BMW Projector Head Lamp Installation ??

Hey Yall

So Ive spent countless hours over the past year searching for a clean BMW projector install. I have not found a good writeup on the subject anywhere including Ratsun. Ive seen references to one once posted here, but it hasnt turned up. I would hate to start cutting into the lamps I bought only to mess them up and make them useless. I have a very clean set that Id love to use as a final install, but not a test subject. Most of the 510's I have seen that have these projectors are not adjustable. They installed them so that you cannot direct the beam. That doesnt fly with me.

2 posts down is the write-up.

Edited by DatsunMotorSports
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or I could drop one of these F@#$in things on the ground and shatter the lens and reflector.

So here you go insta-write-up.

Take your projector lamp

P1030409.JPG

Remove the chrome ring. It clips on. Just pull and it will come off. The lens is glued to the housing. It may fall off or need to be pried off. It may even need to be heated up and pried off.

P1030410.JPG

Here is the hard part.

The adjuster mounts need to be removed. I have a small pneumatic saw. I cut them down to the base. You will not want to do this. Cut it back to the housing, but not all the way down to the base where the lens is glued. If you do it will not be snug in the housing and may rattle around. So leave to much and trim to fit snug.

P1030411.JPG

Next grab your 510 or 521 adjuster plate.

P1030412.JPG

I cut it down the center like so.

P1030413.JPG

It fits over the projector housing

P1030414.JPG

Re-install your lens and the 510 chrome ring.

P1030418.JPG

Then just cut your backing plate that mounts to the car/truck to allow the projector housing to fit.

After much cursing and throwing of stuff around acting like a stripped-ass-ape - Done.

Pissed but done. Now I got to buy 1 projector light. lame

• Like 1

Now are you still gonna have to beat the shit out of the wheel well like I seen another member do? or does it fit nice?

I just put both sets in. The Left side projector is loose as I broke the glass and cut it to much. The right side however is snug. Said side rubs the inner fender well. I have the original head light lamps to put in, but I have a HID kit that Im going to install instead. I think that if you want to be able to fit the bulb in there you may want to rub the inner fender away from the bulb area. It will not need beating to work. My car needs paint so Im going to work a small area around the bulb. I think 1/8" should be fine and I wont worry about the bulb touching the inner fender. This is just a preliminary fit though. I dont have the wire harness in so adjusting the head lights properly will have to wait. It is possible that the adjustments require more working of the inner fender. Depending on what tire/wheel combo you have you could have an issue I guess. I hit the floor/bulk head area on the back of the fender well long before I get close to the front inner fender well though. So unless your worried about where your feet are it doesnt sound like much of an issue. If your engine bay is painted however, you may have to prepare to repaint.

probably... lol

The pictures are hosted on my personal server with my home service internet. So if I get a lot of bandwidth going out, your browser times out before the pictures will ever load.

Here is a link direct to the source

http://datsunmotorsports.selfip.com/images/510%20pictures/bmw%20projector%20head%20lamps/

probably... lol

The pictures are hosted on my personal server with my home service internet. So if I get a lot of bandwidth going out, your browser times out before the pictures will ever load.

Here is a link direct to the source

http://datsunmotorsports.selfip.com/images/510%20pictures/bmw%20projector%20head%20lamps/

Nice. I need to do this to mine soon.

Thanks for the photo writeup.

one question... how come peopke dont run the projectors in the hi beam location and the thinner h4 housings in the driving light poistion this way you dont have the iner fender mess???

use the h4s for driving then in the canyons kick on the H.I.D.. thats what i think i would do either way thanks for the write up

I do not see why not. If your stock reversing the lights should work. I installed them how they came out of the BMW. If you have a large radiator or something like that the lights protrude far out into the engine bay. I think they are safer out on the sides personally. They are out of the way. But if you have the room I dont know why you couldnt.

Not sure why you guys are having to remove the lenses? Did you get them from a car like this?

E34_525i_skyline.jpg

All I ever had to do was cut the protruding plastic lumpys off the BMW housing, then enlarge the 510 headlight door.

The new headlight will adjust just like your old one did.

SIMG05.JPG

There was a writeup on the DQ eons ago on how to do this.

Not sure why you guys are having to remove the lenses? Did you get them from a car like this?

E34_525i_skyline.jpg

All I ever had to do was cut the protruding plastic lumpys off the BMW housing, then enlarge the 510 headlight door.

The new headlight will adjust just like your old one did.

SIMG05.JPG

There was a writeup on the DQ eons ago on how to do this.

Somebody asked me that question on the510realm.

The answer

In regards to the BMW light install, why did you find it necessary to remove the lens from the assembly? I was working on mine last night and didn't need to remove the lens.

So it doesnt break while you work on it. Just a precaution. One of mine simply fell out of the housing once the chrome ring was removed. Chances are others will to, so you might as well check to be sure.

Ray

do these lights really make that big a difference?? i was thinking of doin this swap but my lights seem fine to me... but im probably missing out on some important information..

This headlight mod, WITH the proper wiring/relays to handle the increased current greatly improves light output. I swapped out the highbeams for the bmw ones as well...

DSC01310.jpg

yeah i have good stock lights but i love bright lights.... plus these look bitchen and i like the fact of being able to swap in a brighter bulb

like i said i just came up on 2 sets i will mod both sets witch ever i dont use i will sell for a great deal to make my money back that i paid for both sets

• 3 weeks later...