chrome vent turnsignal leds

oregondime

alright so i had been throwing this idea around for a while, and i finally had an open weekend to rip my hair out playing with resistors and solder.. god i hate resistors.. but anyway i figured someone else might like to do this too.

its a chrome vent butchered to make a sweet concealed turn signal, great for those dimes with no side lights..

supplies

-resistors

-leds

-solder and gun

-black rtv

-pc board

-patience and the other parts are obvious

go here for an led array wizard http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

chromeventledmod004.jpg

my rustic soldering skills

chromeventledmod009.jpg

the lights actually working! (i wired em in parallel, got mad at series setup)

chromeventledmod007.jpg

the *gasp* cut up chrome vent

chromeventledmod006.jpg

yes i used that air cutoff wheel, overkill rocks!

and the rtv is still drying so ill post pics of it inside the vent in a couple hours and in the car when i get it wired into the turn signal.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a scanner style would be sweet. as of right now i just have em hooked up to the turn signals, but when i get some more time and the other side done, im gonna redo it so itll be on with the running lights and maybe a custom switch to light all my fun leds in the car.. then onto the front turn signals and the dome light, full redo of tail lights, and possibly some floorboard lighting.

sure no problem i have a couple of close ups of the back of the board. also the diagram i made for myself, although im no good at series i found out. kept going dim so every 4 is powered by itself then all 4 sections are connected at the crimped end.

heres my diagram (its a superflux so it has 2 more connections)

chromeventledmod013.jpg

chromeventledmod008.jpg

chromeventledmod003.jpg

and heres a good example of some led' taillights

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21676

basically just resistor before positive, then neg to pos to neg to pos and the last neg to ground.

... although im no good at series i found out.

... neg to pos to neg to pos and the last neg to ground.

that is a 'series' connection. parallel would be with all the pos together and all the neg together.

looks good either way.

too cool.

I know a guy who made a bunch of those and stuck them behind the stock 240Z tail light lenses.

that 240z's tails is my goal for mine, sooo sweet lookin.

that is a 'series' connection. parallel would be with all the pos together and all the neg together.

looks good either way.

yea hang510, now that i look at what you quoted me, it was series :) but i guess what i was trying to say i couldnt piggy back one set of 4ea series plus resistor to then next 4ea series resistor. they were very dim, maybe to much resistance i dunno.. at least at works! (for now)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice, I like the lights...

And yeah, I'm considering doing a similar thing with my truck... I want to hide the front marker lights/turn signals behind the grille, or maybe just have them flush mounted in the existing position... nice little write-up though. Do you happen to know if the lamp (or assembly) resistance affects the turn indicator speed on Datsuns, or does it not make a difference? On my Ford I've gotta watch the resistances, else my turn signals/brake lights won't work...

From what I've seen, since this mod was for additional side repeaters they won't effect the flash rate. However, where you are replacing the standard lights with LED then you do need to watch the resestance. I've heard you can get new flasher units that aren't effected by LED, haven't seen them myself yet though.

From what I've seen, since this mod was for additional side repeaters they won't effect the flash rate. However, where you are replacing the standard lights with LED then you do need to watch the resestance. I've heard you can get new flasher units that aren't effected by LED, haven't seen them myself yet though.

Interesting, I haven't heard of those... Then again, I do kinda like the idea of being able to control how fast the indicators... indicate... by changing the resistance. I've got xenon tail lamps on my DD, which seem to have a higher resistance than the stock 3050's, and the indicators now do a nice, lazy flash... I've always preferred the slow flash to the neurotic one... I heard about a guy that actually ran his flasher control through a potentiometer so that he could change the speed from inside the car...

But, like I said, I'm a fan of the slow flashers, so I'll probably just play with the resistors until I get the speed I like...

Does anyone know the resistance of the stock turn signal lamps, both front and rear? I don't think there'd be much of a difference between different Datsun models... Also, n00b question, but the total LED wattage in an assembly (as in, a single filament in a normal bulb) can exceed the wattage of bulb it's replacing without any ill effects, providing the wiring harness and alternator can support it, correct? Would a lower wattage have any adverse effects?

the total LED wattage in an assembly (as in, a single filament in a normal bulb) can exceed the wattage of bulb it's replacing without any ill effects, providing the wiring harness and alternator can support it, correct?

And provided it doesn't produce a lot more heat. More watts usually mean more heat (bad for plastic lenses and backs).

Regarding flasher units that are immune to changes in lamp load, an industry number EL-12 (Stant, the radiator cap guys) or EF-32 (CEC, the cheap light bulb guys) will fit in the stock flasher connector, be the same size as a 552 flasher, and keep a steady flash rate no matter the number of lamps (LED or incandescent) attached to it. You can install LEDs all the way around, with no heat-generating load resistors, and it will operate correctly on just that small current. Another bonus is that your signals will start blinking right away, instead of the "signal...wait...buzz...click-click-click" business that has plagued some of us in the past. Expect to pay $6-12 US for one of these units.