nukeday

I picked this up thinking I could daily it, but it will be a while. This was on CL in Eugene for months, for good reason. It was advertised as possibly having a bent rod. It does, or did or whatever.

Guy delivered it, and I got it running today. Stuck an electric fuel pump in it since the fuel pump lobe on the cam appears flat. That should have been my first clue. Ran it off and on, but it was banging down low badly. Checked the exhaust, the trans cross member, etc. but it was definitely the engine. After about 15 minutes of continuous running, it started really complaining, and then just compressed to a stop. Seized right up.

So daily driver dollars in the toilet. For the moment.

Already located and paid for another L16, looks like I need to ID the trans too. It's a 4 speed, but not original.

As for the car itself, it's ratty. Floors have been patched at least once, sort of. Spare tire well cut out and a flat patch panel put in. Seats are some oddball thing, it doesn't even have a front passenger seat. Dash is 'custom', but most of it did seem to function when I had it running. The rear panel and tail lights are an amazing work of coffee can art. The rest of the bodywork is interesting, but not completely hopeless. It's been lowered, but I haven't investigated how yet. It's running 15" rims with 195/55 in front and 205/50 in the rear.

So, my first 510 is a POS, and I've never been one of those guys who seems to want what everyone else does. This car sort of fell into my lap, and in it's own, disturbed way, is sorta' cool.

You all know what a 510 looks like, so just some specifics of the stuff that's ratty on it...

327_2758.jpg

327_2757.jpg

327_2753.jpg

327_2747.jpg

327_2749.jpg

327_2765.jpg

Rest of the pics are here.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Those tail lights are badass. Love the coffee cans.

Although way low buck, the coffee can taillights all work. Even the turn signals. Someone spent a lot of time on those things...

Hope you bought it cheap.

Not cheap enough, I don't think. Anyone want to buy the 521?

It looks like a 2 door to me, is there evidence it's a 4 door? I can't tell by the pics, just doesn't look like the frame extends down into where the door would be, but it also seems the front door is too short. Maybe there's a door handle on the inside on the rear?

Mike, I'm not sure what the trans is, but I don't think it's a dogleg. Reverse is far right and down. I did drive it about 50 yards, and backed it back into the driveway.

Measure the length. Looks short from here. If reverse is where you say it must be an FS5W71B (if 5 spd.) The length will tell a lot.

This thing is so freakin' low, I'm not sure how to get under it to measure the trans. I'll get the 521 wheeled up so I can use my jackstands. I'm very curious what this trans is. Plus I need to take a photo of the trans cross member so you folks can give me some feedback.

Thanks Mike.

skunk - I don't think so. It depends on how the electrics hold up with road use. Some of the wiring is pretty ghetto. I found a '69 dash for it, but don't have the duckets for it right away. The lights worked, the horn worked, the wipers worked. Both outside door handles are busted, so that will need fixed. The trans crossmember is a delight, and will probably need reinforced or reworked, the trans was banging on the floor pan. I'm not sure what will be needed up front, there are camber plates but I've no idea what struts/brakes are under it. Not sure if any of the rear seals leak, or what the carrier bearing (or whatever it's called) looks like. I think time on the road will tell. Need to get the other engine in and the doors fixed and just drive it and see what happens.

Once the engine popped, I cleaned off the rear windows and started to strip the tint. Ran out of daylight, and my fingers hurt from the razor blade. I'm going to try some ammonia and garbage bags and see if I can get it to peel off. Maybe a hair dryer, idk...

327_2767.jpg

327_2768.jpg