S30 WITH VTAK

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SICK!!!

VVL sounds way better than V-tech....

I'm waiting for someone to try a Variable intake like on some of the newer sport bikes....

It changes the length of the air horns at a certain RPM....... I want to try it on my 510,,, but I would probably fail

And I don't know if it would work with carbs

• Like 1

Not trying to threadajck,,, but I think it is funny that motorcycle technology has improved SO much in the last 20 years....

Yet car tech. peaked over 10 years ago,, ,, and has done nothing but add weight and emmissions crap...... just today in the Bay Area some guy couldn't stop his Prius, it was going full throttle down the freeway (luckily that's only 90mph),, and the cops had to "help" him stop....... no one was hurt, but damn....... Bikes have been using throttle by wire for 4-5 years and I have NEVER heard of a problem.

Anyway,,, ,,, the idea behind variable intake runners: .. small air horns for low RPMs,,, and longer air horns for high RPMs (maybe I'm just high,,,, ,, but these would look SO SICK on my L series:

vvi2.bmp.jpg

vvi.bmp.jpg

• Like 1

i understand what your sayin but from lookin @ the pic i dont see how it works?

well in the 2nd pic i kinda do..

The actuator lifts the 1st half of the runner up making it a short runner, for higher rpm and hp.

I'll be the dick to say it, any I4 in a s30 is a waste of a s30. The thing has 5 feet of hood and you put a I4? No bs about weight or anything either it has 50/50 with an old ass I6 stock. You could do a v6 or v8 even a better I6 and retain great weight characteristics. Besides that just about every datsun came I4 stock, so ya lets put an I4 in one of the only ones that didn't lol smooth.

I'm sure it can be made to be fast, besides the point entirely.....

• Like 1

The actuator lifts the 1st half of the runner up making it a short runner, for higher rpm and hp.

I'll be the dick to say it, any I4 in a s30 is a waste of a s30. The thing has 5 feet of hood and you put a I4? No bs about weight or anything either it has 50/50 with an old ass I6 stock. You could do a v6 or v8 even a better I6 and retain great weight characteristics. Besides that just about every datsun came I4 stock, so ya lets put an I4 in one of the only ones that didn't lol smooth.

yea well everyone an their mother has done a v6 v8 rb bla bla swap, hell i've seen a few sr20det's in s30s.. the sr20ve is a whole new beast, especialy if they turbo it.. this car WILL SCREAM!

besides it comes stock w/ more power then a stock l6, an hell it has more power then some modifyed l6's lol

All the srs have been done and ya it will scream while it goes no where lol, honda style, only with 3ft of hood in front of the engine SWEEEET. Its got a few more hp but the same or less tq stock, then 40yo bolt in L series options. The power ceiling (short of a fortune) is also lower. The rbs come neo vvl and piss on any sr. Throwing a 2.0 liter I4 in there just for that reason is flat out silly. Less displacement and tq right out of the box, which you have to fab to even install, makes absolutely no sense anyway you slice it.

ok man im not going to argue, obviously you dont know shit about SR's.. or neo vvl lol.. but thats ok man..

the neo RB'S do not have VVL.. its just variable cam timing..

and like i said, if ya throw a turbo on this bad boy.. well.. it will be a hell of a beast.. not to mention going with an all aluminum l4 vs a cast iron L6 (cept the head ofc.) you loose alot of weight!!

i know your a smart guy, an you know alot of stuff.. but your wrong in this case.. Dont ya pay attention to my thread? lol!

edit: these motors have been known to throw down 500whp with stock internals.. (stock meaning nissan) cause sometimes folks chaing the pistons out for lower cp ones..

Ah Idc to argue either but a couple of things...

-Smaller engine then stock or any bolt in option. Idc how much power, its a shittier tq curve because of the tiny displacement. a Larger displacement engine 99% of the time is going to have a better band.

-The fat casting and webbing on sr dont make it lighter at all, in fact its about 5 lbs lighter then a 2.4 ka24de (both loaded) with a iron block. L6 series are also very light motors to boot it's only a couple lbs more then a ka in fact. Loosing a couple pounds is nothing that warrants the swap, money and fab.

