my 85 720st in process

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

thank for the compliment. i checked your truck out and that 620 is sick. im jealous i couldnt find one when i was pickup shopping but i made do with the 720.

i just made an ABS plastic dam to go under the sheet metal one, to correct the air flow so it doesnt get funneled under the truck. i will get some pics soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

for the last three plus weeks i have been porting my head

... some before shots

DSCF1991.jpg

DSCF1993.jpg

some after shots

DSCF2012.jpg

DSCF2011.jpg

DSCF2010.jpg

DSCF2008.jpg

DSCF2004.jpg

DSCF2007.jpg

i also polished the outside of it somewhat. i was bored. i used some polishing compound from harbor freight and my dremel

i took the head to maslens machine shop. that is where my family takes everything. he is some wierd old dude with a messy ass shop that never loses anything and never messes up.(the best)

other than that i havent been doing anything to my truck lately. the weather has been crap and the funds arent flowing as much as i would like. looks like i wont be goin to canby in some sweet new paintsad.gif

That is a Z24 head. You have the Z20 head still on it? The only Z20 head that will increase compression is the '84-'86 head from the Mileage Option Z20S motor. It has the much smaller combustion chambers.

i am still running the z20 head. the z24 ports are much bigger like you said, making it a much better candidate for building. i get the head back on wednesday from the machine shop. i think its goin to rip, make my cam more noticable. when i do man up and go higher compression i will do it with pistons.

thanks for the advice mike.

i have an air fuel ration in the mail that will make tuning carb even easier, and the hpbooks "turbochargers" just in case a want to get wildbiggrin.gif.

• 3 weeks later...

so i stopped by the machine shop to pick up my head so i could get it on for canby... but he didnt even start on itsad.gif. so instead i came home and wied in my a/f meter, it works good i think, after it warms up at idle it starts to move toward lean, but not far, it stays way rich at idle then when im driving it is usually rich then cruise, its super lean like of the charts, then when i hit the secondaries its super rich. i will take some picks or maybe a video... it never sits perfect in the stoich area... kind of wierd

new news.... wired up my air fuel gauge and made a new cluster to hold two gauges, it works and shows that my carb is tuned pretty damn goodfrantics.gif

the new gauge cluster is in no way permanent, its just something i slapped up out of sheet metal, i will probable redo it using ABS like i previously did

DSCF2061.jpg

DSCF2063.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ya i should have got my own valve guides... my dad and brother have taken all thier motors (5 total) to him for years. when i walked in to his shop he recognized me, i thought that he was going to be swift, quality, and reliable... im learning the hard way turns out that the only thing he is is quality...

i think with all this nice weather and a long ass weekend (4days) im going to go to pick-n-pull.... im looking for a 4.10ish third member, pathfinder swaybar like yellow620 has, and maybe measure some good disc brakes off other cars to possibly run rear disc..

might also do some body work this weekend... i kinda started the body work, then just stopped, lost motivation on the body work, but i will get it back

• 1 month later...

Big news in my 720 history!!! i got the head back from the machine shop a couple weeks ago after running into a complication with a missing valve(where did it go). and this weekend i finally have time to swap out the heads... wish me luck, hope i dont die in the heat... i will have pics of it all

^^well i have been saving my dollars to get my head paid for rolleyes.gif

pictosaures rex gave me a nightmare last night so i decided to post my pics...tongue.gif

old vs. new

DSCF2150.jpg

cut new gasket to match

DSCF2151.jpg

DSCF2152.jpg

mark out intake mani to port match.it seemed like i took more off than that

DSCF2153.jpg

getting ready to reassemble head

DSCF2154.jpg

DSCF2155.jpg

got my sweet chain holder madde so i dont drop chain and kill someone again

DSCF2165.jpg

almost killed someone over this... toen plug wire

DSCF2166.jpg

then a torn boot

DSCF2167.jpg

old head still in truck

DSCF2164.jpg

new shiny good head

DSCF2168.jpg

DSCF2169.jpg

DSCF2170.jpg

all in all it starts easier idles smoother pulls 500 rpm more and a touch harder... it does everything it used to do but an unnoticable amount better... didnt cost anything to port, just for the resurface wich was needed anyways.. so i figure it was worth the fun, but it does make me smile when it actually pulls to five-k, when before i would be up there for no reason but noisesmile.gif

just some news of the week after the implant..... major water leak thought at first it was the head gasket spewwing out the very back of the block blink.gif but with further investigation it looks like my lower heater hose needs to be replaced or cut back to a softer section (still a pisser) im goin to drive it to work tomoro with the water spew (fifteen minute drive) (not a "spew" but like two drips per second) then drive to napa and get hose.... small oil leak out the cam cover, only to find that the super thick rubber gasket sucked inside and is no longer sealing (still a pisser) lossened all cover bolts and adjusted gasketthumbup1.gif...

almost through a tank of gas and i think my fuel economy went up a touch.. i think its because my intake ports are more evenly matched... before my z 24 square ports were larger than my z20 heads round ports.. now the mani ports are a touch smaller than heads

• 1 month later...

just a little update... made and installed a hood scoop... still need to make an air box and get a better filter.

seriously thinking about making an NACA duct in front of the scoop. the white paper is the duct template that i made...

would kind of like some opinions on the look, if i should do it or not....

P.S. for any and all unclear on NACA duct visit my thread in body/interior forum NACA duct how to

DSCF2213.jpg

DSCF2212.jpg