Throttle linkage for 510

I've been playing with my engine and getting it tuned up right (finally got the timing issue figured out... stupid oil-pump spindle off by a tooth), and now it's time to get a working throttle linkage set up. I've been doing it by hand, since I don't have anything between the throttle actuator and the pedal.

The stock set up is a bit of a rube goldberg device (think "Mousetrap"), with rods and doodads everywhere, and that'll work, since the SUs have the stock throtle actuator... but I could swap over to a cable setup, but then I'd need a cable mounting plate.

I've got both styles of pedals - one with the push-rod thingum, and also with the cable setup, but I'm missing the stuff that goes between the pedals and the carbs.

If anybody has anything handy, let me know.

Also, if somebody has a stock airbox for twin SUs, I'd be glad to get that as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

get a cable from lokar out of Portland. Take a flat piece of metal drill a hole in it put the cable on backwards mount the side that was to go to the carbs to the petal then take the other piece from a weber throttle kit and cut the end off and put it on the carb then i had to make another piece to hold the end of the cable this one is up to you it all on how you want it to look i did mine in about a hour. After i had it a done i realize that i now get FULL THROTTLE the stock bs wouldn't open up my carbs all the way. its pretty easy a few small holes a couple beers and your in em

I had this pic Bookmarked. Might give you some ideas:

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3393

Also, the pic before that shows a hack he did using a 240Z air box, but it sounds like he is running 240Z SUs, so it might not work for smaller SUs. At least you would need to go to smaller air horns.

I looked at a L20B 510 recently that was running 240Z SUs, and it had what looked like the original 510 throttle rod from the firewall going at an angle to the carbs. It looked bad, but the car was supposed to be running, so maybe it was functional. I seem to remember a post somewhere on using the original throttle rod, but somehow repositioning the pivot point on the firewall so it would run straight to the carbs. Most recommend a cable throttle for 510s, but since I burned the cable through on my 200SX, I'm hesitant about cables.

I'm going to have to do something come Spring, when I get my engine back together, if I decide to stick my SUs on. They are a Upull set with wear on the throttle shaft/body. I'm not sure I want to spend the money to have them re-bushed, so I may just hang them on there and see if they more or less work. FI continues to intrigue me, but seems a huge amount of work.

The "Just SUs" video has a section on an after market cold air box for SUs for a 240Z. The guy who does the vid is very convincing on the need to get cold air from ahead of the radiator in order to get more power, but this is on a race car he is running. Maybe for street it isn't so important. I've never heard of an after market air box for 510s, but most dimers are so cheap they probably build their own, so there is no market for them.

This is my Lokar setup I made for my Z22 in my 521....quite simple actually

I welded this little extension arm on the stock linkage then drilled out for the

ball joint to bolt up. Then on the inside I drilled out the old ball and clipped

the other end of the cable to it. I also bent up that angle bracket that

mounts to the SU's, as well as the little bracket on the firewall.

I hope this gives ya an idea of what it looks like.....I have never seen anyone

do it like this yet.

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.