Save a 510 From Death [2 door edition]

AtomChurch

I felt bad for this 510 the moment I saw it. It is now under my protection and will thus begin a operation to save its life. It just wants to be driven again, but I will do it one better and restore it to its former glory.

History:

This 510 was rear ended and one of the P/O decided to just replace the taillight panel and bondo the sheet metal that was damaged [an inch thick in some places]. This was deemed as a fix and he continued to drive the car. What finally did it in was the deer that wanted a closer look. The core support was also in desperate need of a change after this.

The floors have only surface rust. After the deer thing this car sat in a garage for 15+ years.

I didn't take any photos of the car when I got it, but this is what I have done so far.

Here is a picture of the dash before I removed it. Its all pretty clean. A no crack dash.

DSC07085.jpg

Core support swap.

IMG_7354.jpg

IMG_7355.jpg

I also removed the battery tray while I was at it.

IMG_7352.jpg

IMG_7353.jpg

Then I began on the rear end.

This is what I was dealing with.

DSC07081.jpg

DSC07082.jpg

Then the work began.

I started by removing the trunk pan.

DSC07086.jpg

Then I hacked the quarters off and ground the rest of the spot welds off.

DSC07089.jpg

DSC07095.jpg

DSC07094.jpg

At this stage my 510 looked like a GTI. [imagine putting a wagon hatch on the back] haha

DSC07099.jpg

I got me a donor rear clip.

IMG_7239.jpg

Then I sectioned the rear clip to mostly match the hacked off 510's rear end.

IMG_7301.jpg

After that I spent about 3-4 hours matching the rear to the body lines and trunk placments.

IMG_7331.jpg

IMG_7341.jpg

When I was finished I was left with something like this.

IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7342.jpg

IMG_7347.jpg

IMG_7349-1.jpg

There will be more to come!

• Like 2
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured I get to learn every part of a car restoration this way. I have never done anything close to this before. I think I am doing pretty well. I have gotten some advice but for the most part I have done it all by myself. Staying up late and drinking way to much liquid energy.

Atom, so great and inspirational in that you have never done anything this extensive before! I haven't seen yo uposting much here lately, and now I know why! You've been out there doing it rather than talking about it. Kudos!

nice save!!!

the P/O decided to just replace the taillight panel and bondo the sheet metal that was damaged [an inch thick in some places]. This was deemed as a fix and he continued to drive the car.

:angry: PO's... :unsure:

mine had that plus additional silicone, to keep the moisture IN! :rolleyes:

Atom, so great and inspirational in that you have never done anything this extensive before! I haven't seen yo uposting much here lately, and now I know why! You've been out there doing it rather than talking about it. Kudos!

Yeah I have just been lurking. Haha, I haven't had a lot of time with school and this. Although its not really an excuse to not be posting!

bout time you posted this up man :lol:

lookin good!

Haha, I was going to wait until the car was mostly finished and then update it like everyday to make it look like I did a lot of work really fast, but I just felt like posting it no and not waiting forever. I can only work on it during the weekends so it takes a little longer then I want to get seomthing done. Although I have time to thinking about what needs to get done next and it makes it a little easier.

Nice!!!!

I like the blue interior :)

I have already picked out a new colour. Let met give you a hint, its not a colour found in the rainbow and its not white.

I took my new gauge cluster surround and edited it to make it a better fit for my needs. I am a shorter guy and i enjoy having my steering wheel lowered a bit, so I put spacers in where the steering column bolts to the dash lowering it 1 to 2 inches. This gives me a ugly view of under the dash that I didnt like. here is what it looks like in my current car.

IMG_7462.jpg

IMG_7470.jpg

This is what I have created for my new car. Notice the b210 air vents. I took the stock chrome ones and hollowed them out and stuffed the b210 ones in. It gives a nice trim ring around the outside and makes it fit right in the stock spot. Also notice the glovebox trim on the bottom to hide the awful look of under the dash.

IMG_7471.jpg

ya real nice save.....havent seen that lil peice on cluster that goes right under the fuel/temp gauge for quit some time....

I have one that came in every car I have gotten. I sold one without it and now i have an extra! haha. I used to have two extras but I gave one to phil.

Dang man, kudos to you for saving the car. 99% of all the people would have thrown it away. I had to replace the back end of my 510, similar to what you did, but not quite as intensive. It pisses me off when a car shows up on here, with either minimal damage, or rust, and everyone says it should be scrapped. This kind of work proves them all wrong, I love it.

• 1 month later...