Little Red Wagon...

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a while back, I found a set of euro taillight lenses and like most, had the problem of no bulb separation when indicating....

Before:

So I found this little guy on line. It's a two wire to three wire converter that uses relays to isolate the brake and indicator signals.

6YCUFur.jpg

And after:

Success!

• Like 1

So a while back, I found a set of euro taillight lenses and like most, had the problem of no bulb separation when indicating....

Before:

So I found this little guy on line. It's a two wire to three wire converter that uses relays to isolate the brake and indicator signals.

6YCUFur.jpg

And after:

Success!

I have done this by just running a wire direct from the brake light switch, bypassing the turn signal switch.

Sooooo, in an effort catch this dinosaur of a build thread up...

A while back, I decided the rep wheels I was sporting weren't guna cut it anymore and I started exploring the magical world of yahoo jp... Like a little boy in a toy store, I was quickly in love with the first thing I found and wouldn't be happy till it was mine! A few months later, these were on my door step.

Z3N8ewY.jpg

Something extremely exciting about packaging from a foreign land... Until you unpack your rather expensive investment to find you have your work cut out. My first lesson on buying used vintage wheels... Always expect the worst and be happy when you're wrong. I was unfortunately right this time :(

PZASZJh.jpg

These things were scratched, beat and rushed. And on top of that, they were ceramic coated...

CT7tlGE.jpg

No other way to remove it but elbow grease... Started with 80 grit and slowly (very slowly) worked my way up to 3000. The damaged wheels went to the shop for repairs. Rash was filled and the small ding in one was straightened. I'm a pretty tough customer when it comes to parts like these but the local shop that did the work was amazing.

jisSwCJ.jpg

And finally I took them to the polishing wheel...

CctJ8C8.jpg

Next up was powder coat for the centers... I later realized that I probably should have chosen a different order of events to avoid duplicating efforts but regardless, in the end they came out great. I sourced a new set of center caps and valve stems from SSR Japan and new stainless hardware to finish em off.

vAkPRG1.jpg

Now that these are done, I think I'll sell em and start over with wheels too ;)

• Like 8

borla/magnaflow is still a straight thru type design its not going to queit it down. Esp if only a Weber DGV on there.

Now if 40/44 mikunis then it will sound better as alot more air fills in the cavities of the muffler. Thats why they sound OK on V8s or Turbo 4 bangers. But if small carbs they all sound like a Honda with a Can on the back.

flowmasters rust on the bottom vains and kinda big also in size.

I have a stainless Dynamax Ultraflow on my Banzai car and its fine but run a 1.75 inch pipe and have 40mil mikunis. It not loud at all when the exhaust warms up.

]

once you get old quiet is better. 2/3 chamber walther Dynomax or a Thrush and make a space for a resonator if still to loud

I think those Wats RS8s(bigtankers) would look good on that wagoon

• Like 1

since were changing the topic a little , i was surprised to read on the last page you changed some of your interior  ( seats ) pieces for something more modern . Just had to laugh a little , i cant blame you for wanting something more comfortable . but how many best of interior plaques or awards do you have for the way it was ..    It just made me thinkin about last year at canby when you slept in your car and then won best interior . Or was that blue lake ?

borla/magnaflow is still a straight thru type design its not going to queit it down. Esp if only a Weber DGV on there.Now if 40/44 mikunis then it will sound better as alot omre all fills in the cavities of the muffler. Thats why they sound OK on V8s or Turbo 4 bangers. But if small carbs they all sound like a Handa with a Can on the back.flowmasters rust on the bottom vains and kinda big also in size.I have a stainless Dynamax Ultraflow on my Banzai car and its fine but run a 1.75 inch pipe and have 40mil mikunis. It not loud at all when the exhaust warms up.]once you get old quiet is better. 2/3 chamber walther Dynomax or a Thrush and make a space for a resonator if still to loudI think those Wats RS8s(bigtankers) would look good on that wagoon

This is the logic I've been considering for my next muffler choice.

And I've already acquired my next set of wheels... Wats are nice but these are incredibly (my opinion of course :) )

I've been running su's since day one and have done a lot work with advanced tuning and needle profiling. Heres the process...

I decided to started with the z therapy m66 needles... why? Because I wasn't using them and they seemed like a good starting profile. Like I said before, my feeling based on research is that my cruise/steady state lean condition is as a result of stations 2-7. My idle and WOT numbers seem fine for now so I'm only going to modify what I think I need. We'll see how it goes after I can test and report back.

range.png

So I did the math and decided on a new set of numbers. I started at station 2 and worked up to station 9 to make sure that the taper would be consistent and smooth while reducing the diameter enough to make a difference in my fuel map (hopefully) To help keep track of the stations, I made a scale drawing that I can use as a template. Seeing as how I had a set group of stations I wanted to modify, I decided to only make the sand paper as wide as it needs to be and glued it to the back of the reference card.

20131001_194735-1.jpg

20131001_194739.jpg

I then chucked the needle up in the drill press and reduced the speed to about 200 rpm for the initial cut.

20131001_183322.jpg

I found it easier to mark the stations on the needle for measuring between passes.

20131001_190044.jpg

And about two hours later, I had matching needles with my new profile.

f3c0ee0d-ddb0-47ea-b883-2014b56b2467.jpg

So here we are now... this is a table I made showing previous needles I've made in addition to other members for comparison.

Profiles2.png

These needles have worked great... Still efficient for milage but much safer #'s at cruise and partial throttle.

borla/magnaflow is still a straight thru type design its not going to queit it down. Esp if only a Weber DGV on there.

Now if 40/44 mikunis then it will sound better as alot more air fills in the cavities of the muffler. Thats why they sound OK on V8s or Turbo 4 bangers. But if small carbs they all sound like a Honda with a Can on the back.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.

Here's a sound clip of my 610 with a Borla muffler. Weber DGV on an L20b. Sorry about the sound quality, it is an old video with an old camera.

http://vid686.photobucket.com/albums/vv224/MicroMachinery/76%20610/Video025.mp4

Hmmmm awful hard to make any decisions based on that one sound clip alone but it does sound a whole lot like my magnaflow... I will agree that after re reading banzai's comment that I'm not entirely convinced that carb choice will change the tone of an exhaust system but I'm no expert. I do agree that small diameter tube and a multi chambered muffler will definitely help sound and tone.