620 4x4 conv

Hello datsun world, im glad to see so many great automobiles. but it dosent seem to be to big on the east coast [where im from]. but anyway if there is anyone with info on how i can conv. my 620 to 4 wheel drive. She is a 1978 that was converted into a mobile home. i am very happy with Her but iwould like to beef her up a bit.. there is a 1984 720 4x4 ican get my hands on but from the looks that ican tell there not compatible. please help me turn something beautiful. into mean and beautiful...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you search at all? There are quite a few members rocking 620's on 720 frames. Hopefully mike or someone will chime in and set you in the right direction.

Where in LI are you? I was just there yesterday picking up an sr with my friend.

If the 720 and 620 are both king cabs or both reg cabs you could just swap the body over to the 4X4. With small effort a 620 KC will fit a long box frame... this is what I did. Use the 720 steering column in the 620 cab.

If the 720 motor is no good the 620 motor and tranny can be swapped too.

Need mor info right now.Is the 620 a KC, reg cab or long bed. Same with the 720.

Did you search at all? There are quite a few members rocking 620's on 720 frames. Hopefully mike or someone will chime in and set you in the right direction.

Where in LI are you? I was just there yesterday picking up an sr with my friend.

iam from the hamptons most of my life but recently bought this 620 sunline off craigs list and ive been roughin it out .ive been staying in campsites most of the summer but the winter has been a little tougher. for some reason were getting more snow this year figures. but I fell in love with her as soon as i laid eyes on her.got a good deal to 1000.00 will post picters soon as i figure this whole networking thing. this is all a first for me internet chatting but i see results. there is a lot of info out there. and i want to find out as much as possible. the oppertunity arrised where i spotted a 1984 720 4x4 on the side of the road and immediatly thought grab the 4 wheel drive. so maybe i will get lucky

the swap is not that hard, start with a truck the same wheelbase as what you have now.

this will more or less bolt together, if you want to keep an L motor in it then you need an 80 4x4

oil pan and pick up tube, flip the front drive axles to move the front diff. along with the correct trans.

to keep it simple, keep the z24.

I dont think it's possible to just swap the camper onto the 720 frame and keep the 720 cab. IIRC the 720 cab is longer

so the back of the cab will not line up.

Good luck, I'd love to see a 4x4 camper build! I always liked the Toyota/Chinook camper with the pop up top

How about a 6 wheel drive 620!!!!

A co-worker of mine took these pictures last weekend with his cell phone while he was in New Mexico. He took the pictures knowing I was a Datsun enthusiast.

He said it appeared to have a short drive shaft to the 2nd rear axle as well. But couldn't get a real close look.

Anyone know about this truck?

Dale - L320

6wheel1.jpg

6wheel2.jpg

My 620 weighs over 3,400 without me in it and the L20B just wasn't doing it. That most be way over 4,000. Maybe a chevy 1/2 or 3/4 ton with a body swap. Can't tell if the axles are wider than the truck in the pictures.

Can't see how the rear axles are suspended.... coils? Also how is the rear axle driven?

:lol: interesting.