Carburator? What webber do i get?

AtomChurch

I have a 78 L20b. I want to get a carburator for it, baxters doesn't even sell carb's for my car.[ i go to baxers because I can get 50% off when my friend is working] what is the webber i should buy for my car? any 32/36? what have you guys done for carbs?

-Atom

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32/36 is pretty much the norm, good carb for all around performance. I personlly like the 38mm outlaw carbs better, but they cost more and you do lose a little bit of mileage with them, but the hp you gain with the 38 is a huge amout out of a carb swap. I would sugggest you get a jet kit, or seach around for the right jets so you can dial it in. no weber comes perfect out of the box.

Baxter's should not have any trouble getting a Weber for you. Thought that they stocked them in the portland warehouse. Anyways, there is a guy that works at the tigard baxters that is super good with webers, older guy, very helpful, races old toyota's, but i cant remember his name. Might try picking his brain?

Jason

Baxter's should not have any trouble getting a Weber for you. Thought that they stocked them in the portland warehouse. Anyways, there is a guy that works at the tigard baxters that is super good with webers, older guy, very helpful, races old toyota's, but i cant remember his name. Might try picking his brain?

Jason

sounds good...but....we gotta pick your brain first for that name...LOL

I mean just walk in and look for the "older guy"?....how much older?...hey just messin with ya.....:D

sounds good...but....we gotta pick your brain first for that name...LOL

I mean just walk in and look for the "older guy"?....how much older?...hey just messin with ya.....:D

Ya, I knew that someone would at least get a chuckle out of that. Does leave a lot of question about the age, Huh? But, if you have ever been to Baxter's you will see that most of the employees are about 25-26 or younger.

Jason

what's the difference between a 34 and a 32/36? I looked on the addy that hainz posted & saw that the 38 is listed for the z24, will that still bolt up to the L20 intake or does it require a different adapter?

sorry for the hijack, but I want to keep the Questions in one place.

None of them bolt up to the L20B manifold. They all have the same pattern that requires an adapter (so long as we are talking a 34DGAV, a 32/36 DG(A,E)V, or a 38DGAS. A 34DFT is an obsolete carb that actually fits the L-series manifold, but has to be installed backwards to make the throttle work.

Also, note that most 32/36 are marked 32/36DGAV on the carb body even if they have an electric choke. They all have a common body, so whatever choke assembly was requested was what got put on (Electric is more common).

I don't have any experiance with dual carbs, but I assume any setup like that is going to be harder to tune than a single carb... as for the Mikuni's vs the Webers, I suppose it's more up to personal preferance. Some people seem to like the Mikuni's, some like the Webers. I'm not sure if the SU's are the Mikuni's, so you might want to check into that. But, if you don't have much preferance towards one carb or another, get the Webers... you can find them new pretty easily, there's a bunch of used ones floating around, and it'll be easier to get jets (and possibly rebuild kits) for the Webers...

But the more important question you need to ask yourself is, do you need dual carbs? What are you trying to achieve? Do you need carbs, or would FI work? If you need carbs, are you going to be doing enough head work to warrent the extra cost of dual carbs, or are you just replacing a worn-out stock carb? You could just go with a larger single carb rather than dual carbs... Remember, dual carbs require a new intake manifold, modifications to the choke and throttle linkage, and you have to buy twice the carbs... I've seen a single Weber sell for $400-$500 new up here... a lot of money to drop if you don't really need it.

I ... as for the Mikuni's vs the Webers, I suppose it's more up to personal preferance. Some people seem to like the Mikuni's, some like the Webers. I'm not sure if the SU's are the Mikuni's, so you might want to check into that.

SU's are NOT anything but SU's

mikunis = easier to tune

weber = easier to get parts

each has their unique benefits over the other.

i have both but havent played with the mikunis yet...:mellow:

None of them bolt up to the L20B manifold. They all have the same pattern that requires an adapter (so long as we are talking a 34DGAV, a 32/36 DG(A,E)V, or a 38DGAS. A 34DFT is an obsolete carb that actually fits the L-series manifold, but has to be installed backwards to make the throttle work.

Also, note that most 32/36 are marked 32/36DGAV on the carb body even if they have an electric choke. They all have a common body, so whatever choke assembly was requested was what got put on (Electric is more common).

Will a 32/36 fit the Z24 manifold without an adapter? The L20B and the Z22 are smaller and will swap but the Z24 has a larger bolt pattern, will the Weber fit it?

Larger? Oh, wait, I have an '83 Z24. It's the oddball of the bunch- not a feedback carb.

I'll have to look at my Z24 manifolds that DID come off feedback carbbed vehicles. I thought they were the same size, but I never checked. I know the TBI on the Z24i has a different pattern, as one stud is offset.