mklotz70 Fairlane 500 wgn 1964

I'm thinking the same thing about the dinner :)

As for the plates....I'd bet that Betsy is already taken....and I'd have to think about it a bit before I did a vanity plate with that on it. I would, however, like to get the retro plates they have....and I can't get those in vanity style. If they say I can register it....I'll do it...hhmm...wait...if I have to put insurance on it, I'll wait :)

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Found out my buddy has an AOD for me....just need a running motor :)

I sat down with the data plate and deciphered some of the codes....this thing is actually supposed to have a 289 in it. I'd probably just rebuild that and run it. I'll have to see if I can check the block stamp sometime. I've heard it's behind the starter....I won't be checking it anytime soon.

wow! that thing has an awesome body on it!

1962-1964 Ford small blocks are the exact same blocks as 1965 on up except for one awesome little quirk: '62-64 uses a rare (nowadays) five bolt bell housing while '65+ uses the 'modern' six bolt bell housing that Ford used into the 1980s.

in other words, any tranny made after '64 won't bolt up to your original 289. if you have the two speed auto behind that 289 and want to upgrade to a three speed auto you have to come up with a '62-64 three speed auto.

I'm stuck with an great running 260 that I love and a two speed auto that I hate.

if you get ready to rebuild that stock front suspension let me know. I got some tips for you that the parts people won't tell you. (I'm in the middle of a front end rebuild on mine right now.)

fairdatee.jpg

my '64 and I the day I left home after high school graduation in 1988.

me641988.jpg

my '64 and I a few months ago.

me642009.jpg

note: I traded the car off in late '88 and bought it back February of 1996. sure wish I could have owned it all those other years......would be in a lot better shape than it is now.

Very nice Fairlane! I'm pretty sure we've talked about it before, but I think it was a couple of years ago. :)

I have learned some about the early '65 vs. the late '65. I've been told that if, in fact, the block is a 289, I can probably get close to $300 for it from the mustang guys....specifically the '64 guys. I have a cruis-o-matic in my wgn....not sure if that's a 2 or 3 spd. I'm guessing a 3. I know the '64 Fairlane 500 2dr sports coupe I had back in the '80s would start in 2nd gear....but if you manually put it in 1st, it would. I'll be putting the 5.0, AOD trans in it once mend is done :)

Very nice Fairlane! I'm pretty sure we've talked about it before, but I think it was a couple of years ago. :)

I have learned some about the early '65 vs. the late '65. I've been told that if, in fact, the block is a 289, I can probably get close to $300 for it from the mustang guys....specifically the '64 guys. I have a cruis-o-matic in my wgn....not sure if that's a 2 or 3 spd. I'm guessing a 3. I know the '64 Fairlane 500 2dr sports coupe I had back in the '80s would start in 2nd gear....but if you manually put it in 1st, it would. I'll be putting the 5.0, AOD trans in it once mend is done :)

yeah, Cruise-o-Matic is the three speed and Ford-o-Matic is the two speed. If we lived closer I'd make you an offer on the tranny ~ c'est la vie ;) .

I still need to find out if it's a 5 or 6 bolt eng/trans setup. I'd really like the fuel injection and 4 spd auto ....so I'm pretty committed to putting the 5.0 in it :)

I'm guessing shipping to OK wouldn't be cheap. :)

BETSY IS OFFICIALLY MINE!!! :)

I just got back from DMV. I gave them the paperwork, they called Salem, who gave them the go ahead to issue plates! I had to drop another $209 on top of the $77 I'd already spent on the lost title, but I now have Pacific Wonderland plates for Betsy!!! :) Yee Haw!!!

I still need to find out if it's a 5 or 6 bolt eng/trans setup. I'd really like the fuel injection and 4 spd auto ....so I'm pretty committed to putting the 5.0 in it :)

I'm guessing shipping to OK wouldn't be cheap. :)

naw, I'm sure it wouldn't be and honestly it's kind of silly for me to be lusting for an archaic three speed automatic to put behind an obsolete 260 V8 that (here's a little trivia) cannot be bored out to a 289. at some point I'll have to modernize a bit - circa 1971 Ford 400 small block with three speed auto would be awesome.

good luck! ya got a sweet piece to start with!

One thing you could keep your eye out for.....the scoop/scallop trim on the driver's side rear door. I've see non-500 trim, but I haven't come across any of the 500 style for the wider side molding. I'm pretty sure that's the only piece I'm missing. :)

I'm looking forward to getting her on the road and one color :) ....maybe by the end of the summer?? Depends on how long it takes me to finish up Mend.

BETSY IS OFFICIALLY MINE!!! :)

I just got back from DMV. I gave them the paperwork, they called Salem, who gave them the go ahead to issue plates! I had to drop another $209 on top of the $77 I'd already spent on the lost title, but I now have Pacific Wonderland plates for Betsy!!! :) Yee Haw!!!

Sweet! I'm jealous, those PacLand plates are limited edition, and spendy. Perfect on this car. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I knew they were spendy....$109 one time fee....but I didn't know they were limited editions. Sweet :) I just couldn't see spending the $100/year to maintain vanity plates.

Yeah, I hate the annual fee on my ROADSTA vanity plates....especially since the car isn't on the road. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

So the title showed up from DMV...I guess it's completely official now! I recently picked up a GT40 intake(both halves) and some psuedo headers. I probably won't use the headers. I think my buddy has some better ones I can get. I did go to Spokane, but there was no room to pick up the AOD he has for me. I'll go back up in Aug and get them.

And I thought I had a lot of work to do on my Fairlane, not as much as you though! Watch Ebay for that trim piece you need, I saw them once in a while when I was looking for parts for mine. Mine has the original 289, factory air, power steering, and power brakes right now. When I catch up with other projects, I have a 5.0 and AOD sitting in the shop for mine, also I have a 351 to build a stroker in the future. Good luck with the build, I love 64s! cool.gif

Did you get enough motivation out there last night? Brian said there were 1500 cars! I was out there with a buddy and we bounced around for about 2 hours and still only saw about half the cars. It's a dangerous place. Makes me want to go into deep debt to build my projects. I know I'm not exactly close but when the time comes to part out that Lincoln - if you want to drive/drag it to my place I'd be glad to help you pull the engine.

1500? Amazing! I only saw about 50 :) I got into an amazing conversation with Doug.....didn't miss the cars one bit!!! :) There will be another week.

Thanks for the offer! I think I'll have to do it here...transporting everything would be more grief than it would be worth. I still need to get in touch with the previous owner and get him to do the lost title. I think it would be worth the $88 to be able to haul it to a scrap yard instead of having to cut it up.

• 1 month later...

1500? Amazing! I only saw about 50 :) I got into an amazing conversation with Doug.....didn't miss the cars one bit!!! :) There will be another week.

Thanks for the offer! I think I'll have to do it here...transporting everything would be more grief than it would be worth. I still need to get in touch with the previous owner and get him to do the lost title. I think it would be worth the $88 to be able to haul it to a scrap yard instead of having to cut it up.

anything new?