Kelmo's Coupe Build(?)

KELMO

Well, like they say....you learn something new every day (crap). No, actually this is my first go around with a car and just learning as I go. Most of the spots that are rusted still haven't really been touched as I was not sure how to deal with it and have been thinking about learning how to weld. That way I can just cut it out.

• Like 1
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I think there are 4 maybe 5 of us Neuvo Mexicanos on here :cool:

I had to get a map to figure out where your at

I'm surprised you found it on the map it doesn't make it onto most and google and the rest locate 4 miles up the road. I still have a lott of family in Burque maybe I'll look you up next time I'm down there. Keep wrenchin!

• Like 1

Well, like they say....you learn something new every day (crap). No, actually this is my first go around with a car and just learning as I go. Most of the spots that are rusted still haven't really been touched as I was not sure how to deal with it and have been thinking about learning how to weld. That way I can just cut it out.

automotive paint supply shops carry "stop rust" paint. comes in quarts and you just brush it on. same this as eastwoods 'rust encapsulater' and similar to POR 15 (which is thicker). depending on what you're painting, it helps to thin the paint out a little bit so it'll brush on better. If you are painting something that is really smooth, you might want to experience a couple times on similar items to find the right amount to thin the paint down.

the stuff works great for painting over surface rust. I treated the engine bay and rear subframe to like 2 coats before actually painting it with a color.

• Like 1

Thanks, good stuff to know. The fenders, hood and doors are pretty much rust free (the hood was brand spankme new OEM so I had to paint it ;)). Its the sills and the quarters where the real issues lie. When I had the front clip switched over they also cut out floor pan rust (ok holes) and welded in new, so much of it has been addressed as far as the front half. A lot of the sanding and priming were done so it could be a daily during spring and summer. I keep it garaged and don't drive when it might rain (which out here aint very often). Its the typical project car....never gets finished and I always have something to do in the garage....where there is always beer :P

• Like 1

Well since I had it apart, I thought I would do a mock up with the side draft webbers............

gr021.jpg

gr020.jpg

gr019.jpg

Gonna have to do something about that brake master.....maybe later. Just gonna go stock carbie

If the 1200's master cylinder has the same bolt pattern as the 510, I have the solution for you: a master cylinder from Nissan Comp. It's a single reservoir that my brother purchased years ago. The car is still in the garage so it was never used. He did however put fluid and bled the brakes but that is all the use it got. Let me know if you are interested.

• Like 1

Gonna have to drink on tha I mean think on that a little but will get back to ya

I like the idea.....

Still thinkin and drinkin on that but, the mount holes measure 2 7/16" inches ( give or take) and the shaft measures 2 9/16" from the flat surface where the cyl mounts to where the "u" shaped bracket for the clevis pin starts (04/03/11)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So here are a couple oics of the shifter plate/boot

what I started with

wheel033.jpg

what I cut for a plate

wheel036.jpg

a crappy pic of what I ended up with

wheel041.jpg

I had a piece of sheet metal that I cut to lay over the tunnel, cut out a round hole, put on the boot and screwed it to the tunnel. Well, I cut the hole just a little too large so that is why there are the "V" shaped pieces to hold the boot down. I will have to make another but at least I have more sheet metal to practice with ;)

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

So, its time to replace the back glass weatherstrip. Never done anything like this before, so here it goes.

First, remove chrome trim..starting with the corners

TRUNK018.jpg

Once the corners were off I slid a plastic pry bar under the outside edge to loosen them up

TRUNK016.jpg

Then used a block of wood, the plastic pry bar, and a rubber mallet. Slowly but surely tap out the straight mouldings

TRUNK011.jpg

Label all parts removed.

TRUNK014.jpg

I then used the plastic prybar to slide under the weatherstrip on the glass side and the body side

then cut short pieces out

TRUNK010.jpg

Currently the glass is out ans I am prepping the opening to reinstall. The plan is to assemble the glass and weatherstrip and install as one unit.....still not sure how to do that, heard something about using a rope so we'll see what happens.

More oics later just haven't gotten around to loading them up

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...

So, I am dredging this up from the deep dark depths.  Ravaged this poor thing to get the green coupe ready for Williams 2016.....and then let her sit.  I took almost all of the interior and quite a few engine bits.  After a little more than a year of neglect, the missus was kind enough to point out that I have 4 Datsuns sitting in the shop and only 1 can be driven.  She was then kind enough to suggest that I get off of my dead butt and on to my dying feet and get some shit done, so here is the priority list........

#3. 510 4DR Sedan, needs everything.

#2. 510 Wagon, needs about half as much as the 4DR.

#1. Grey 1200 coupe, needs interior, and some engine bits(see above).

I am hoping to be about 2 weeks out from driving the coupe again but we all know how that usually goes.

Oh, and I know.....I will get some pics going on here soon before the assignation squad is released.

• Like 1

What happens when you have a boatload of black wire and some testors paint

pF9MPQA.jpg

Another one of those "While I'm doing something to the car I may as well....."

9bXONQN.jpg

• Like 1

Ha! you ain't seen nuthin yet.

At some point I thought it would be a good idea to paint the T/L frame black.  Now it seems it was not a good idea.

Gotta figure out how to remove the paint and save the chrome.  Ideas anyone?

6b79fCq.jpg?1

Fortunately, I have another set of tail lamps.

hhDT6wI.jpg

Cleaned up a bit.

cbvKFa4.jpg

Did some painting....Old guy, bad vision, shaky hands.....

6C2kFdy.jpg

The other set was not very pretty but they will work fine for this car.

• Like 2

Kelmo, I found a real cheap product that removes spray paint from plastic parts without doing any damage to the plastic.  I use it for metal as well.  It's a cleaner/degreaser I buy from Smart and Final, and it costs a whopping $8.00 per gallon.  So far, it has worked very well.  

I will throw a picture up of the jug this morning.  My spray painted mirror is soaking in it as we speak... 

• Like 2

This is the stuff.  I don't know if you have a Smart and Final grocery chain in NM, but I would imagine a similar product could be found at Walmart, Sam's, etc, etc.  It's cheap and works great.

degriz.jpg

My mirror had so much spray paint on it that the texture was mostly rendered flat by the paint filling it in.  I put this in yesterday and pulled it out for a quick pic, and you can see the spot of paint that rubbed off just with my finger.  I'm gonna leave it in for a couple of days and see how it does.

mirror.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, no Smart and Final here but I can see Walmart from my house. Thanks, I'll take a look see.

Oh and this got done. A bit of a hack job but hey, look at the whole car(knowwhatImean). Now back to the dash, my back should be happy about that.

FGKp4BP.jpg

• Like 3