mklotz70 Fairlane 500 wgn 1964

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL....yea...I should probably re-read stuff before I hit send :)

Found out my buddy has an AOD for me....just need a running motor :)

I sat down with the data plate and deciphered some of the codes....this thing is actually supposed to have a 289 in it. I'd probably just rebuild that and run it. I'll have to see if I can check the block stamp sometime. I've heard it's behind the starter....I won't be checking it anytime soon.

love the wagon!!! cant wait for more pics! i miss old school fords.....had a 74 courier(stuffed a 351w in it!) 69 mach 1 mustang(351w stroker) and a 67 f100 with a 352FE big block! loved that truck and the mustang was silly fast...we have had a couple galaxies, and a fairlane, and an Edesel along with several old skol chevys.....

good luck with your new found project!

I didn't get much at the swap meet. The last thing I bought was the repair book. I had to chuckle....the original price inside the cover was $3.50....I paid $6 :) Neither of the tail lights fit, but they were only $7 between the two of them. The left one looks like what I want to put on it eventually.

100_2873.jpg

This may start to seem like a thread about a Lincoln Town Car, but it's simply the donor vehicle. :)

So.....I had no intentions whatsoever to even look for a donor this early! But...this was one of those deals that was too good to pass up. It was supposed to be a runner/driver, but we ended up towing it home. I'm glad I did, but I didn't want to have to spend so much time working on it to get it driving. It started right up on starting fluid, but wouldn't stay running on gas. We put 3 gallons in it...most of which leaked back out. Turned out to be a stress crack in the tank at the 3/4 mark. I got all the old crappy gas drained out. I went to the s/y and got an inline pump out of a Ford Ranger for $20 thanks to a suggestion from a buddy of mine in Spokane. He also suggested I use the ryobi battery to run it...worked awesome!! I called hazmat about disposing of the old gas...they said they'd take up to 35 gal in nothing bigger than a 5gal container. I asked if they had to keep the container...yep....asked for a suggestion, he said the grocery stores might have some pickle buckets or something......called Safeway, they put me through to the bakery. I went and picked up 3 buckets with rubber seal lids! Sweet!!! :)

OMG!! This fuel pump set up in the trunk is what gets guys nominated for the Darwin awards!!! DO NOT DUPLICATE THIS!! Especially if you are going to drive around. I need to be able to move it, not daily drive it. I pulled the wire on the trunk latch so that it can't pull itself down. It will leave the trunk vented.

The old gas was quite nasty!! I was thinking about pulling the tank to get the pump running...changed my mind. Maybe when it's time to start prepping the donor, I might drop the tank and try that...then I can get a trip permit and drive the TC for a few days to get things up and running before I strip it.

I did take it around the block. Spun the tires on one take off...so first gear doesn't slip and it's got some torque :) When I punched it to downshift, it didn't seem to find a gear, but the trans fluid might not be at the correct level...didn't check. I've got a couple of months before I worry about that!!

I'll see about CL'ing parts off it when it comes time....it's really straight!!

100_2909.jpg

100_2910.jpg

100_2911.jpg

100_2914.jpg

100_2915.jpg

100_2917.jpg

100_2921.jpg

100_2924.jpg

100_2929.jpg

100_2932.jpg

100_2936.jpg

100_2937.jpg

100_2938.jpg

100_2939.jpg

100_2940.jpg

100_2941.jpg

100_2942.jpg

100_2944.jpg

100_2945.jpg

100_2946.jpg

100_2948.jpg

Thanks guys. It's got 113,000 on it, so there should be alot of life left in the 5.0. I already have a spare aod trans waiting for me in Spokane. If I didn't have so dang many cars right now I'd consider replacing the tank/pump and drive it. It rides sooooooo smooth!!!

It's got a 260 that's froze up. I don't think it's worth putting any money into. The plan at this point is to get a donor vehicle with a 5.0, 4spd AOD, posi. I'm really liking Driven's suggestion of using a Mark VII or VIII. It may be a bit...need to get Mend done and save up some more money :)

if your gonna do that, are you going to FI it?? if so, you could squeeze a touch more power from it with using Explorer heads, cam,and intake with the MKVII computer. i have been researching this myself for my Grand Marquis.

oh and i have the EXACT same motor in my 90 Grand Marquis. great motors!

ya...it's not the absolute best donor, but it's fuel injected and has an AOD. I'm not that concerned with power, so I have no plans of changing anything on the motor. I'd sooner get a different motor than actually change anything on it. Remember.....I hate greasy mechanic work. I want to fabricate. Heck...when I look at how much work it's going to be to part the lincoln....I start thinking about fixing the tank and selling it!! Use that money to buy another motor.....a clean motor!! :)

Here's a vid of how the motor runs. I don't have any editing software at the moment...was using ACDSEE pro, but when I upgraded computers, I couldn't get it to swap...anyway.....the vid is about 1:21, but after the first 10-15 sec...it's all the same.

th_100_5622.jpg