Photo
- - - - -

Aftermarket Wiring Kits, who has done it?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 TheMission

TheMission

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Cars:'72 240z

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

I am using the 21 circuit, in black. I have power window conversion already in the pipes and other things... I figure I might as well have too many, than too little. I could have probably run the 12, but heck... it's not that much of a price increase for having an extra few circuits around.

The Molex connectors I'm using are only for the basic lighting items and switches... anything that's pulling any significant high current is all going through relays anyways (headlights, ECU, Fuel Pump, Etc.) , so I'm not too worried.

Essentially, I have my tails, (which will be led bulb converted), my turn signal switch, wiper, H/L switch (all relay control), and dash harness (gauges/sensors/etc) on molex. My ignition switch is relocated to the center console with push button start there as well, so it's right next to the fuse panel and I'll wire it directly.

You can see the fuse panel in pictures in my thread in my signature of what is in process there.
Click Here for my Build

_______Previous DIY's - '72 RHD Mini / '02 S2000 / '03 Scion tC Show Car_______
Posted Image

#22 Jesse C.

Jesse C.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts
  • Cars:72 Datsun 510 2 Door, '08 Nissan Xterra

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

Thanks, Mission! That is the kind of info I was looking for! I checked out your build and I must say, that is nice!

Thanks again!
I am allergic to some pet hair, dust, avocados and annoying motherfuckers ! :)

#23 TheMission

TheMission

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Cars:'72 240z

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

Let me know when questions hit... I'll be around.
Click Here for my Build

_______Previous DIY's - '72 RHD Mini / '02 S2000 / '03 Scion tC Show Car_______
Posted Image

#24 hwygod

hwygod

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Cars:1972 510, 2dr, L20

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

I did an EZ-2-Wire kit in my 510. Reasonably easy to install. The only hard part is adapting the ends to the Datsun components. For things like the dash just graft a few inches of the datsun pigtail into end of the harness. As for tail lights, get new sockets. Most kits either come with the correct headlight connectors, or you can get those elsewhere easily.

You could do it all in a weekend.

The biggest problem is that the 510 switches to ground for the brights, and the aftermarket harness do not. Haven't figured out a way around this using the stock switch yet, but it's a minor problem. With a generic switch you could solve the issue.

I realize it has been quite some time since you did this project..... but, it is one I am tackling now.  How did you work out the ground highbeam issue?

#25 draggster69

draggster69

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cars:1971 Datsun 521 Pickup, 1972 Datsun 521, 1966 Chevelle, 2001 Excursion, 2006 VW Passat

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

i have done 2 ez wire kits first on my 2dr 510 and now one on the 521 the are very simple to use. when i do them i separate the front from the rear, and the dash and wrap it before i put( i leave enought to do the crimping ) it in makes it a hell of a lot easier for me at least

Hey I know that this was posted a long time ago but I'm in the process of trying to revive a 521 and I was wondering which harness did you use on your 521?

#26 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,066 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

if possible fix what you got. I seen to many cars get wired pulled and never fixed again.

Most people cant fix(figure out) the turns signal wiring with the flasher units. yet along all the temp and fuel gauge ect....

Throw on some Weber sidedrafts, Rising Sun hood.... call it good

#27 Jesse C.

Jesse C.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts
  • Cars:72 Datsun 510 2 Door, '08 Nissan Xterra

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:23 AM

I ended up using the EZ Wiring Harness and it works great. Car is still not done, but, the wiring is! 

I am allergic to some pet hair, dust, avocados and annoying motherfuckers ! :)

#28 draggster69

draggster69

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cars:1971 Datsun 521 Pickup, 1972 Datsun 521, 1966 Chevelle, 2001 Excursion, 2006 VW Passat

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

I ended up using the EZ Wiring Harness and it works great. Car is still not done, but, the wiring is! 

Okay so I'm thinking about doing a complete rewire on my 521. its my first time doing anything electrical so this may be a dumb question.... do I have to keep anything at all from the factory harness or will the EZ wiring harness have the necessary relays and such??

#29 Crashtd420

Crashtd420

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • Cars:1972 Datsun 521

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:36 AM

That sounds a little ambitious for some one doing wiring for the first time...
Whats your reasoning?
Most of those ez harness are set up for all the main circuits from what I've seen but I could be wrong....
Is this a stock or relatively stock 521? If so I can think of one things the voltage regulator and probably some other small secondary things....
If you decide to still try it please do two things to help yourself... don't butcher the stock harness taking it out... you'll want that for reference, and pictures and notes because some of the wiring diagrams are not quite right... good luck if you proceed....

#30 erikcarter

erikcarter

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Cars:72' 510 wagon

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:03 AM

Did you have any trouble hooking into the column?  All the kits I see have a GM column plug on them.  I want to keep my factory column.

Thanks, Erik

anything with a motor will give me trouble!

#31 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• 15,066 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:57 AM

dont do it.

what not working on yours?

you really think your fuel gauge and temp gauge is really going to work and the turn signals when your done? Most people cant figure it out when the wires are already there whhen they dont work

#32 erikcarter

erikcarter

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Cars:72' 510 wagon

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:12 PM

I have already put all Autometer guages in my wagon. I am having issues with the alternator charging in my car.
anything with a motor will give me trouble!

#33 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• 15,066 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:57 AM

putting gauges in is differnt as your by passing the orginal wiring since yournot using the orginal gauges..

charging goes thru the instrument panel(igntion light) and needs 12volt to power the stock type alternator when key on unless you get a self exciting alternator.