Little Red Wagon...

Hello all... been cruising the site for a while, gathering ideas and technical information so I figured it was about time to throw my build into the hat. 71 510 wagon 92k original miles.

Crappy pics from the day I picked her up...

datsun002.jpg

datsun011.jpg

The interior... Look at that head liner! Complete and clean.

datsun009.jpg

datsun010.jpg

Under the hood was a little grungy :blink: but original and also complete. Just wish it ran better than it did.

datsun007.jpg

So the plan is uncertain at this time but she’s guna be hot. I'll be updating as they happen ;)

Later

Joel

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Met Skib the other day and bought his Snowflakes. Fell in love with the wheels a while back and was stoked to find them for sale.

l_6649587a4eef457a8bd0c1a2a7c8fc6d1.jpg

Striped, bead blasted and powder coated them in a silver flake. Then I had them wrapped in 195 50 15 BFG g force sport tires.

IMG_2596.jpg

And ordered a full set of factory zx lug nuts... $120 :blink:

IMG_2579.jpg

Can't wait to get them bolted up but that will have to wait till the suspension and paint is done under the hood. ;)

Later

Joel

• 1 month later...

Man, this thing was buried :P

Haven’t had tons of time lately but I have managed some work on the wagon...

A nice box of new goodies from Troy Ermish showed up on my door step.

IMG_2834.jpg

And I removed the coil buckets from the 280zx struts and sand blasted them.

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

Next I went at the under hood area in preparation of paint. The engine bay was in pretty good shape overall with the exception of some leaking brake fittings taking out some of the paint and the battery taking out the other half.

IMG_2846.jpg

Tray out...

IMG_2847.jpg

All gone now.

IMG_2848.jpg

No wonder I didn't have any brakes before.

IMG_2845.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

All stripped down, I needed a way to maneuver the car around the shop during this phase. So I went down to Harbor Freight and bought as set of caster for a temp front cross member. They are designed for 400 lbs each and work quite well. For $12 each, how can I miss? ;)

IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

I cut the strut towers for the camber/caster plates and hated the look soooo I kept on cutting till I was happy :P

IMG_2865.jpg

It was obvious that the plates supplied were ugly with the extra bolts and the offset center cut so I went about making new top hats out of .188 steel that will be welded in place for a clean look. Not to mention I stand to gain an extra 1/2" of suspension up travel by eliminating the extra aluminum plate. I mimicked the original plates in design and alignment so ultimately nothing should change other than the plate itself.

No CNC cutting for me so I did it the old fashion way...

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2864.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

Turned out pretty good and I was also able to take out a lot of the slop the other plates had in the bolt channels. I spent the rest of my time making the second one so I should be able to make my final cuts and install these beasts later this week.

Later

Joel

LOVE that caster from harbor freight idea.....wish I woulda thought of that when I was at that stage. The pic of the yellow engine bay brings back memories of the goon I once had :(

Update:

Template...

IMG_2891.jpg

Cut and ready to weld...

IMG_2903.jpg

All welded up...

IMG_2908.jpg

Here is the plate provided with the kit for comparison. I left everything the same as far as offset...

IMG_2927-Copy.jpg

And a pic with the slide installed...

IMG_2939.jpg

I plan to grid the outer aspect of the tower to recreate the stock upper radius. Should work well and looks a lot cleaner than a hacked up stock tower and a bunch of extra bolts. After measuring the thickness of everything I took out, I'm also gaining about 7/16" of extra travel vs. bolting in the kits adapter.

Later

Joel

• Like 3

Worked out a deal with the owner of this beauty and will be taking possession in the near future. Fresh L20B, 5 speed trans.

Untitled.jpg

Can't wait to get this thing moving under its own power :cool:

Later

Joel

Holy Shit! That is my old 73 2 door! That was a good motor when I sold it to him but def. not s fresh rebuild. Of course he could have rebuilt it it has been almost 2 years. Got that motor with W53 head & 5 speed from Frank for $510 :)

Nice goon dude. Super clean & it looks like it has fell into the rite hands. Keep posting!

Update:

Template...

IMG_2891.jpg

Cut and ready to weld...

IMG_2903.jpg

All welded up...

IMG_2908.jpg

Here is the plate provided with the kit for comparison. I left everything the same as far as offset...

IMG_2927-Copy.jpg

And a pic with the slide installed...

IMG_2939.jpg

I plan to grid the outer aspect of the tower to recreate the stock upper radius. Should work well and looks a lot cleaner than a hacked up stock tower and a bunch of extra bolts. After measuring the thickness of everything I took out, I'm also gaining about 7/16" of extra travel vs. bolting in the kits adapter.

Later

Joel

camber plates from DPR...best place to buy 510 goodies from...

Holy Shit! That is my old 73 2 door! That was a good motor when I sold it to him but def. not s fresh rebuild. Of course he could have rebuilt it it has been almost 2 years. Got that motor with W53 head & 5 speed from Frank for $510 :)

Nice goon dude. Super clean & it looks like it has fell into the rite hands. Keep posting!

Thanks for the info, it’s always nice to find the history behind parts before you buy. Pm'ed you a few questions if you don't mind...

nice work keep it upcan not wait to see the goon finish......... :cool:

Thanks...

camber plates from DPR...best place to buy 510 goodies from...

So far the quality is top notch ;) looking forward to trying the setup on the street.

glad my wheels found their way onto a soon to be very nice goon :lol:

Thanks man, can't wait to get them bolted on their ;)