got a call while i was being helped, one of the wheels on the trailer for one of their hire rotary hoes had fallen off whilst driving :\ they mentioned something about having to cover the costs of where the wheel ended up, and something about it damaging a house!

so with my fresh gas i didnt think id get, i got to finish welding in the fresh panel sorta, most of its done and cut back just needs a little more welding and some finishing in the corners. far from a perfect job (panel is wobbly) but i sorta like it better that way :D hope to finish that little bit of welding tomoz so i can prime it. ill tend to the other holes in the bodywork too

26-04nearly.jpg

after that i gave 3/4 of the top rails a finish up and a prime, lookin alright

25-04railprimed.jpg

i got into stripping the tub tonight too, looks like im gunna run out by the end of tomorrow so i guess it wont be ready for lining for a bit longer. not a lot of fun stripping the tub, i must say :( slowly getting there though, pretty sure ill get another 4L of the stuff on tuesday as using this sparingly doesnt really do the trick. pretty good shit though when it works, i even had it eating through body filler at one stage (cant figure out why they bondo'd the wheel tubs, they're not rusted out underneath and are reasonably straight)

26-04strip1.jpg

26-04strip2.jpg

26-04strip3.jpg

on the topic of paint strippers, if there are any australians reading :D in vic theres a place called advance chemicals, in altona. they make all their stuff themselves and sell alternatives to all sorts of hectic brand chemicals. degreasers, pool chemicals, washing liquids, lubricants, general household spirits etc. i found some paint stripper they had for 10 clams a L, works better than the stuff ive got above which was nearly 30 clams for a L :( im going back and getting a 4L tub for the same price as 1L of branded stuff

been tearin it today

more welding for that fresh big panel i put in, just needs a light cutback and it'll be good, the gap between the bed and the vertical panel (that isnt sealed from factory, so water gets through and rusts out everything underneath) has been welded up. hodgey spodge job but wont look so bad when liner is in i think. the gap was previously filled with silicone sealant which didnt help the rust situation at all, all gone now - replaced with steeeel

26-04seam.jpg

also paid some attention to the rusted out bits along the front corners, some fresh steel in there now just need to cut welds back tomoz so its all smoooth

26-04prtub1.jpg

26-04prtub2.jpg

26-04prtub3.jpg

26-04prtub4.jpg

26-04prtub5.jpg

got into some more bed stripping too, ran out though so didnt get that much done;

26-04strip.jpg

once the bulk is cut back with scrapers, ive found wire brushes to be awesome at getting the last annoying thin strips in corners and on the sides of the bed rails. as long as the paint is softened with stripper, they do awesome. need to clear the brush a fair bit though but thats as easy as brushing the bed where i havent stripped yet and it all flicks off. safety glasses are useful here, i cant imagine paint stripper in the eye as being particularly comfortable

tomorrow hoping to get the last of the front of the tub cut back and smooth, so i can prime it then take the bed off and put it around the right way again

keepin on keepin on;

today cleaned up welds for the fresh bits ive welded in, not close to perfect but will do for now. primed it toooo

27-04frontdone.jpg

i got into some more stripping, front half is nearly done. needs some power tool action now i think, there isnt much left so should do alright that way. i gossome more stripper too, this is the stuff ive been using

27-04stripper.jpg

also paid some attention to the tailshaft, the rubber bit for the center bearing is cracked in two places. i went round to a tailshaft place 10 or so km away, and was quoted $315 for him to replace the rubber bit and balance it. i get it that he was going to replace the bearing, but given my one is actually alright i refused and said i was gunna fix it myself. well... sorta :D tonight i araldited the cracks back together, and am going to coat it liberally in some dirt and hope RWC wont pick it up :huh:

also tended to the fuel tank which had some fair cracks in it, aradited those up too (good shit that araldite :lol:) ill get some paint tomoz for it, its looking a bit sad since ive cleaned the grease and dirt off it