I understand you like the motor and its cool for you to see it in the z, cool but....

vvl or nvcs I really dont care, its a tiny motor in a car with mad hood. To me the shits dumb, it wastes space and fab to gain a few lbs dropped and.... nothing.

Ah Idc to argue either but a couple of things...

-Smaller engine then stock or any bolt in option. Idc how much power, its a shittier tq curve because of the tiny displacement. a Larger displacement engine 99% of the time is going to have a better band.

-The fat casting and webbing on sr dont make it lighter at all, in fact its about 5 lbs lighter then a 2.4 ka24de (both loaded) with a iron block. L6 series are also very light motors to boot it's only a couple lbs more then a ka in fact. Loosing a couple pounds is nothing that warrants the swap, money and fab.

I understand you like the motor and its cool for you to see it in the z, cool but....

vvl or nvcs I really dont care, its a tiny motor in a car with mad hood. To me the shits dumb, it wastes space and fab to gain a few lbs dropped and.... nothing.

I'll stand up and agree with you here. I'm personally of the opinion that putting an engine of smaller displacement than the one that came out is a waste, I don't care how big your turbo is. And personally, listening to the records people have made horsepower on with stock internals is slightly annoying. how long did that motor run at 500whp? The M104 has held 650 stock, and the guy with that power is at 30k and ticking at that boost level (24psi iirc). When the motor is larger, within a cast iron manifold's weight, and cheaper than all the over-hype that is the SR, RB, or JZ world, cute little 4cyl's seem silly...

heres something i found,

Engine weights and specs

A12____ - 87 kg _192 lbs

A14____ - 93 kg _205 lbs

L18____ - 118 kg 260 lbs

CA18ET_ - 118 kg 260 lbs

QR25DE_ - 121 kg 267 lbs

CA18DET - 128 kg 282 lbs

SR20DE -- 139 kg 306 lbs

SR20DET - 149 kg 328 lbs

FJ20ET_ - 166 kg 366 lbs

KA24DE_ - 167 kg 368 lbs (estimated)

the ve is about the same weight as a det.. or pretty close to it..

an from what i am reading the l28 block is about 400-440 depending whats attatched..

anyway i understand where your commin from, an thanks for understandin where im commin from.

but seriously, this car will scream lol..

n/a sentras with a little weight loss an some bolt on upgrades can run low 13's to mid 12's ;)

Hey, I'll throw a stick in the works for NJ!

What about the Fairlady with the L20A motor? That's only 2 liters and it's a 6 cylinder! My 510 buddy actually has one in his shop.

In short, that would make your argument CRAP! :P (I'm just playing around here.)

I would say larger displacement is usually better, but 400 horse is 400 horse. Look at all the STIs/Mitsu Evos. They make big power and only out of tiny motors. Yet they weigh a metric shit-ton more than a Z car. So in my opinion, 4 cylinder in a Z car can't be that bad.

Ya in japan only and because of tax reasons. We live in America (most of us) lol. If the car came here like thaT I'd agree there would be little argument.... but it didn't.

No one ever doubted the power that could be made, the sr series is damn fine. It doesn't change the curves, displacement or hood space though.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, thats just mine

Is it a 2007 R1???

I think they have a dead spot in their power band at 5,500rpm

I still think bike technology has jumped SO FAR in the last 15 years,,,,, while car tech has done nothing but emissions crap........ and fly by wire that doesn't even work.... :lol:

no they fixed that issue. The problem with them is tuning out the lean part, when they open up.

I feel the same way, what a waste. I have a Rb25 in process, thats what should be in there!

• 3 weeks later...

You didn't mention the biggest argument for the RB.... It's the BEST sounding nissan motor ever made. That thing is stock form with good exhaust sounds SO damn nice.

Its just a rusty old datto, who cares what motor goes in it, lets worry about ride height :) As long as it's really low I will like it :)