Datsunville finishing lost 1969 2 door project

That Dime is FRIGGIN' SWEET!!! ;) I can't hardly wait to see the finished product. keep the updates coming. I would kill for my restoration project to get this kind of restoration work done. It looks like you all do great quality work. Good luck on the build and sale.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, that goon looks great. I love BRE goons

:D Thanks, It wasn't like that when I bought it. That's for sure. It was trashed and I rescued it to race. It only took me and a friend about two months to build and it's a blast to race it ;) . It's for sure the most popular four cylinder race car at my local race track. The fans and officials really seem to like it. The announcer calls it the grocery getter when I'm racing it. lol. I'm just hoping somebody doesn't destroy it right away at the track. Some guys have NO RESPECT for other people's equipment on a race track. Good luck with the project/sale.

• 4 months later...

UPDATE, back to work on this bad boy before the rains come. Working toward getting it off the rotisserie, and in the shop. Next step weld up all the problem areas.Lower rockers need replaced, drivers floor and under the rear seat.

DSCN1658.jpg

DSCN1659.jpg

Heading to Medford Oregon to buy paint in a week or so. I have a picky client that wants a special color, nobody in Cali sells.

By the end of the week it will be roughed and engine bay will be ready for paint. WOW

More pic yeppi

Melted all the lead out of the seams, these seams crack after fresh paint, if you the factory lead.

P1010003.jpg

Areas cut out of the rockers that had small holes of rust, once open you can see the metal rotting from the inside out.

P1010002-1.jpg

Finish all the sand blasting on the body, holy shit that's out of the way

P1010009.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010015.jpg

Cutting off donor floor pans with a plasma cutter at 11pm, these will be welded in soon

P1010022-1.jpg

Sweet, thorough work you're doing there! Very nice indeed!

tiger hair/ kitty hair I am familiar with (fiberglass-strand filled filler). How do you integrate the carbon fiber - if indeed you are telling the truth about this. Inquiring datsun restorers want to know. I've not had the problem of the lead cracking after fresh paint, but always I've had K36 primer on that area. Do you consistently see it crack?

I don't know how to melt the lead out (other than welding too close to it! - ha! Do you do this with a Propane or MAPP? and knife it out as it softens?

Here are pics of the White Knight, 3 years after paint.

DSCN1645.jpg

DSCN1647.jpg

But it does not happen to all 510s

The Kitty hair / carbon fiber filler is a new and improved product, I came across a years ago. Very strong, It is all in one can. Not a concoction I came up with.

I usually melt lead with a small propane touch or oxy set up. a little heat at a time and a wire brush to clean it away as it melts. Just like burning off bondo filler.

• Like 1

This thing is almost off the rotisserie, this is making me happy. And this rotisserie will be for rent to fellow Datsun heads, soon. Got all the floors welded in, went a little further then expected, but no worries for later, if this thing ends up in Oregon, Washington or somewhere wet.

Sandblasted all the replacement panels

P1010024-1.jpg

P1010178-1.jpg

Once blasted the rear replacement pan that looked perfect had a few small rust hole, after all that work. I will end up welding these buggers closed. After all the work test fitting and cleaning old metal, I think this is the last time I used recycled pans, extra hours not worth the time.

P1010177.jpg

I also figures while this thing is in the air, I would get rid of some unnecessary holes.

P1010180-1.jpg

Trimming the drivers pan to fit

P1010184.jpg

Once the pan is welded in I would not be able to seal the inside of the channel, so I sealed it with a rust inhibiting primer before I welded in the pan, yes some will get burnt off, but not all.

P1010186-1.jpg

P1010190.jpg

P1010193.jpg

Seam seal everything and now ready for the black sealer

P1010196.jpg

Next step flip the car and seal the under side, and pull her off this HOG BBQ

I use a roller, to help seal more of the laps of sheetmetal, gaps and crevices, Also cuts down on overspray

On the floor pan replacement, I decided to not used recycled pans, from here out, but instead make them from 18 or 20 gauge. It's pretty ez to make a gig from sheets of thick plywood, to help with bends. Clamp the metal between 2 sheets, with the area you want to bend hanging over, then hammer that area to make your flange. When welding the new metal in use self tamping sheet metal screws to secure the new panel. Then weld 4 inch beads and remove screws as you go. That's a confusing short story of it, hope it helps.