the tub is now off the ute too, im planning on cutting out the bit on the chassis that i mentioned earlier was rusted out, and ill ring around see if i can find anywhere that has a diff center im after. my one isnt in the best shape :( will keep it in for how if i have to. i might get around to refitting tailshaft and fuel tank tomorrow depending how things pan out, havent started it since its fresh bearings and rear main

thanks :D i wish i could leave the rust, all except the cab mounts though, the whole cab seems to have dropped so the bulletside doesnt line up with the bed... gotta fix that. the road authority here doesnt like any rust of any sort :(

i dunno about colour, reasonably sure ill keep it white but go for a matte white instead. will see i spose

a little more progress;

while the tub was off i painted and reinstalled the fuel tank;

28-04tankb.jpg

28-04tanka.jpg

28-04together.jpg

my idea with the carrier bearing rubber repair worked alright, until i fitted the tailshaft again... its cracked all about the place :( hopefully RWC wont care. i paid rego on it today :D 600ish clams later :( i can pick up some cranes now without worrying about getting pulled over so not all bad

im gunna order some bits tomoz, might even get to take it for a spin around the block now that most of its back together

thanks :D gettin there slowly. its not that hard to do (if i can do it anyone can), getting the tools is a bit of a hurdle but after that just gotta get some practise in until you reckon you can have an alright go of it. most the stuff ive done so far isnt close to perfect, functional though :D

today didnt get up to a lot, had to wait until tonight for help with getting the tub back on. in the mean time i made these;

29-04tubbolts1.jpg

29-04tubbolts2.jpg

29-04tubbolts3.jpg

29-04tubbolts4.jpg

as mentioned earlier i had about half of the bolts i should've had to bolt the tub to the chassis, they were mismatched too so i copied the factory idea and made fresh ones to go in. other than that the tub is on the right way, and i ordered shackle bushes today too, should be in tomoz

the bit on the chassis id planned to cut out and repair wasnt really accessible without pulling the cab first (sorta want a nice clean cut to make it easier for a nicer looking repair) so will wait till later

depending how stuff goes tomoz, ill try get the car together and moving again

more progress, sorta

tubs bolted down nicely (LOTS easier than what it used to be, long free spinning bolts were a prick to remove), i filled the gearbox ready to go, and put other useful bits on like tail lights etc so i could take it for a spin last night but didnt have an empty jerry can to get some fuel innit

so did that today, fired up after some persuasion and now since ive got valve tolerances back down to 0.35mm its running great :cool: lots quieter than it was (previous tolerances would have been over 0.50mm at a guess). exhaust needs a little work i think but will pass RWC :D radiator seems to have fixed itself magically and doesnt drip anymore, rear main isnt leaking either which is great, all good so far

i took it for a bigger spin today to help put in a mates stez, found some issues with it. not big ones really but gotta sort em out;

it smokes a bit on cold start, fine after that, fine on part throttle and low revs, fine at WOT i think but when i get to high revs it smokes. when im in traffic for a bit and move off at an average sorta revs it smokes a bit too

im guessing valve stem seals, sounds much like those but when i hit the shop manual for some answers, it didnt detail em. just had a diagram with what they simply called a 'ribber ring' and mentioned it was on the intake valves only :\ i got a full seal kit for the engine as well, but didnt come with anything that looks like what ive installed before (valve stem seal wise) just a bunch of o rings. gotta suss that action. if i cant fix it i'll get into L series earlier than planned, no big deal really

i got some pics too in places other than my garage;

02-05spin1.jpg

02-05spin2.jpg

tomoz im hitting a wrecker for some cool calipers for another car ive got, then i think swinging over and picking up crane number one :thumbup:

made the trip from my house to gisborne :D about 100k's round trip mostly highway

ute didnt like it much :( i dont have a temp guage so cant tell if its overheating, but pulled up on the way home to check oil level cos it was smoking a fair bit when i was at decent speed (on and off though, was weird). opened the bonnet to be greeted by dried dirty water all over my engine, oil up and down my carb, and water boiling in my rad. pretty sure oil was cos of a loose breather hose though so maybe not so bad. the water leak was from the rad cap im quite sure, the radiator leak is back i think and causing it to overheat pretty bad, the cap has gone spaz and spewed shit all over the place. the rad hadnt lost that much water though strangely enough. the amount that ended up on the engine obviously but it still held its level fine that aside. J15 still soldiered on like a champ though, tufffffff

