Instrument cluster

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=speedometer&near=tacoma,wa&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=41.667373,77.695313&ie=UTF8&latlng=47161904,-122467293,7241483023063159689&ei=EthIR8GiL4zEjgGrv6TnBw&cd=1http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=speedometer&near=tacoma,wa&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=41.667373,77.695313&ie=UTF8&latlng=47137973,-122324658,17964999878985370996&ei=fNhIR-_vM424iwHy4oDjAQ&cd=2

type in your area on google maps and speedometer in the what column. or try what is in the tacoma area. i'm sure shipping would be cheap if you take the speedo off the cluster. i too am having a speedo problem. first the thing in the tranny didnt turn the cable. then it worked for some reason. now when i hook my cable up to the speedo it bounces wildly. it's smooth under 30mph the bounces and stays at full mph until i unhook the cable from the speedo. then it falls back down to 0. i can test the speedo with the right tool and a drill but have been lazy about just waiting for one at the junk yard. usually it's the cable that breaks though. i have this weird idea that my cable is too long.:confused:dont know why. i know my cable turns at a nice consistent rate. clusters are easy to come by. maybe a fellow ratsuner will help you out. lots of these guys have spares. i think having one rebuilt would be expensive and not cost effective. depending on the cost.

on a weird side note the blinker lenses in my cluster are yellow instead of the common/normal green. maybe they're just faded?

c'mon somebody offer this guy a speedo.

You sure the cluster is bad????????

what I did is disconnet the cable from the instraument cluster and jack the truck up or just drive it around and if the cable spins its OK, and its the cluster.

if it doesnt spin then the pinion on the speedo output inside is broken. They are plastic teeth they are design to shear off if a bind. remove that 10mm bolt and pull the pinion out,find a new one.

you said you replaced the cable already

Ted ,might have a cluster for you

taajunk@gmail.com

I cant believe the dealer even let you in the garage. Most time they dont want to deal with anything that says Datsun on there.