03-05gisborne1.jpg

03-05gisborne2.jpg

on the way home saw lots of police :( was worried about getting pulled up for a chat but as i got closer they were at a pretty serious accident (blocked off 1.5km of road) so had better things to do than hassle me, lucky heh

so im gunna hit a radiator place tomoz see what they've got that i can adapt, chances of them having a 620 rad are none :D pretty sure at this point that its just the radiator pressure loss causing my dramas, maybe coupled with the fact its pretty blocked (filthy inside there, despite flushing it with a hose several times)

going to test thermostat too see if thats anything to do with dramas. also dropping into to parts place see if they have anything in the way of valve stem seals, ill get them in and replaced if this fandangled J engine contraption actually has em!

the trip to gisborne means im halfway to pulling the cab, ive got another 70ish km round trip to go get the other one, ill use that trip as a test see if a new rad fixes my dramas :) hopefully, im starting to like the J... still want an L but J not so bad hey

they do :D

more progress, valve stems seals were easy until i got to cylinder 3. valve guide is worn pretty good, so began pulling the head tonight, will get the crane out tomoz to pull it, ill strip it then send it away to a machine shop to get the guides replaced and head faced ready to reinstall

also sussed a new radiator, everything here is discontinued stock so couldnt get a new one. swung by a radiator repair place, he's gunna relocate some outlets on the end tanks of a rad from a corona for 80-100 clams, need to wait till end of the week though

wishing i could just drop in the fresh L series ive got on an engine stand, engineers say no though :( someday

• Like 1

they do :D

more progress, valve stems seals were easy until i got to cylinder 3. valve guide is worn pretty good, so began pulling the head tonight, will get the crane out tomoz to pull it, ill strip it then send it away to a machine shop to get the guides replaced and head faced ready to reinstall

also sussed a new radiator, everything here is discontinued stock so couldnt get a new one. swung by a radiator repair place, he's gunna relocate some outlets on the end tanks of a rad from a corona for 80-100 clams, need to wait till end of the week though

wishing i could just drop in the fresh L series ive got on an engine stand, engineers say no though :( someday

um it can be done all 620s here state side came with an l series

i know :) just doin the swap here means i need it engineered so im allowed to register it, which is 500 clams by itself :( i thought maybe id get away with an L16 without engineering, but its harder than that i think

no problems doing it in future, just for now i gotta get it going and legal - fun and games later :)

wont be able to get through much until friday

sorta, anyone can do the conversion, but thanks to increasing government bureaucratic bullshit, they're trying to make every single modification you could think to do, go through an inspection before you can register a vehicle. at the moment they're up to engine conversions, wheels, brakes, they tried ride height changes a while back and failed (they'll no doubt try again), all of these need to go to a consulting engineer, and its lots of money for them to look at something and write some bits down so you can go back to road authority and tell them to register your damn car already

engines used to be 15 or 25% increase in displacement, non turbo could get by without engineering, now its any engine conversion so far as i know :(

sorta, anyone can do the conversion, but thanks to increasing government bureaucratic bullshit, they're trying to make every single modification you could think to do, go through an inspection before you can register a vehicle. at the moment they're up to engine conversions, wheels, brakes, they tried ride height changes a while back and failed (they'll no doubt try again), all of these need to go to a consulting engineer, and its lots of money for them to look at something and write some bits down so you can go back to road authority and tell them to register your damn car already

engines used to be 15 or 25% increase in displacement, non turbo could get by without engineering, now its any engine conversion so far as i know sad.gif

Holy moly Gary! Sorry to hear this. You guys need your guns back, mate!